Dali Oberon 5 or dali sensor 7

Snake charmer

Nov 17, 2021
Visit site
Hi all, I have just purchased some dali Oberon 5s, great sounding but at times feel too bright. Was wondering if the sensor 7s would be a slightly warmer speaker? Will be pairing them with the rega elec r. Would appreciate any suggestions. Cheers.

Okay. You've either have to change the speakers or the amp. I've heard the Elex-R and it's a good amp, but better matched amps are out there for the Dalis: Arcam, Creek are two that spring to mind. Or, if you want to ditch the speakers, Q Acoustics, in your situation, should be a better match.

Snake charmer

Nov 17, 2021
Visit site
Hi thanks for the advice, is worth thinking about. The reason I bought the Dali’s is because I used to own the q acoustics 3050i but paired with a brio, thought the sound was slightly muffled , so decided to go for some slightly more brighter speakers, it may of been a mistake as I imagine the 3050i’s would sound much better with the elex r which I upgraded to.

Hi thanks for the advice, is worth thinking about. The reason I bought the Dali’s is because I used to own the q acoustics 3050i but paired with a brio, thought the sound was slightly muffled , so decided to go for some slightly more brighter speakers, it may of been a mistake as I imagine the 3050i’s would sound much better with the elex r which I upgraded to.
That might be the case with a Brio, but the Elex should have better clarity and should eliminate the muffled sound. The only way to know is to demo some Qs with your amp. If you buy without hearing you could spend a lifetime without finding the ideal compromise.

While there listen to a Arcam amp (SA20) with the Dalis.

Worst mistake anyone to make (I've done this in the past) is to buy based on reviews alone. Hi-fi isn't an exact science, synergy is everything... reviews alone isn't guaranteed.

Reactions: doifeellucky
D

Deleted member 195594

If you're thinking of swapping out the Dali's, have you considered the Q Acoustics Concept 40's; as mentioned above, Q Acoustics may be a good pairing with the Elex-r, and the price is good at the moment.

I had the Elex for a little while, paired with Quad S2's - too much of a good thing, as maybe the case with your Oberon 5's. I ended up changing the amp in my case, not because the Elex was bad, I was just struck on the Quads at the time.

FMIB

Dec 3, 2021
Visit site
Just throwing out an alternative suggestion, have you considered a different cartridge for the P3?

Many reviews of the 5's are positive and whilst some may describe the treble as vivid, most say its balanced and nothing I read calls them bright. What Hifi say your amp is an excellent choice. I assume you have them fairly close to the wall and positioned to fire straight out without toe-in as recommended?

Snake charmer

Nov 17, 2021
Visit site
Hi , yes I do. The cartridge I’m using is the at vm95sh, was wondering whether to upgrade my speaker cables, i am using qed xt25 , which apparently can produce a bright sound, was thinking of getting the chord company c screen as being reviewed as giving a warmer tone. Any comments on this?

Snake charmer

Nov 17, 2021
Visit site
Just another thought, has anyone had any experience matching the elex r with the wharfedale Linton heritage 85 speakers? Really love the look of them and heard good reviews.

Hi , yes I do. The cartridge I’m using is the at vm95sh, was wondering whether to upgrade my speaker cables, i am using qed xt25 , which apparently can produce a bright sound, was thinking of getting the chord company c screen as being reviewed as giving a warmer tone. Any comments on this?
personally I don't think a cable change would make the overall sound that much different, if you must try some cheap copper 79 strand cable first.
if that and positioning tweaks don't work sell them on.

Last edited:
Reactions: WayneKerr

Snake charmer

Nov 17, 2021
Visit site
Hi, makes sense. have played more around with the positioning, putting speakers closer to the wall and more toed in . The sound appears to be more intimate and fuller to my ears, hopefully solved the issue, although still not perfect lol. Was surprised as i would of thought that toeing in the speakers more would make them a touch brighter? My apologies for my ignorance, as guessed, I’m quite new to the audiophile world. But loving it. 😊

Reactions: 12th Monkey

CheshirePete

Oct 12, 2020
Visit site
Hi all, I have just purchased some dali Oberon 5s, great sounding but at times feel too bright. Was wondering if the sensor 7s would be a slightly warmer speaker? Will be pairing them with the rega elec r. Would appreciate any suggestions. Cheers.

I agree, bought a pair of these on Amazon and after a week I sent them back, just a shade to bright for me as well.

If I were you I would sell them on, especially if you like the Rega. I wasn't a fan of the finish either, they looked and felt a little cheap.

Snake charmer

Nov 17, 2021
Visit site
Hi thanks for that, will probably sell them on. Can I ask you want amp you paired them with, and do you have any suggestions of warmer sounding speakers which will complement the elex r?

TRENDING THREADS