Dali lektor 2 or MA BX 2 ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Having passed on my Wharfy 9.1's (mistake) I was trying some old Celestion DL8's (2) and quickly found they were not as good as the Wharfy's by a wide margin with my CA 640 combo...Not sure if the Celestions are not quite 'right' but they sound so boxed in and almost smothered.

There are good offers on Dali Lektor 2's and the MA BX2's around....Any opinions if the Dali's or the MA's would be the best to audition with my 640.

Anyone with good run in long term use and feelings about them?

Cheers[:)]

matthewpiano

Personally, I think the Dali Lektor 2s are much better all-rounders than the MAs and will balance out with your Cambridge amp better too. They are very special speakers and you'll find them a big upgrade on the Wharfedales (which are pretty good themselves).

A

Anonymous

Thanks Matthewpiano... Do you think the 85db sensitivity of the Dali's will be ok for the 640? ie will it have enough grunt for volume and also be good at lower volume?

A

Anonymous

Hi Matthewpiano

Thanks for recommending the Dali's..if you are about do you have any thoughts on the above questions re the 85db?

Many thanks
emotion-1.gif

matthewpiano

Should be no problem at all. The Lektor 2s are actually quite easy to drive. I'm using a pair with a Rotel RA-04SE (pre-dominantly) and also an Arcam A18 (on occasion), and they sound great on the end of both. Neither of my amps are as powerful as yours so I can't see a problem. I've heard them on the end of a Cambridge 650A and the combination worked very well.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Another vote for the Dali...for the price, they offer fantastic value. And yes, they are easy to drive - I got decent enough results using them with a Cambridge Audio One, then a NAD 326BEE.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
The Dali Lektor 2 are fantastic speakers for the money. Beautiful natural sound with a great midrange, you can't go wrong with these.

A

Anonymous

Had my DL 2's delivered today from RS and my enthusiasm was a little dented when I found that both woofers are quite scratched
emotion-6.gif

The brown finish is marked in several places. Matthew or any DL 2 owners seen anything like this? They appear to be completely new so a bit weird. Have to get them replaced I guess.

BREEKO1963

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Nothing wrong. Just the materials used. I was initially surprised when I got my lektor 1's and saw how 'messy' the woofer looked, but they sound superb and thats all that matters.

Chokobolt

Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi Nooby. I felt exactly the same, when I bought my Dali's (that time, the Lektor 1's) but I suppose that's because the woofers are made of wood, and that there are veins in wood?

Anyway, they are not scratched, they just look like that. It's the same thing with my Dali Ikon 5 mk2's, only this time I wasn't dissapointed, because I kind of already knew how the woofers would look like (even though they have a different, more shiny colour than the Lektors)
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your input Breeko and Choko...I hear what you say but I still find they look odd and when I spoke to RS on the phone ...He was completely non-plussed and didn't know what I was talking about..never seen anything as I described??

These marks on the brown surface are around 3 to 4mm long and coloured white.... they are at various angles and positions around the speakers. they look and feel like little cuts on the surface.

On a positive note I fired them up tonight but only at low volume (as it was bed time) and yes, I'm hearing parts of my CD's not heard before .They also seem to have tamed the brightness of my C/A 640 kit which is a real bonus when I can test at better volume.

Not bad at all for just out of the box.

The RS chap wanted me to exchange the Dali's for mordaunt short aviano 1 XR's (mainly because he was out of Dali's)

Having given a more detailed description of these odd marks on the Dali's woofers do you feel they match what you have seen on your speakers?...From my brief time tonight it sounds like the Dali's are for me.

The MS 1XR's maybe worth an audition if the Dali's are damaged?

Any further advice appreciated
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Sounds normal; my Ikons are similar.

Do they look like the 'marks' in this photo (random find on google images)

http://www.globalaudio.ru/sadm_images/stage1/Dali_Lektor_2_%28001%29.jpg

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Lektor 1's are the same. Don't look at them, listen! lol.

Seriously, though, as disconcerting as they may look they are absolutely fine. They look old, shrivelled, and ready to crack, but just enjoy.

BREEKO1963

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
If it is just the sound being compromised that you are concerned about then don't worry, as what you describe is exactly what's on my dali's. If its the aesthetic appeal thats getting to you then you could just keep the covers on. I never gave it a thought once I heard them as the music just flows from them.

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Chokobolt:
Hi Nooby. I felt exactly the same, when I bought my Dali's (that time, the Lektor 1's) but I suppose that's because the woofers are made of wood, and that there are veins in wood?

Anyway, they are not scratched, they just look like that. It's the same thing with my Dali Ikon 5 mk2's, only this time I wasn't dissapointed, because I kind of already knew how the woofers would look like (even though they have a different, more shiny colour than the Lektors)
emotion-1.gif

Nooby. For God's sake don't go down the " backwards forwards" route. Chokobolt is right. If the drivers are made of wood, you will get a grain. It's inevitable. It may also be a feature of the speaker itself. With the DM1, EB1 and EB2, you get these anomolies in the cabinets because the veneer is wood. Fact of life.

As far as the sound quality is concerned, stick with the Dalis. You won't better the sound for the price. Forget the Aviano. After the Dalis, you will be disappointed. Just plug n' play, with grilles on if necessary. ( Can't believe I'm saying this coz I build speakers. Never mind ).

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
The Lektors are really good speakers for the money. The driver wood pulp cone looks different to the usual black cones you see in most cabinets. But then B&W do yellow cones! I can't hear any difference between the grille on or off so I leave them on for protection of the drivers. Its not worth the risk of damaging the cones. Overall the Lektor 2's are great.

A

Anonymous

A big thank you to all who have responded here
emotion-21.gif
emotion-11.gif

I would never have guessed that these marks are a feature/perfectly normal and this was further compounded by the RS chap 'not knowing what I was talking about'.

Yep GForce thanks for the pic...exactly like mine except the marks appear to be shorter in length.

No issues with what my ears are telling me. Many hours to run in and they sound excellent already
emotion-59.gif
. As said before there are parts to the music that my Wharfys were just not delivering. Vocals are particularly sweeter and that borderline sibilance I was hearing seems to have gone
emotion-29.gif

Will report back when they are run in.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts