Dali Lektor 1

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
To the What Hifi team ; your review of these speakers sounds very promising. I know the weak point of these speakers is the bass.

My question ; how much bass is there available with these speakers and is it tight or can't you hear much bass at all ?

Thanks.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I heard these at the weekend partnered with a Cyrus 6v2 amp and Cyrus 6SE CDP and they sounded great, very clear and precise but they do lack bass weight.

They have some thump but they'll not compete with the likes of B&W 685's or M/A BR2's etc...

IMO they'd be best suited to a small system for a small room etc...

matthewpiano

d_a_n1979:I heard these at the weekend partnered with a Cyrus 6v2 amp and Cyrus 6SE CDP and they sounded great, very clear and precise but they do lack bass weight.

They have some thump but they'll not compete with the likes of B&W 685's or M/A BR2's etc...

IMO they'd be best suited to a small system for a small room etc...

Any decisions made about your new system yet Dan?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
None MP... :(

I've got a few cards up my sleeve but i think im going to wait until the New Year and then go from there...

My main ideas are for the Rega Apollo CDP, possibly an MF X-A200 integrated amp and B&W 685 speakers but i may look at a 2nd hand Cyrus 8v2 integrated amp as well OR a Roksan Kandy LIII amp.

Too much to choose from currently so going to enjoy the new TV and surround sound system over Christmas and then see what happens :)

Your Denon's have made me think though... They look like solid pieces of equipment; may go to Superfi in Manchester at some piont to see if i can demo!

A

Anonymous

Cypher,

I suppose it depends on your listening requirements.

The Lektor 1s work very well as near-field speakers and deliver all the base that you might need (or be comfortable with when it comes to extended listening).

If you are looking for chest-thumping bass that will fill a room, then you will have to look elsewhere. The cabinet size simply precludes that kind of bass and to be honest, you would need to look at floor standers or a sub if you want bass that has serious weight behind it.

Having said that, the Lektors produce extremely musical and dynamic bass that is detailed, accurate and free from from colouration and distortion.

If you want room-filling sound and bass, then you should try and audition the Lektors to see if they are up to the job. They can produce good quality room-filling sound and they handle vocals and rhythms in an exciting way -so much so that you might not even notice the lack of bass.

If bass is an issue - and you have the space - then I would agree with Dan: the B&Ws 685s or M/A BR2s might be the way to go.

I chose the Lektor 1s because I had limited space (I'm using them as desktop speakers). If I had the room, I would probably have opted for the B&Ws.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the answers. I think I'll wait for the Lektor 2 or 3. They will be available at the beginning of next year.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Cypher - Why are you sticking with the Dali's?

Have you already demo'd the Lektor 1's or are you just seeing what's out there.

As people have said above; they give a great sound but they dont offer 'serious levels' of bass. I'd fully recommend demo'ing the B&W 685's as well as the M/A BR2's as well against the Dali's.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
Well, I do not like the B&W 685. Sound is a bit boring and not very accurate. The BR2 are nice speakers, I had them for a while. The review in What Hifi of the Lektor 1 was very intriguing, I'm just curious how the Dali's sound.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Thats an interesting opinion on the 685's as i would never say that about them.

Did you demo a pair that were brand new or were they run in properly? I must admit that new B&W 685's sound a bit cold and harsh when theyre new but give them a good 100hours running in and they open up to be subliminal speakers for their size and cost.

A

Anonymous

I have the Lektor 1's hooked up to an Arcam Solo Mini and they are fantastic ! I tried the B&W's and would agree with what someone else said, not very detailed and a little muddled, the BR2's just didn't do anything for me either, very average.

The Lektor's were so sharp, very detailed and the bass is there but it doesn't boom or thump like most other speakers, far more natural and so clear.

I also have Ruark Talisman II's so i'm used to decent speakers and I can tell you these Lektor's are very, very good.

I would suggest a good old fashioned blind test if possible, guarantee you'll pick these over some costing double !ÿ

A

Anonymous

Hey everyone, I bought what hi fi magazine for the first time last week, Ive always tried to avoid It as I was scared I would buy something and being in the middle of restoring my house thought that might be an expense I could possibly do without.

Well I was right,I lasted one week and Ordered what hifi's recommendation and hooked up a pair of Dali lektor 1's with the marantz CD player (CD6002) and marantz amp (PM6002), I tested it out in the shop, Played an aray of cd's including my favourite the Verve "bitter sweet symphony", wow I was totally blown away,Every hair on my head was standing up.

I have just finished setting it up at home, I have put it in the dinning room which is a medium sized room and it sounds outstanding, Im currently listening to the Vampire weekends new album which plays every instrument under the sun and find the Lektor's perfect.

Anyway Im totally over the moon with my new purchase and think it was great value for money, The Bass in my opinion is fine, I love listening to music as natural as possible and think the dalis do just this !

P.s this forum is great,very helpful.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for all the answers. Sounds like tremendous value for money
emotion-2.gif

manicm

Hi imattersuk

I'm also thinking of getting the Lektor 1s for a Solo Mini, but I'm just worried if there'll be too much sibilance? I don't mind a bright sound, I just don't want to be driven away by spiky treble.

A

Anonymous

manicm:
Hi imattersuk

I'm also thinking of getting the Lektor 1s for a Solo Mini, but I'm just worried if there'll be too much sibilance? I don't mind a bright sound, I just don't want to be driven away by spiky treble.

Hi manicm

I find them very well balanced, not what I would call bright at all. By sibilance if you mean a harshness found in many speakers then no, just incredibly open and detailed. I think that's what sets them apart and prevents the harshness, the detail. I think outstanding clarity is the description i'm looking for.

Can you not take your mini along to demo them ? Even though many people have highly recommended them, you really should try them first as they are so different from everything else in that price range you need to satisfy yourself. In all the years i've been buying and listening to all sorts of high end audio i've never been so impressed with a product, mind blowing for the money.

Hope that helps.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts