Daft old 70s hifi question

jascarb

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site
Hi

I've an NAD 3020, a Sansui SR222 deck and some old Kef Codas I think they are.

What's my next step in secondhand old hifi to make it beefy enough to drive a party.

(Sorry if it's a tad off topic, but I'm looking for step one in an iterative path to hifi nirvana.)

All the best

J

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Hi and welcome to the forum. :)

Sorry to say but neither the amplifier nor the speakers are suitable for a party. Not a very loud party at any rate.

Depending on exactly what you're after your best bet will probably be to start fresh with a new amplifier and speakers. A few questions that will be helpful for suggestions and advice.

1. What's your budget?

2. What size is your room?

3. How loud do you want them to play?

4. How do you intend to use the HiFi? Is it really for party's or do you just want something louder?

jascarb

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site
OK I'll come clean. I was Sat listening to a DJ in a pub through a couple of Peaveys. Awesome music. Anyone would say good sound. But we know better. It was gratingly loud at high middle frequencies & yes there was bass but not really. So I'm exploring the possibility of Johnny's HiFi rock, punk, ska & reggae disco. But I'm into iterative steps & trying to stay in profit.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
jascarb said:
OK I'll come clean. I was Sat listening to a DJ in a pub through a couple of Peaveys. Awesome music. Anyone would say good sound. But we know better. It was gratingly loud at high middle frequencies & yes there was bass but not really. So I'm exploring the possibility of Johnny's HiFi rock, punk, ska & reggae disco. But I'm into iterative steps & trying to stay in profit.
You can't run disco level volumes through home hi-fi equipment. Well you can, just not for very long, none of that equipment is designed for that level of output, you'll just blow it up.

jascarb

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site
:) You know when people say "it can't be done?"

I'm only really talking about one 2-hour gig a month. And if the hifi was old secondhand, then I could have spares. I could split the signal and run two amp/speaker sets, etc. And I'm only talking pubs, which are really just big living rooms, I'm not talking Ibiza

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
jascarb said:
:) You know when people say "it can't be done?"

I'm only really talking about one 2-hour gig a month. And if the hifi was old secondhand, then I could have spares. I could split the signal and run two amp/speaker sets, etc. And I'm only talking pubs, which are really just big living rooms, I'm not talking Ibiza

Try it.

Then you'll probably realise 'It can't be done'......

jascarb

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site
:)

I am perfectly aware that I'm coming in here, asking questions of people who know, and then dismissing the answers :)

But .. a mild challenge sometimes gets a way through :)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
So why are you even bothering to ask the question then? Just book yourself into a pub, set everything up and then think of an explanation for them when it all goes bang after 5 minutes.

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Although it may not go bang, it isn't going to sound very good in that kind of environment. Also you will definitely be running the amp into clipping. Hi-Fi intended for residential use is no good for pub parties.

jascarb

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site
OK so
a) can I get a route if I tone down my ambition so I'm playing background music
b) is there PA that aims at HiFi rather than bass until your teeth fall out
c) realistically I'm thinking a venue might go to £150 for some such contrbution. Do it monthly, so £1,800. Spend half of that on records. Want some left over, so £450 in year 1 if you really want a figure I might spend.

jascarb

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site
So, Lord wotsit with his country pile & enormous living room can't run 2 hours of music without blowing up his HiFi? I fear you're thinking of something different to what I'm thinking. I'm not thinking Ibiza. I want to play records in the room of a small town pub.

My plan, then, in the absense of anything here, is to find some old What HiFis, take some best buy recommendations, & work forward through the decades as profit allows.

If I blow it up or not, I'll try to remember to report back.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
jascarb said:
a) can I get a route if I tone down my ambition so I'm playing background music

I think that you may be underestimating some of the technical challenges that playing music in a pub venue brings. To start with a pub, even a small one, is likely to be a much larger space to fill with sound than your domestic living room. Then even if your hifi does sound fine in an empty smallish sized pub room as soon as you fill that space with people it's going to get totally drowned out.

Human bodies are very effective at absorbing sound you see. Fill that same room with lots of people and you'll need to play music at a higher volume level to compensate for this sound absorbsion. Then add to this the tendancy for people to talk loudly when they're drinking alcohol and you'll need to play music even louder again just to be able to hear it over all the background noise.

Your 40 watt amplifier may sound fine in a quiet room at home but in a pub you'll likely need 10 times that amount of power to get the same 'apparent' volume level. Using your NAD amplifier would be like taking a tooth pick to a gun fight and hoping you can wing it using optimism. It's just not going to work.

There's a good reason why DJ's use low quality but loud systems in pubs. It's very very expensive to buy equipment that has hifi sound quality whilst also being able to play at the required volume levels.

jascarb said:
b) is there PA that aims at HiFi rather than bass until your teeth fall out

If it really is a very small and quiet pub you'd probably get away with using some of the larger studio monitors such as the Yamaha HS8 or some Mackie MR8 both of which cost about £400 pounds per pair (they're usually sold as single speakers not pairs BTW). These will give hifi sound quality whilst also being able to play at a comfortably higher volume level than what most regular hifi equipment can. You'll also need something to use for controlling the volume with these monitors but you can pick up a cheap secondhand DJ mixer for next to nothing which will allow you to do this.

However you need to ask yourself (and be honest not optimistic) 'is this pub really that small and quiet?' If not then there's a very good chance that even these powerful and loud studio monitors will be out gunned and will be totally unsuitable for your needs. Also bare in mind that these studio monitors offer no protection from drunken idiots pushing their fingers into the tweeters.

jascarb said:
c) realistically I'm thinking a venue might go to £150 for some such contrbution. Do it monthly, so £1,800. Spend half of that on records. Want some left over, so £450 in year 1 if you really want a figure I might spend.

Dispite my suggestion above I strongly advise that you to speak to a pro-audio shop or an experienced pub DJ before you spend any money or book yourself in with a pub. They'll be able to assess your needs and requirements better than I can and give you more suitable advice on what you'll need.

You'll also need some closed backed headphones and 2 separate music sources because people don't want to sit in silence for 10 seconds every time you change the record. You need to have the next song cue'd up and ready to play as soon as the last track finishes.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
jascarb said:
So, Lord wotsit with his country pile & enormous living room can't run 2 hours of music without blowing up his HiFi? I fear you're thinking of something different to what I'm thinking. I'm not thinking Ibiza. I want to play records in the room of a small town pub.

My plan, then, in the absense of anything here, is to find some old What HiFis, take some best buy recommendations, & work forward through the decades as profit allows.

If I blow it up or not, I'll try to remember to report back.

Good luck. :)

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to keep posting (again!)

But are you imagining playing quiet background music for half a dozen old codgers sitting in a quiet put on a sunday afternoon or a large group of loud and drunken people on a Saturday night?

record_spot

steve_1979 said:
Sorry to keep posting (again!)

But are you imagining playing quiet background music for half a dozen old codgers sitting in a quiet put on a sunday afternoon or a large group of loud and drunken people on a Saturday night?

Steve's post is very relevant. How big is the room, who is your audience? It might be you just need a modest set up. A pair of Rokit actives for £400 and some cables /adapters and sources and you're done. It you might need less, or more.

It might be just two hours a month but....what do you need for those two hours? A couple of actives and an IPhone or a Native Instruments Traktor setup?!

jascarb

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site
OK y'all, thank-you, I appreciate your time and expertise.

I play in a band and totally accept there are trials of audience noise, drunkenness, fingers through tweeters and audience sound absorbency.

I'll think on..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts