Dacmagic Plus What Hi Fi review

ruivasco

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
So, I recently bought the February What Hi Fi and there was a review about the DacMagic Plus. Only 4 stars, and say that is a bit bright and lacks dynamics. Do you agree?I know the old DM had 5 stars all the time, so I wonder if competition is fiercer or is the Plus that have a few shortcomes. What you think?

wbarr

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
See comments on the review (and the product generally) on this thread:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/cambridge-audio-dacmagic-plus-any-info-yet?page=3

SteveR750

WHF reviews are not necessarily any better or worse then anyone elses, compare their reviews with say tech radar online and often they are 1 star apart.

I'd avoid 1 maybe 2 star stuff, but evetrything else is going to be potentially the one. The dacmagic plus might be a little bright compared to say a rega dac, but it's much smoother than the old magic; and perhaps a step change in prices for a DAC is not the same for say an amp or speakers.

ruivasco said:
So, I recently bought the February What Hi Fi and there was a review about the DacMagic Plus. Only 4 stars, and say that is a bit bright and lacks dynamics. Do you agree?I know the old DM had 5 stars all the time, so I wonder if competition is fiercer or is the Plus that have a few shortcomes. What you think?

I have the original DacMagic and can't get on with it - mirrors most Cambridge stuff IMO.

SteveR750

I had a 640a azur amp / cdp for a week a few years ago, from RS, promptly changed it for a NAD 352 and 541 and never looked back. Yet the CA phono preamp was stunningly good value. I like the dacmagic, its the just out of the fridge cold braeburn apple of my system.

TRENDING THREADS