DacMagic Or Harmon Kardon 990 Cd player

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello,

I own the H/K 980 Cd player but I am a little disappointed with the sound, So I've been reading up on the H/K 990 and it's has some very glowing reports. Yesterday I visited Richer sounds and the guy recommended the DacMagic to me!? I've never heard of this before and just wanted to know if anybody had any views on the DacMagic? Also views on the 990 would be much appreciated!! I am having trouble finding any Hi-fi shops that stock H/K brand so have yet to hear the 990

Many Thanks

T

the record spot

Heard the HD990 last summer and was very impressed, though I think you'd need to weigh up what you're looking for as the pros and cons of both differ. The DM will bring you more flexibility given it has a variety of inputs so you could use it with more than just your HD980. Can you demo the 990? I was very impressed with it's sound last year - never heard the DM at work, but you could at least hear it with your 980 - better still, order it online and the DSRs allow you a period of 7 days and as long as you take care of the product, with reasonable use, you can try it out and decide.

A

Anonymous

Richer Sounds suggested that I bring my Cd player and connect it up to the DM and hear for myself the difference it makes.

So I will try out. I've not had any luck finding any shop's in Bath or Bristol that stock the 990 so I am kind of stuck on that one!

The last thing I want to do is buy the 990 and it sounds the same as my 980!! Have you heard the 980? If so how would you compare it against the 990?

Thanks for your help.

T

the record spot

Not heard the 980 mate, but was deeply impressed with the 990. Trialling the 980 & the DM is a good plan though, so hope it works out well.

A

Anonymous

Did Richer Sounds explain why you needed a separate DAC? You could equally buy another CD player unless you specifically want to stream from your computer/network, and even then RS themselves sell a couple of CD players that have a digital input to allow you to stream if you did want that option.

What's you budget for this, by the way?

Incidentally, I found the HD980 a bit lacking, too.

A

Anonymous

They just said it would improve the sound "beef it up" was his words.

But from what I have read about DAC it's not what a really need.

I have a budget of £330.

As I have said I am really taken with the 990 but as I am unable to find any dealers in Bath or Bristol who stock H/K 990 I am stuck with reading reviews.

A

Anonymous

Well, within that budget you can also look at several Cambridge Audio players, plus some Marantz and NAD.

The HD 990 is available at about the £350 mark, though I notice the John Lewis online shop has them at £399 so maybe they could organise for you to hear one in your local store?

A

Anonymous

Well I just based it on the reviews I have read on the 990...Do you think that there will not much difference in the sound quality?

T

the record spot

Depends what you partner it with - it benefits from a good amp (I heard it with the HK990 amp) and a pair of Dali Ikon 5s and it sang. Lacking it wasn't!

A

Anonymous

Harmon/Kardon 980 Amp and Mission M35i.........Please don't tell me I need a better amp

T

the record spot

Not at all - I think the 980 has 80wpc, so it's not lacking in oomph. See how you get on and what the demo brings. Take it from there.

T

the record spot

Yep; agreed MP. More oomph and a better speaker, try landing - if you have the room - Q Acoustics 1050i if you can get a pair, or the new 2050s. Both will deliver handsomely I imagine.

A

Anonymous

If the DAC sounds better than the DAC in the current CD player it is the best bet by far as it then allows you to start looking at high definition and more flexible music options.

A

Anonymous

I have only just [ a couple of years ago ] started using a separate dac, it has made an average player [ cheapo Cambridge ] sound pretty good. I plugged in a really ancient Rotel using the coax and it was like a new toy again, even compared with using expensive interconnects straight to amp. It would give you more flexibility with kit and really can improve the sound.

I also use mine with the old mini disc machine, what a difference over cable to amp option, I can switch between the two and I would not go back to the old way :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts