DacMagic help: no sound

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

Hopefully someone here can help regarding current sound issue on my DM box.

I'm trying to use my laptop as source for the DM. All seems connected normally. The "C-Media" driver seems installed and "new device is ready to use".

HOWEVER, the sound (from iTunes) still coming from the soundcard of my laptop instead of coming out from my stereo speakers.

I CAN hear the windows jingles and other beeps through the speakers though. Which is more or less the exact opposite of what I'm trying to get.

Please please please. Many thanks.

mattc76

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Try going into control panel - audio devices and have a fiddle. Sorry can't be more specific than that 'cos I don't use my dacmagic via usb BUT I have run 2 soundcards side by side and had to do some configuration in control panel to get the right one used with the correct application....

A

Anonymous

mattc76:Try going into control panel - audio devices and have a fiddle. Sorry can't be more specific than that 'cos I don't use my dacmagic via usb BUT I have run 2 soundcards side by side and had to do some configuration in control panel to get the right one used with the correct application....

Thanks,

I've been around all Sound options in Control Panel to no avail so far.

I feel stumped. :eek:(

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Cambridge Audio seem to have ommitted to publish a handy set-up guide for their DAC users so here is an excellent one that applies just as well.....

http://extra.benchmarkmedia.com/wiki/index.php/ITunes-QuickTime_for_Windows_-_Setup_Guide

I have picked out the iTunes for Windows section for you as that is what you say your set-up is.

I adhere to it slavishly and have never had a problem.

Here are a couple of links (for XP or Vista) which may also assist....

http://extra.benchmarkmedia.com/wiki/index.php/Windows_XP_Audio_Playback_-_Setup_Guide

http://extra.benchmarkmedia.com/wiki/index.php/Windows_Vista_Audio_Playback_-_Setup_Guide

A

Anonymous

Thanks Chebby.

It IS working fine in Windows Media Player.

I need to go check QuickTime settings.

Is there any audio settings in iTunes? Couldn't really see much there.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Open Quicktime.

'Edit' then 'Quicktime Preferences'

'Audio' tab

In 'Sound out' boxes set 'size' to 24 bit and 'rate' to 44.1khz

Apply then OK

(Quicktime is the 'engine' for iTunes in Windows. On a Mac these settings are found in 'Audio-Midi-Setup')

Now open iTunes and turn off 'Sound Enhancer' and 'Sound Check'

'Edit' then 'preferences' then 'playback'

Also ensure both iTunes master volume and the laptop's master volume are always set to maximum. (Or 'unity gain' as Benchmark very poshly call it.)

Also go to the control panel then 'sounds and Audio Devices'

Audio tab then 'Sound Playback' then 'Advanced' then 'Performance' then 'Audio Playback'

Set 'sample rate conversion' to 'best'.

A

Anonymous

I updated QuickTime to v 7.6, and now it is working. I don't know if the 2 are related. No idea.

Anyway, thanks Chebby for the pointers.
emotion-21.gif

Have a drink on me tonight!
emotion-22.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts