DAC With Audiolab 8200CD and Sonos

gareth133

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I listen to music using a Sonos system. My music is ripped directy from the CD into FLAC and stored on a network drive. My Sonos is connected to my Audiolab 8200CD and it is played through the Audiolab to my hi fi speakers using its built in DAC.

Would introducing another DAC to the system improve the sound in any way or is the built in DAC in the 8200CD good enough to give FLAC the best sound? I'm a novice here so I'm not too sure!

Thanks.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Change the sound? Possibly, improve, impossible to say without a direct comparison but, given that Audiolab's own MDAC (which has the same DAC as your CD) is 5-600 quid you'd need to be spending a fair amount more than that to get any improvement I'd say and that's not guaranteed (there are many here that say all DACs sound the same and the only differences you'll hear are differences in output level).

If you're prepared to spend well into 4 figures and you can get a easy demo then give it a try but I'd be tempted not to worry about it.

What are your amp and speakers? You're far more likely to get an improvement by changing one of those.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Out of interest and it may help you answer your own question. Does the sound improve when played via the Audiolab DAC compared to a direct analouge conection from the Sonos to your amp?

TRENDING THREADS