DAC with Apple TV in to Sony Receiver?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

I currently have my apple tv2 feeding via hdmi in to my sony str-da5200es receiver. I use the A-TV for video and music.

Given the recent focus on DAC products, I am thinking about putting a DAC in between them. Does anyone have experience of this? is there any downside? what are the logistics in terms usage - ie. i can see the benefits when playing music via the ATV, but will this be redundant when watching a film with a surround sound audio track? would i need to circumvent the DAC in this instance?

i really should know more than i do here, and so am very much looking for advice as much as anything (also things like what is the best way to have the AV receiver to be set up when using a DAC)

any tips?

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
I have an ATV2 (jailbroken running XBMC to stream off a NAS drive) and having read your post you're thinking along the right lines. However, I think if you're going to put a DAC between the ATV and the Sony AV amp then no, I don't think you'll experince much improvement.

I assume it's 2 channel audio you're trying to improve? For video, you're better off sticking with HDMI out anyway as it'll carry HD audio whereas the optical out won't - although are you likely to be streaming any HD audio from it anyway? In addition, if you use a DAC for video you'll lose multi channel as well...

My Apple TV has an HDMI output to my AV amp for video & audio. I also have an optical out into an Arcam rDAC for audio only. However, the DAC then outputs into a Naim hi fi amp, so this is where I get the benefits.

If I were you I'd look for a cheap used DAC (rDAC or DacMagic) on eb@y and try it - it's the only way you'll know. If there's no benefit stick in back on eB@y and you'll only lose a few quid a DACs are very easy to sell at the moment.

Good luck - and do post back if you try as I'd be interested in being proved wrong about my doubts on any significant gains...

A

Anonymous

thanks so much roger, this is great advice...

forgive my ignorance, but i like what you suggest about possibly hooking up the optical out to a DAC and running that as a seperate input to the amp, will this work do you reckon? i can then use airplay/control the apple tv via ipad/iphone as for music only i definitely wont need the video (read: awful holiday photos on stream)

think your suggestion of taking a punt is prob worth a go - and a certainty if you can run it as 2 outputs per the above.

many thanks again

A

Anonymous

further to this, just seen that the atv2 will always look to ouptut a video signal (apparently), so this probably wont work, if you suspect differently then would love to hear it. looks like i will just have a bash, for the sack of a few quid, its defo worth it

thanks

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Hi

Not quite sure what you mean by "atv2 will always look to ouptut a video signal ". If you're streaming audio, what video is there to output ? (Other than its interface?)

TRENDING THREADS