DAC...what to buy.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Ok, thanks for all the suggestions.

So, I got the Wiim today and have been playing with it and I'm pressed. Been using optical out into an amp playing Tidal. I'm now thinking I won't be using the laptop for music anymore, tidal offers me all that I need.

With that in mind I guess I just need a DAC with an optical input. I've put a bid in on a topping E30, currently at £45 so hopefully that comes off. I don't need two optical inputs as the TV only gets connected when I watch a film, I use a soundbar for normal listening. I can quite easily disconnect the Wiim from the DAC and connect my TV when needed.

Regards

suburbansky

Mar 15, 2022
Visit site
Cambridge Audio Dacmagic 200 has all the in- and outputs you require and to my ears it sounds great, definite improvement over the in-built DAC of my CDP and Node. Certainly above budget but maybe you could dig out a bargain somewhere.

Timbola

Nov 2, 2022
Visit site
Yes that’s true, although many people use it in static (as in non-portable) systems. I’ve had mine for probably 5 years or so in my main system now and isn’t really much of a big deal charging it and turning it on at line level. It can be a slight annoyance but the sound quality is very good at the price.

suburbansky

Mar 15, 2022
Visit site
Yes that’s true, although many people use it in static (as in non-portable) systems. I’ve had mine for probably 5 years or so in my main system now and isn’t really much of a big deal charging it and turning it on at line level. It can be a slight annoyance but the sound quality is very good at the price.

Sure - if have no personal experience with the Mojo, and no reason to doubt its qualities. When I was looking into DACs recently, said issues steered me away from the Mojo and towards the DACMagic 200, which I have zero regrets about. I find it a bit odd, though, that Chord doesn't have a kind of stationary version of the Mojo, especially as it's a massive price hike from the Mojo to the Qutest, the latter being the cheapest Chord DAC to be used with a fixed setup.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts