DAC vs Streamer

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
So call me stupid, please, but if all my music is stored on my iMac then would i be better connecting it to my hi-fi through a DAC or using a streamer? Why would/do you use a streamer?

cheers

niall

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
How do you currently play all your music which is stored on the iMac, and in future would you mind always having to switch the computer on every time you want to listen to music? What software do you use to store and play your music ... iTunes?

If using a DAC, the computer and associated music player software are responsible for decoding the music files into a format that can be converted to analogue by the DAC for your hifi. If your amplifier already has digital inputs you may not need a DAC. Most DACs are physically connected to your PC via electrical or optical connections, but some can be wireless. Your iMac probably already has a digital optical output. You can also connect to some DACs via USB or Firewire (less common). You can also use Apple's Airport express if you need to wirelessly connect your iMac to a DAC.

If using a streamer, then the computer is only acting a storage device serving the music files to the streamer, which in turn performs the necessary decoding. The streamer will have internal digital to analogue conversion (DAC) hardware. Streamers can be connected to servers or external hard drives so that you don't necessarily have to have your PC switched on, although you probably need some other interface to select your music and control the streamer e.g. an infrared remote control or an iPhone etc.

A

Anonymous

Hi Niallybin,

I am in a similar position to yourself in that I am confused as to which DAC or Streamer set-up I need. I too wish to play FLAC tracks on my hard-drive direct through my amp.

I currently use Foobar 2K, which I think has a wonderful and simple UI, for playing music on my laptop via an external USB 2TB hardrive.

Ideally I would like to continue using Foobar and somehow send my music wirelessly to my amp and speakers.

I apologise for my lack of solutions here but I just wanted to highlight you are not the only one confused by the massive range of audio based gizmos and set-ups available at the mo.

A

Anonymous

Russell Todd said:
Hi Niallybin,

I am in a similar position to yourself in that I am confused as to which DAC or Streamer set-up I need. I too wish to play FLAC tracks on my hard-drive direct through my amp.

I currently use Foobar 2K, which I think has a wonderful and simple UI, for playing music on my laptop via an external USB 2TB hardrive.

Ideally I would like to continue using Foobar and somehow send my music wirelessly to my amp and speakers.

I apologise for my lack of solutions here but I just wanted to highlight you are not the only one confused by the massive range of audio based gizmos and set-ups available at the mo.

The Audio pro wireless dongle thing seems a good fit for you.

http://www.audiopro.com/products/living-wf100

Andrew has written about it on his blog here

http://www.whathifi.com/blog/simpler-streaming-hands-on-with-audio-pros-wf100-wireless-solution

To the OP, In the simplest way, you don't need anything other than a lead to connect an amplifier to your iMac (3.5mm phono to twin RCA). You will then be using the DAC inside the computer. An external DAC might provide higher quality, but is not needed in the 1st instance.

A streamer will generally be used to play files on a computer or NAS drive, wirelessly or wired. It depends on the position of your computer. If it's close to the Hi-Fi, then that is obviously unnecessary.

I don't know much when it comes to Apple, but you should probably investigate Airport express/Apple TV. I use Squeezebox, which I would definitely recommend.

A

Anonymous

snivilisationism said:
The Audio pro wireless dongle thing seems a good fit for you.

http://www.audiopro.com/products/living-wf100

Andrew has written about it on his blog here

http://www.whathifi.com/blog/simpler-streaming-hands-on-with-audio-pros-wf100-wireless-solution

Thanks so much Sniv for your above advice on the AudioPro Wireless Dongle thing. I have read pretty much every review going and it seems to fit my needs perfectly.

The only thing I can't seem to find much comment on is the internal DAC and resulting sound quality delivered. Do you think it would be worth an additional standalone DAC between the AudioPro Wireless Dongle Reciever and my Amp?

Thanks again.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
niallybin said:
So call me stupid, please, but if all my music is stored on my iMac then would i be better connecting it to my hi-fi through a DAC or using a streamer? Why would/do you use a streamer?

cheers

niall

I asked a very similar question not so long ago. http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/what-do-these-expensive-digital-streaming-devices-actually-do

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts