DAC suggestions for vinyl sound

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

TrevC

lpv said:
Andrewjvt said:
Nigel Proctor said:
Infiniteloop said:
NSA_watch_my_toilet said:
Tube have distortion too. I'm not going the Marshall way, but even in hifi, you will have a quick distorsion raise with tubes.

Or do you mean something else ?

Yes of course Tubes have distortion, but the difference is that Tubes tend to produce the kind of distortion that sounds good to the ear. Transistors distort too, to a lesser extent, but the distortion they produce is different, and the ear doesn't like it.

But what is the point of adding a token valve to something like a DAC? It's just a sales gimmick. Transistor small signal amplifier distortion is so low as to be negligable. It certainly can't be heard in a quality design.

Why do you have the same id picture as trevor c?

the beard guy is zoomed in..

God moves in mysterious ways, LOL.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Nigel Proctor said:
Infiniteloop said:
NSA_watch_my_toilet said:
Tube have distortion too. I'm not going the Marshall way, but even in hifi, you will have a quick distorsion raise with tubes.

Or do you mean something else ?

Yes of course Tubes have distortion, but the difference is that Tubes tend to produce the kind of distortion that sounds good to the ear. Transistors distort too, to a lesser extent, but the distortion they produce is different, and the ear doesn't like it.

But what is the point of adding a token valve to something like a DAC? It's just a sales gimmick. Transistor small signal amplifier distortion is so low as to be negligable. It certainly can't be heard in a quality design.

Valves made by different companies often have different sound characteristics. This allows you to fine tune the sound depending on your tastes. Valve Amp users refer to this as 'Tube Rolling' and its part of the joy of using one. I guess the same effect can be achieved by 'rolling' tubes in the DAC.

Hi guys.

I am much appreciating your opinions and suggestions. I've been looking at the suggestions but ended up with a Peachtree Dac-it picking it up Tuesday used for 100 quid. My local dealer suggested this and I thought it may well be worth a try. If it's no good, it shouldn't be the end of the world.

Best regards
Mathias

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Mathias Frøslev said:
Hi guys.

I am much appreciating your opinions and suggestions. I've been looking at the suggestions but ended up with a Peachtree Dac-it picking it up Tuesday used for 100 quid. My local dealer suggested this and I thought it may well be worth a try. If it's no good, it shouldn't be the end of the world.

Best regards Mathias

Be sure to report back with your thoughts.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts