DAC/Preamp for Active Speakers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
shooter said:
Do you need a dac with pre?

I've played around and owned a few but now run a dac with no pre and use the media player on the pc to control the volume and eq, it opens up other possibilities if you run a system similar to this.

I'd prefer it because I'm not planning to run it off a computer. At the moment I use an iPod classic with digital transport, so I'll probably keep using that till it dies. I also like the idea of running it straight off a Synology NAS, but I'm not sure (i.e. I haven't bothered checking) whether Synology's app. would allow for volume control through the DAC.

Thanks, MattSPL. The price is right and it offers all the capabilities that I'm looking for in the size I want. It even has switchable voltage like the Benchmark. I just have to get over my prejudices about brands without a distributor where I live and "copies" of other brands/products.

I need to get out there and start auditioning. First of all I need to see what something like the A7X would bring compared to my PMC DB1i considering that they are similar prices here for a pair, but the Adams include amplification, so I'm worried that it may be a step down in many ways. I'm hoping the Adams bring more clarity/transparency/resolution and a bit more bass extension, but I assume I'll lose some of the lushness the PMCs give me, which I'm fine with as long as it still sounds very "real".

Anyway, this weekend will be spent auditioning new fridges and ovens.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
DocG said:
ID. said:

Choose one with a good HAF* ;)

*: Husband Acceptance Factor

Seeing as we have an open kitchen that effectively is part of the living room (i.e. listening room) I want to get one that runs as quietly as possible. I wonder if I could get it to function as a bass trap somehow...

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
ID. said:
DocG said:
ID. said:

Choose one with a good HAF* ;)

*: Husband Acceptance Factor

Seeing as we have an open kitchen that effectively is part of the living room (i.e. listening room) I want to get one that runs as quietly as possible. I wonder if I could get it to function as a bass trap somehow...

Don't buy a Bosch then :)

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
No problem ID.

I understand what you mean about non mainstream brands and copies. I took the chance with the Quattro as i wanted a Benchmark Dac1 but couldn't afford one. I ordered my Dac from Tam audio and it arrived in about 5 days i think which is impressive from China. Remember to add the optional remote while ordering, i think it's $5 or something like that.

If your happy with your DB1i's but want to go active, keep an eye out for some Digidesign RM1's or RM2's. They were made by PMC for Digidesign.
The RM1 is similar in size to the DB1i, the RM2 is similar to the TB2i.
They are discontinued now, but if you can get some cheap like i did, they are great for the money.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
AlmaataKZ said:
Somewhere in the "active speakers club" thread there is a number of dac pres listed.

Thanks. I think there were more listed on a thread on hddaudio.net

BTW, I don't think the TEAC listed in the Active Speakers Club thread doubles as a pre, despite the fact that TEAC claim on their website that it can be used for their active speakers, unless you are counting the headphone out. I think the volume control is on their speakers (which may be powered rather than active).

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
ID,

Have a go at Musical Fidelity M1 SDAC if you can audition one in Japan. Not sure about compatability with your active speakers but it was a joy for me using the unit for a month or so.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
El Hefe said:
ID,

Have a go at Musical Fidelity M1 SDAC if you can audition one in Japan. Not sure about compatability with your active speakers but it was a joy for me using the unit for a month or so.
Available and a good bit cheaper than the M-DAC, but I'd have to go to Osaka to audiion it, which would cost more than ther difference between the m1 SDAC and some others I'm considering.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
ID. said:
El Hefe said:
ID,

Available and a good bit cheaper than the M-DAC, but I'd have to go to Osaka to audiion it, which would cost more than ther difference between the m1 SDAC and some others I'm considering.

Real life eh, just keeps getting in the way...... :wall:

You need to make some decisions and get this sorted otherwise you are going to end up like me, the perennial window shopper.

At least I have an excuse, lack of funds due to the expense of living away from home.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I quite enjoy window shopping. It was only a couple of weeks ago I was considering a 2nd hand Luxman Amp and an Onkyo DAC-1000, which probably would also sound great with my speakers, but be quite a different presentation to active studio monitors. I will get around to audtioning, which will probably mean a trip to Akihabara where I may well get totally sidetracked by some completely different kit I had never contemplated :)

I have the funds, but not the space. I also need time to convince/judsitfy to myself that I need or want (or don't want) to do this. My wife isn't impressed, but she won't fuss too much. If I had the space I'd keep my current kit as well because I do enjoy what it does, but I like a variety of sounds. Maybe collecting headphones would be a more reasonable way to achieve that, but I need the visceral impact and soundstaging of speakers.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
ID. said:
I quite enjoy window shopping. It was only a couple of weeks ago I was considering a 2nd hand Luxman Amp and an Onkyo DAC-1000, which probably would also sound great with my speakers, but be quite a different presentation to active studio monitors. I will get around to audtioning, which will probably mean a trip to Akihabara where I may well get totally sidetracked by some completely different kit I had never contemplated :)

I have the funds, but not the space. I also need time to convince/judsitfy to myself that I need or want (or don't want) to do this. My wife isn't impressed, but she won't fuss too much. If I had the space I'd keep my current kit as well because I do enjoy what it does, but I like a variety of sounds. Maybe collecting headphones would be a more reasonable way to achieve that, but I need the visceral impact and soundstaging of speakers.

In my younger days I always tried to have two systems, a 'proper' hi-fi and something for fun, a 'party system' if you will.

For a while I had a pair of JBL 4333 studio monitors, 15' bass, compression driver, the whole nine yards. Bi amped with Crown DC300a and D150, a truly classic combinations.

I used to get to go to a lot of parties.......!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts