DAC Power Requirements Query

Witterings

If I'm using a Topping E30 DAC and it says it's power requirements are 5v 1A .... is there any advantage of using say a 2A supply instead or am I more likely to damage it?

I'm asking for 2 reasons, 1 if there's any potential upside in sound quality but 2 I've been running it on a USB hub / splitter like this

into a 1A plug and it keeps cutting out, I'm trying to work out if it's the DAC itself or the power supply.

Gray

No harm at all in using a 2A PSU.
The DAC will only take what it needs.

There should be no cut outs when used directly on the 1A supply.

I would give the DAC it's own (unshared) PSU if you can.

Last edited:

Witterings

Cheers for the replies, @Gray ... I have swapped it for it's own wall plug and it seems to have stopped it happening.
I wonder if I swapped the 1A one the USB Hub's plugged into for a 2A one of it'd stop it, I just have a sortgae of power points in this area.

Also, Anker has a very good reputation.

Do agree, I've had a few of their things, currently use their Soundcore Motion + as a BT speaker mainly for when I'm doing jobs in the garden and it's brilliant.

Last edited:

Gray

I wonder if I swapped the 1A one the USB Hub's plugged into for a 2A one of it'd stop it
Yes, give that a try.

When Topping specify a 1A supply, they will have allowed leeway, so you can be certain that it will actually be drawing less current - probably not even half that amount.

Even so, when the hub was sharing the 1amp, it seems the other device(s) were drawing enough of the 1A to prevent the DAC getting what it needs.

Well worth trying the hub with a 2A (or more) supply 👍

(The purists would frown upon using a DAC from a shared supply - but then they would, as even standard (switched mode) power supplies aren't good enough according to them 🤨).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts