DAC plus digital amp + passive speaker, or DAC plus pre + active speaker?

leoph

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys. I was considering for DAC plus digital amplifier + a pair of standmount passive speakers. Some guys recommend DAC plus pre + a pair of active speakers. Which solution will you recommend?

I am new to HiFi. Thanks very much for your recommendation! :help:

leoph

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Not sure yet. Maybe less than 1000 pounds. How abou the comparison for:

NAD D3020 + Dynaudio X12 or

Cambridge Audio DAC magic plus + Dynaudio BM5A

or any good recommendation? Thanks for help!

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Really there so many combinations, I did not like the Dyn X12s, they seem to be a bit love or hate sort of speaker so careful auditioning will be required. If you can wait a few months I would have a look for the new AVI DM5s speakers (699) they are active but need a pre/dac which will cost £100 or more. Wherabouts are you located.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I would think that rather a lot depends on where you are located and what sort of equipment is available to you. Also whether you want the sevices of a dealer to audition and provide backup or whether you are prepared to step out on your own.

In your price range the best vaue in active speakers are those sold as 'near field monitors', mostly through pro-audio/music shops. For a flavour of what is available try the following link, they are a reputable company with plenty of choice and ship all over europe.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/active_nearfield_monitors.html

If you prefer to stick to hi-fi brands, the choice is much narrower, try Dynaudio, AVI, Kef among others.

Dac/pre-amps are more difficult, there are few from mainstream companies that fall into this price range, the Dacmagic Plus is a safe but to me uninspiring option and I am struggling to think of others.

Once again try the net, Google brands like Aune (X1) and Matrix (Mini-I) or reliable Hong kong based retailers like Tam's Audio.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
leoph said:
Not sure yet. Maybe less than 1000 pounds. How abou the comparison for:

NAD D3020 + Dynaudio X12 or

Cambridge Audio DAC magic plus + Dynaudio BM5A

or any good recommendation? Thanks for help!

I have had this combination and it works very well.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts