DAC Magic compared to my Arcam CD192

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

AKL:
ddias, my experience is different from yours. I have compared my Audiolab8000CD via digital co-axial into DACMagic, plus a friend's Cyrus CD6SE direct into the PreVS2, versus Apple Lossless files into DACMagic via a fairly new Airport Express. Both of us agreed there really isn't much in it and sometimes found it hard to tell which is which. Lossless sounds "different" from CDs and again sounds "different" from using the Audiolab as CD Transport BUT I would not say the sound quality is any worse than CDs. The DACMagic (and Beresford 7520 for that matter) is very good value for money and I don't plan on getting another CD player ever!

Curious and curiouser. I get the odd feeling that the DacMagic is fine but it's my source (either airport express, lossless files, or both) that are somehow poorer than the digital output on my CD player. That said, I'm not losing too much sleep over it. For background listening the airport/Dac combo is great, it's just when I sit down to listen intently that I start to get critical whereas with my CD player I just enjoy the music.

Have blown this year's hifi upgrade budget (aside maybe for mains conditioning and some new interconnects)o going to have to live it with whatever.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts