Dac for a5+

cagriyil

Aug 11, 2021
Visit site
Hi everyone,
First of all, I'm really happy to be part of this forum!
I just got Audioengine a5+ and looking for a Dac to use it with computer ( tidal and other high-res audio )
As they are MQA-compatible, I'm considering Brands such as CambridgeAudio, IFI, Topping, AudioQuest and SMSL.
My budget is maximum $250.
Thanks!

cagriyil

Aug 11, 2021
Visit site
Much of a muchness here I feel. The only one I have heard is the iFi so, if it has the connections you need them money well spent......

I don't have to spend $250, it is just the maximum budget. Also, the country I live in is really expensive because of taxes so keep that in mind.
For example, if a Dac's price is $100 in US, it is at least $150 in my country.

ThisIsJimmy

Nov 11, 2020
Visit site
Your speakers look to require Stereo (RCA).

A few suggestions:

- Schiit Modi 3 for $99
- Geshelli Labs J2 $250
- JDS ATOM DAC+ $109
- Topping E30 $150

If you must have MQA, then that's outside your budget from the brands you have listed. The Topping EX5 for example comes in at $350

These prices are all list prices on websites and do not reflect any local taxes you will have to pay.

D

Deleted member 116933

Hi everyone,
First of all, I'm really happy to be part of this forum!
I just got Audioengine a5+ and looking for a Dac to use it with computer ( tidal and other high-res audio )
As they are MQA-compatible, I'm considering Brands such as CambridgeAudio, IFI, Topping, AudioQuest and SMSL.
My budget is maximum $250.
Thanks!

The only one I’ve heard out that bunch is the audioquest, black version. And tbh honest it knocks on the heals of the chord Hugo 2 and qutest ( which I currently own) it really is that good and made me question my choice of dac that’s for sure. If don’t need input switching and multiple connections I’d get that. And because it’s coming directly from a computer maybe factor in a jitter bug or move up to the cobalt as it has better noise rejection. All colours do mqa I believe and all do hires blah blah. More than you will ever need.

Just my 2 cents

cagriyil

Aug 11, 2021
Visit site
Your speakers look to require Stereo (RCA).

A few suggestions:

- Schiit Modi 3 for $99
- Geshelli Labs J2 $250
- JDS ATOM DAC+ $109
- Topping E30 $150

If you must have MQA, then that's outside your budget from the brands you have listed. The Topping EX5 for example comes in at $350

These prices are all list prices on websites and do not reflect any local taxes you will have to pay.

Unfortunatly, I can't buy modi in my country but I will consider E30.

Reactions: Tinman1952

cagriyil

Aug 11, 2021
Visit site
The only one I’ve heard out that bunch is the audioquest, black version. And tbh honest it knocks on the heals of the chord Hugo 2 and qutest ( which I currently own) it really is that good and made me question my choice of dac that’s for sure. If don’t need input switching and multiple connections I’d get that. And because it’s coming directly from a computer maybe factor in a jitter bug or move up to the cobalt as it has better noise rejection. All colours do mqa I believe and all do hires blah blah. More than you will ever need.

Just my 2 cents

yes, I'm considering those options and good to hear a comment about them. I don't need multiple inputs etc, I will just use a5+ with my computer. All I need is a rca connection.

ThisIsJimmy

Nov 11, 2020
Visit site
If you are anal about SINAD and have the hearing of a bat….🙄
If that's the only thing you take out of actual device testing, then that say's everything really doesn't it.

The purpose of me referencing that as a source to check out is that OP can then check and confirm the performance of the devices he is looking to purchase before doing so, so he is aware of:
- Any device quirks
- The device performance on different outputs, inputs, filters, etc.
- To be sure he is getting the best value for his money which he is going to be spending over the odds for in the first place.

If you have something against the site, fine, but do not knock it as a primary source of good information and intel on AV gear.

Gray

If that's the only thing you take out of actual device testing, then that say's everything really doesn't it.

The purpose of me referencing that as a source to check out is that OP can then check and confirm the performance of the devices he is looking to purchase before doing so, so he is aware of:
- Any device quirks
- The device performance on different outputs, inputs, filters, etc.
- To be sure he is getting the best value for his money which he is going to be spending over the odds for in the first place.

If you have something against the site, fine, but do not knock it as a primary source of good information and intel on AV gear.
Chill out there Jimmy.
That site has its uses - not least maybe to point out the technical duffers*.
If you've read it, you'll see that the man has a fantastic CV, he knows his stuff and there can't be anyone, anywhere that's tested as many DACs as he has.
I've said before that, to many, he seems to have a God-like status.

However, he himself has pointed out that many of the DACs measure so well, that comparisons are, to all intents and purposes, meaningless once they get as far beyond excellent as many currently are.....and I think that was the point Tinman was making.

Some of his other observations, though no worse than any other product reviewer, should perhaps be taken with the same pinch of salt.
He described the PMC twenty21 speaker, for example, as a 'failure of design', I think he said it was the worst speaker PMC have ever made.
He's entitled to his opinion, but it's not a conclusion that any other reviewer or owner has come to.

*Although I think he technically slated the Zen DAC, but plenty of people are happy with the sound of that.....again, for those fully into the specs, great site. Otherwise, maybe it should be be treated with the same caution as any other review source.

Tinman1952

Chill out there Jimmy.
That site has its uses - not least maybe to point out the technical duffers*.
If you've read it, you'll see that the man has a fantastic CV, he knows his stuff and there can't be anyone, anywhere that's tested as many DACs as he has.
I've said before that, to many, he seems to have a God-like status.

However, he himself has pointed out that many of the DACs measure so well, that comparisons are, to all intents and purposes, meaningless once they get as far beyond excellent as many currently are.....and I think that was the point Tinman was making.

Some of his other observations, though no worse than any other product reviewer, should perhaps be taken with the same pinch of salt.
He described the PMC twenty21 speaker, for example, as a 'failure of design', I think he said it was the worst speaker PMC have ever made.
He's entitled to his opinion, but it's not a conclusion that any other reviewer or owner has come to.

*Although I think he technically slated the Zen DAC, but plenty of people are happy with the sound of that.....again, for those fully into the specs, great site. Otherwise, maybe it should be be treated with the same caution as any other review source.
Spot on Gray…👍

cagriyil

Aug 11, 2021
Visit site
What about the Topping d10s, any users or experiences?
Some people say that Dacs have a huge impact on sound, some argue the opposite.
Therefore, I want to start with an afortable option.

camcroft

I have the Zen Dac V2 as my desktop unit and its brilliant and funnily enough I have the Audioengine 5+ in my conservatory both of these units have RCA inputs on them so I should think that they would work perfectly together. In my opinion ( Mine only ) you cant go wrong with iFi products I have 4 of them 2 of which replaced Schiit products.

Reactions: cagriyil

cagriyil

Aug 11, 2021
Visit site
I have the Zen Dac V2 as my desktop unit and its brilliant and funnily enough I have the Audioengine 5+ in my conservatory both of these units have RCA inputs on them so I should think that they would work perfectly together. In my opinion ( Mine only ) you cant go wrong with iFi products I have 4 of them 2 of which replaced Schiit products.

Can you describe the difference between schiit and ifi products that you used?
I'd like my a5+ to be a little bit "colored"

cagriyil

Aug 11, 2021
Visit site
I could give you a more affordable USB (and coax) DAC option but it wouldn't look as good.

If you're not bothered about the MQA you originally mentioned, l'm sure that D10S would be fine.

Don't bother to mention your recommendation.
By the way, I'm no longer looking for a mqa compatible device.

Reactions: Gray

camcroft

Can you describe the difference between schiit and ifi products that you used?
I'd like my a5+ to be a little bit "colored"
To me the iFi products sound more clear and musical thats the only way that I can describe it I changed my Phono stage from Schiit to iFi and the difference to me was night and day and the same with the Schiit headphone amp. Please note with the Zen Dac you don't want to go down the USB route the version 2 doesn't come with a wall -wart wire and plug it works through its USB for power and sound and this overrides the RCA inputs the original model came with a wall-wart so it will work with RCA. Just a thought.

Last edited:

cagriyil

Aug 11, 2021
Visit site
To me the iFi products sound more clear and musical thats the only way that I can describe it I changed my Phono stage from Schiit to iFi and the difference to me was night and day and the same with the Schiit headphone amp. Please note with the Zen Dac you don't want to go down the USB route the version 2 doesn't come with a walwart wire and plug it works through its USB for power and sound and this overrides the RCA inputs the original model came with a walwart so it will work with RCA. Just a thought.

Dn'to the usb-dacs work with rca, I don't understand sorry.
Topping d10s is also uses usb for power.

camcroft

As far as I know you cant use both together maybe I have explained it wrongly but you cant use the internal speakers whilst using it in the USB mode. I don't really like your abrupt manner in the what is that nonsense business its not called for this is a friendly forum.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts