Hello everyone!

I am new to this forum and I am a newbie in terms of audio systems. I have a pair of B&O H6 headphones and I would like to improve their sound and the reason is just because I am curious to test a DAC. I would also like to get a pair of speakers for my desktop computer and possibly connect both speakers and headphones to the same DAC. I don't mind unplugging the headphones in order to connect the speakers and vice versa ( I am saying this because the last pair of speakers I had, the HK Soundsticks had a 3.5 jack to connect to the pc)

Now, what would be best suited for my needs? I don't quite understand if I need a DAC like the Dragonfly or an audio interface like the Focusrite 2i2 or even an amp like the Onkyo a9010. As for the price, I don't want to spend more than £200 for a DAC/interface or amp, whichever I need.

As for the speakers, I am not sure what the differences are. I quite like the clear sound of the H6 headphones, so I was thinking that maybe to have a similar sound I could get some monitors like the Yamaha HS7, but I was wondering if stereo speakers like the Q acoustics 3020 might be better, or even the Wharfedale DS-1. So yes, I don't quite know what I am talking about speakers wise and I have no idea what the difference between stereo and desktop speakers is.

Thank you very much to everyone, I know you will be able to solve my problems and clarify my doubts.

Vito

Hi there, will try to answer as best I can.

Audio interface vs. DAC - Audio interfaces contain both a DAC and an ADC. In other words they can be used for recording as well as listening. DAC are suitable for listening only. Both effectively replace the sound card in your computer. Audio interfaces are aimed at music production, and in general don't look as fancy as high end hi fi equipment, but can be excellent value. One notably cheap one which performs far better than it's price tag is the Behringer UCA-202, which at little over £20 is almost ridiculously good value.

The Yamaha HS7 are active studio monitors. Active means they have amplifiers built into them. It's common practice to sell studio monitors singly, but most people will want a stereo pair. So if going for these you'll need to buy two! They have individual volume controls and power supplies, so with these it would be handy to have a DAC or interface with variable volume output for the speakers.

Some cheaper active monitors (e.g. Presonus Eris 4.5, Mackie CR4) are more like conventional computer speakers in that they are sold as a pair and link together with one speaker acting as the master, and therefore have one volume control etc.

In either instance you connect your DAC or interface directly to the speakers using a line level interconnect. Note lots of studio monitors have balanced (TRS or XLR) inputs, and I'd recommend using these over unbalanced RCA interconnects if possible. They reduce the chance of getting RF interference, hums etc. Most bar the cheapest audio interfaces have balanced outputs, but they are not quite as common on hifi DAC's.

The Q Accoustics 3020 are a passive hi fi speaker. They will need an amplifier to work. You could use a one box solution - an amp with a built in DAC and USB input. I don't think there are many under £200 though. A quick search finds a Teac AH01 on sale at Richer Sounds for £150 in their clearance line.. Alternatively you could combine a DAC with a cheap amplifier. Small amps which wouldn't look too out of place on a desktop like the SMSL SA-50 are pretty cheap and seem quite well reviewed.

Personally, I'm using M-Audio BX5 studio monitors on my PC, through an Arcam DAC. With hindsight, I'd probably have gone for an audio interface with a balanced outputs and variable volume control for the speakers instead of the Arcam. Would have made things easier. But I'm happy with the sound quality, which is way above what I've heard from conventional computer speakers and a soundcard.

Hope this helps a bit.

Thank you very much. You've been incredibly helpful.

I guess that the 2i2 would do the job well, powering both the speakers and the headphones. I suppose that the audio quality would be similar to the Dragonfly?

As for the speakers, yes active studio monitors are probably the easiest option, configuartion wise.

TBH I can't really say about a comparison between the Focusrite and the Dragonfly. They are both well respected in their respective categories. It's a safe bet either is capable of higher quality output than typical computer on board sound. I've read mention in reviews of problems with some Focusrite interfaces needing to be reset after the computer sleeps, which would be annoying. I've been considering a Steinberg UR22 MkII. I tend to read the negative reviews as well as the glowing ones for inklings of any common problems.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts