DAC Choice : Is HRT Music Streamer III any good for me ?

Hi everyone ,

I am making my Hi-Fi system currently , and i am now looking for the best choice of Dac , because i play my music only from my pc , from Tidal and FLAC files , to a Nad c370 with B&W 683s2 . I have seen that that the HRT Music Streamer III is a good choice , because it has an asynchronous Usb imput , and the II has been rated 5/5 on a What HiFi review so , logically , the III is better . But at some places , people say that it's not so good because it's only 24bit/96khz, and only USB 1.0 .

Help make my choice please . My local Hifi shop recommended me the Cambridge DacMagic 100 , but i have seen its review and it's been rated 4/5 , saying it's sound quality isn't very good ..

Thanks a lot ,

Andrei

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I have a HRT II+, I don't know what USB specification it uses but I can confirm it's fast enough to receive 24/96kHz without issue. So the HRT3 will have no problems either. They wouldn't market it as being 24/96 compatible if the only interface on it was is too slow to receive the audio-data fast enough.

chelstondave

May 23, 2010
Visit site
I wouldnt worry about it being "only 24bit/96khz", I expect that will be fine for your needs (I for one can't hear the difference between that and even higher res files).

Green Bow

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
Have you heard about the Chord Mojo. It has one issue that makes it otentially not compatible as a desktop DAC. However if that can be got around it might be for you. It's a portable DAC but some are using simply as a desktop device. When charging, the battery gets quite hot. When playing it gets warm. When playing and charging it can get quite hot.

The Mojo is fitted with thremal sensors that make it shut down if it gets too hot. There have been a very reports of it shutting-off when playing and charging at the same time.

On desktop this might not happen so often because of the way the charging curcuit is designed. Basically once the battery is fully charged, no more power goes to the battery. The Mojo only draws the power it needs to play music. Once the battery drops by 0.2V only then is power is applied to the battery again.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Green Bow said:
Have you heard about the Chord Mojo. It has one issue that makes it otentially not compatible as a desktop DAC. However if that can be got around it might be for you. It's a portable DAC but some are using simply as a desktop device. When charging, the battery gets quite hot. When playing it gets warm. When playing and charging it can get quite hot.

The Mojo is fitted with thremal sensors that make it shut down if it gets too hot. There have been a very reports of it shutting-off when playing and charging at the same time.

On desktop this might not happen so often because of the way the charging curcuit is designed. Basically once the battery is fully charged, no more power goes to the battery. The Mojo only draws the power it needs to play music. Once the battery drops by 0.2V only then is power is applied to the battery again.

This forum thread is a good place to read both about peoples experiences with the Mojo, and read the answers posted by the design team at Chord. The three thermal cutouts on the Mojo are explained several times during the thread, and post 5872 mentions the max operating temperature of the battery of 150 degrees, and the thermal cutouts operating at 100 degrees lower.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-read-the-first-post-for-updated-info/5865#post_12110900

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts