DAC/Audio converter? wat is it ? wats it for ?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Just an offboard version of what's already in your CD player or other digital audio device. No you don't need one, but can improve sound quality when used with older CD players with high-quality transports, digital music players and the like.

A

Anonymous

so if i was to buy a new cd player i would have no need fo this dac/audio converter ? p.s. i auditioned the advance acoustic Stereo amplifier MAP305DA II with the CD Player MCD-203II and i was impressed enugh to put a deposit down for a advance acoustic power amp wich should be here in a few days for me to try and take home if happy with it .

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
You don't need an external DAC, however a properly chosen DAC ( that is to say you don't pair a low performance DAC with a hign end CD player) should nearly always give you a superior sound then the CD player on its own. The fact that the two components are in seperated boxes with seperate power supplies means that any digital noise in the transport section does not pollute the digital to analogue conversion process or the analogue stages there after. I have a Sony SCD 777es coupled with a Cyrus DAC-X. The Sony is primarily a SACD player but it also has a highly regarded CD section which sounds pretty good but the addition of the DAC X brings it to a whole new level. From my experiennce I always recommend the use of a DAC.

A

Anonymous

Anton90125 wat if i put this two togeter http://www.advance-acoustic.com/images/prod/ml/2007/03/9/insideMCD203II.jpg and http://www.advance-acoustic.com/images/prod/ml/2007/04/8/MDA503_900px.gif is thre a point or is this cd player good enogh on its own

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
Looks very interesting and I like the idea of valves but I don't know anything about the pieces of equipment to really make a valid comment. I would say that you should also keep an eye on the second hand market a well as all the new models.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Always....always give a long demo when buy DAC. As for transport it's all about 0 1 0 1 0 1 imo! The different in sound quality when using a £2000 one and £100 is very slim.

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Thaiman"]Always....always give a long demo when buy DAC[/quote]

Agree with that!

[quote user="Thaiman"]As for transport it's all about 0 1 0 1 0 1 imo![/quote]

Yes that true but if the disc is jumping around then there will be errors in the 010101 causing the various error correction strategies to come in to play. End result poorer sound. When I had my Audio Alchemy I was able to compare the sound using a Sony CDP 222esd (as transport) compared to the tank like CDP 557esd.

They both produce 101010's but the CSP 557esd sounded much smoother! This was easy to blind test, I and a group of friends sat with out back to the hifi. It was chalk and cheese.

The one thing we could not agree on was weather there was a difference between coax and optical. Most of us (me included) could not tell the difference. I have been told that coax is better. I use coax simply because its easier to thread around my wooden cupboard which houses my Hifi.

I discovered the same thing when I compared the CDP 557esd and SCD 777es through my Cyrus DAC X. This was much easier to compare because of the multiple digital inputs available on the Cyrus. By getting hold of pairs of CDs and playing them in sync (between each player), simply switching between input 1 and 2 you easily got an idea of the differences.

The differences however were much closers then I remember for the 222 and the 557. This to me makes sense, as the 222 is a lightweight player while the 557 is 17KGs. The build quality of the SSD 777es is similar to the 557 and is even more tank like. It weights 25KGs! I would always recommend going for a second hand monster CD player and a high quality DAC. As Thaiman says audition the pair that to make sure the combo work well together and Bobs your Uncle you have a nice sound.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I didn't say that you can't hear any different but for the £2000 transport and the cheaper one I just can't justify paying the extra. Transport now a day is a dvd rom base which will read disc without problem. The power supplies does, however, contributed to the signal. (that's why some of them is so heavy). The best transport for the money is Meridian 200 series cd player or Marantz cd 80, both can be had for around £200 ish, 2nd hand.

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
Disc stability also plays an important part. The 557 had the Gibraltar chassis made of polyester, calcium and carbon. This was a high mass substructure designed to dampen the effects of vibration being passed to the disc drive and the revolving disc. This is why I have suggested the use of a substantially built transport (tank like). We added a disc dampener made of light weight kevlar (same stuff bullet proof vests are made from) to further dampen the disc, this resulted in a smoother top end and a tighter bass. In my experience I believe disc vibration is a problem. You can test this yourself-try playing your cd with another disc on it an see if you hear a difference. Or better still get a friend to do it so you are blind tested.

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Thaiman"]^^^you try to be funny???^^^ (I hope!)[/quote]

I am not sure what you mean?? Unless you are refering to the fact I can not spell for toffee!

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Anton90125"][quote user="Thaiman"]^^^you try to be funny???^^^ (I hope!)[/quote] I am not sure what you mean?? Unless you are refering to the fact I can not spell for toffee![/quote]

I mean you asked me to listen to a cd player with 2 discs in the tray and even do the blind test!! Nobody need to try that.....the result is so predictable mate. Oh as a Thaiman my spelling, by the long way, the worst in this forum.

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Thaiman"]I mean you asked me to listen to a cd player with 2 discs in the tray and even do the blind test!![/quote]

I am serious! I don't need to do it with my SACD player because it got a heavy gold plated weight (stabilizer) but since the 222 I have used a disc stabilization. First another CD then I got that stabilization (Kevlar) mat. I demonstrated to a lot of people (1989 - 2005) who all heard a difference!

[quote user="Thaiman"]the result is so predictable mate[/quote]

Predictable Mmmm. - I predict you will be pleasantly surprised. Mate it does make a difference -small but definite. But don't take my word for it, try it yourself, it costs you nothing! After all the proof of the pudding is in the listening.

[quote user="Thaiman"]Oh as a Thaiman my spelling, by the long way, the worst in this forum.[/quote]

Just writing this reply ment that I had to use the word spell checker 3 times!

By the way where are these formating Icons I keep hearing about? I have never seen them!!!??

A

Anonymous

i cant be sure, but i believe thaiman was saying the results would be so predictable in that you would end up with a cd player being destroyed! at the very least wouldnt the player try to read both cds at once?

kungula

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
I have planned to buy a DAC to connect my satellite radio and a DVD player.
Especially DVB S receivers will sound much better when you connect them with a coax cable.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="kungula"]I have planned to buy a DAC to connect my satellite radio and a DVD player.
Especially DVB S receivers will sound much better when you connect them with a coax cable.[/quote]

If you plan to use it with more than one devices, be sure to check it has more than one inputs on the back. Or else you may have to be juggling around with it.

kungula

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="ranjeetrain"]

If you plan to use it with more than one devices, be sure to check it has more than one inputs on the back. Or else you may have to be juggling around with it.[/quote]

sure, 2 is a minimum. 4 are better of course. That is one reason why I considered also the Naim Supernait.

A

Anonymous

Would an external DAC be a nice performance bump with a PC? I'm thinking Mac Mini, which has digital optical out.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="monks1975"]Would an external DAC be a nice performance bump with a PC? I'm thinking Mac Mini, which has digital optical out.
[/quote]

Yes, using a outboard DAC will be better, if its a good one. MacMini ought to be at the top of the wish list of anyone wanting to use a PC as a source. A much better alternative.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts