MusicOwl

Dec 21, 2020
Visit site
Hi All,

I am new to thw audio world but recently jumpped in and brought myself a pair of Beyerdynamic DT1990, a schiit modi 3 and magni 3 amp
I have a pair or RCA cables connecting them and a USB-C \Micro B cable connecting the DAC to my windows 10 XPS 15 laptop

however when I set it all up nothing comes out of the headphones, however I do get sound if I just plug them into the headphone jack.
both the DAC and AMP appear to work they light up when plugged in and hte laptop even seems to identify the DAC when connected up thoguh still no sound no matter what I try

does anyone have any ideas I am going crazy with it and do not know what to do next
I appreciate any help

Stewart

D

Deleted member 188533

Most likely a Windows issue. As said above make sure Windows sees the DAC and that it's selected as the output device.

MusicOwl

Dec 21, 2020
Visit site
As you are using Windows 10 you do not need to install any drivers (see the manual) https://www.schiit.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product/download&product_id=111&download_id=33 (click the link, then open or save when asked)

What software or streaming service are you using to play music?

I am trying to listen to music online from youtube and also my music is currently all in itunes, my laptop picks up the DAC but no matter what I try I get no sound out the headphones

ThisIsJimmy

Nov 11, 2020
Visit site
Ok. Time for some good old IT101. Apologies if this has already been done or if it seems i'm insulting anyone's intelligence, I have a habit of never presuming anything as it's often the most basic of things that can be the issue.

1) Physical connectivity Check. Please refer to the following 2 guides:
Modi 3 manual: https://www.schiit.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product/download&product_id=111&download_id=33
Magi 3 manual: https://www.schiit.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product/download&product_id=152&download_id=31
a) Power is being supplied to both devices. Modi3 connected to USB (number4 on Modi manual) and MAGI3 via power brick (number 2 on MAGI manual)
b) RCA Is connected via 'out' on Modi3 (number 1 on Modi manual) and on 'in' on Magi3 (number 1 on Magi manual)
c) Input Selector on MODI3 (see number 2 on Modi manual) is set to 'Top' for USB
d) Power Toggle on MAGI3 (see number 4 on Magi manual)
e) Ensure Gain is set initially to 'low gain' on the MAGI3 (see number 5 on MAGI Manual). This can be changed once you have working sound.
f) Connect in the Beyerdynamic Headphones into the MAGI3 (see number 1 on the MAGI Manual)

2) Windows Check. As much as windows is supposed to install/be compatible with devices out of the box, 9/10 times in my experience that's simply untrue and you will need to manually install drivers.
a) Ensure USB cable is connected to known working USB Port on your laptop.
b) Go to 'Control Panel' and 'Sound Properties'. If the MODI DAC has been installed correctly, it should show in this list. It should have a 'Green Tick next to it if it's set to default.
i) If it's not showing in this list, Windows has bodged the Driver installation. Please download and follow the instructions for the Gen3 drivers on Shiit's website: https://www.schiit.com/drivers. Once done please resume steps from start of step 2.
ii) If it's showing in this list without a green tick, right click on 'Modi3' and select 'set to default'. This will ensure any default sounds will now be output to the DAC.

3) App Sound configuration.
a) Youtube and your browser will rely on your windows configured 'default'.
b) ITUNES if not defaulting to 'windows default' will need to be configured within ITUNES. This can be done in 'Edit' -> 'Playback Preferences' -> 'Playback'

4) on playback, initially ensure volume on the MAGI3 is set to 0 and Playback Volume in the following is set to 100%
a) Windows Volume Control Panel
b) Youtube/ITUNES etc

Once playback starts all being well, you should just need to alter the volume control on the MAGI 3 AMP and 'Hi-Low' Gain on the back if needed.

Once you are comfortable, you can also alter the playback and bit rate frequency from within Sound Properties. Alternatively this can also be done on the Shiit MODI3 Control Panel.

@Friesiansam and @anort3 if you can think of some obvious steps i've missed off, please say so.

Jimmy

Reactions: Gray

MusicOwl

Dec 21, 2020
Visit site
Ok. Time for some good old IT101. Apologies if this has already been done or if it seems i'm insulting anyone's intelligence, I have a habit of never presuming anything as it's often the most basic of things that can be the issue.

1) Physical connectivity Check. Please refer to the following 2 guides:
Modi 3 manual: https://www.schiit.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product/download&product_id=111&download_id=33
Magi 3 manual: https://www.schiit.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product/download&product_id=152&download_id=31
a) Power is being supplied to both devices. Modi3 connected to USB (number4 on Modi manual) and MAGI3 via power brick (number 2 on MAGI manual)
b) RCA Is connected via 'out' on Modi3 (number 1 on Modi manual) and on 'in' on Magi3 (number 1 on Magi manual)
c) Input Selector on MODI3 (see number 2 on Modi manual) is set to 'Top' for USB
d) Power Toggle on MAGI3 (see number 4 on Magi manual)
e) Ensure Gain is set initially to 'low gain' on the MAGI3 (see number 5 on MAGI Manual). This can be changed once you have working sound.
f) Connect in the Beyerdynamic Headphones into the MAGI3 (see number 1 on the MAGI Manual)

2) Windows Check. As much as windows is supposed to install/be compatible with devices out of the box, 9/10 times in my experience that's simply untrue and you will need to manually install drivers.
a) Ensure USB cable is connected to known working USB Port on your laptop.
b) Go to 'Control Panel' and 'Sound Properties'. If the MODI DAC has been installed correctly, it should show in this list. It should have a 'Green Tick next to it if it's set to default.
i) If it's not showing in this list, Windows has bodged the Driver installation. Please download and follow the instructions for the Gen3 drivers on Shiit's website: https://www.schiit.com/drivers. Once done please resume steps from start of step 2.
ii) If it's showing in this list without a green tick, right click on 'Modi3' and select 'set to default'. This will ensure any default sounds will now be output to the DAC.

3) App Sound configuration.
a) Youtube and your browser will rely on your windows configured 'default'.
b) ITUNES if not defaulting to 'windows default' will need to be configured within ITUNES. This can be done in 'Edit' -> 'Playback Preferences' -> 'Playback'

4) on playback, initially ensure volume on the MAGI3 is set to 0 and Playback Volume in the following is set to 100%
a) Windows Volume Control Panel
b) Youtube/ITUNES etc

Once playback starts all being well, you should just need to alter the volume control on the MAGI 3 AMP and 'Hi-Low' Gain on the back if needed.

Once you are comfortable, you can also alter the playback and bit rate frequency from within Sound Properties. Alternatively this can also be done on the Shiit MODI3 Control Panel.

@Friesiansam and @anort3 if you can think of some obvious steps i've missed off, please say so.

Jimmy

Success, Jimmy I can not thank you enough, everything is happy now. thank you so much for taking the time to write all the steps out I really appreciate it

Thank you so so much, have a happy xmas and stay safe

Stewart

Reactions: ThisIsJimmy

ThisIsJimmy

Nov 11, 2020
Visit site
Success, Jimmy I can not thank you enough, everything is happy now. thank you so much for taking the time to write all the steps out I really appreciate it

Stewart

No problems Stewart. Glad to be of help. Welcome to the headphone experience :). Enjoy your new setup. Any further questions, drop a message onto the forum and we'll help as much as we can. Finally, welcome to the community!

Merry Christmas.

Jimmy

Gray

No problems Stewart. Glad to be of help. Welcome to the headphone experience :). Enjoy your new setup. Any further questions, drop a message onto the forum and we'll help as much as we can. Finally, welcome to the community!

Merry Christmas.

Jimmy
Well done Jimmy.
It takes a lot of time to give the info you did.
Nice when it's appreciated too. Good on Stewart for that.

Reactions: ThisIsJimmy

aussie43

Nov 21, 2020
Visit site
Stewart

Hi, could you please tell us what was the problem?
Which part of the long description was the missing link?
Others may benefit from it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts