DAC advice please

adp72uk

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm being forced to embrace computer based music as all but my newest CDs are about to be put in the loft. I already use my iPod at times connected to my Rotel hi-fi amp with an Onkyo dock or Yamaha AV amp with a 3.5mm jack but would like to use my laptop too.

I can't go too mad down the shops but need a new CD player and AV amp anyway so was thinking about a Marantz CD6003 to sort my hi-fi (it has a USB port) and the new Denon 1911 AV amp (also with USB input). Can a PC be connected to these USBs to use them as a DAC or are they iPod only?

Other than USB is there another way of getting music off the laptop digitally and running it through a DAC?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
adp72uk:Other than USB is there another way of getting music off the laptop digitally and running it through a DAC?

Optical/Mini-Toslink if your laptop has it. (Check your specs.)

Wireless. (USB 'dongle' if laptop has no wireless built in and Airport Express at the other end.)

M-Audio Transit (if you can still get hold of one) plugged into a spare USB port then optical cable from the Transit to your DAC. (24bit / 96khz)

idc

Why not embrace the PC as your source, import all the new CDs as Apple Lossless, put them in the loft as well, where they are a backup if all goes wrong and save yourself the cost of a CDP. Then start to investigate online music such as LastFM and streaming sites such as Spotify.

DrizztDan

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
idc:Why not embrace the PC as your source, import all the new CDs as Apple Lossless, put them in the loft as well, where they are a backup if all goes wrong and save yourself the cost of a CDP. Then start to investigate online music such as LastFM and streaming sites such as Spotify.

i am thinking about doing this will post a topic soon. but basically thinking about using my hi fi through my pc. as I only ever listen to music when on the pc. My sound card has optical audio out i guess i would use that to DAC then to a stereo amp?

can anyone sugguest a decent DAC and stereo amp for this? are there stereo amp that do digital in? or just analogue>

the speakers i have are the AE neo 3 version2 floor standers

TRENDING THREADS