DAB Tuner? PP some advice please

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I want to listen to radio more, local sport etc etc

What are my options? Can I utilise my wireless to stream to it ?

How does it all work - sorry I am a bit of a noob!

I know i can buy a denon 260L cheap but i would like digital/DAB pls - i dont mind a full size unit -

PS it doesn't have to be REGA :):):):)

John Duncan

I'd buy a streamer rather than a DAB radio - Sonos connect will give you all the world's radio and more, or if you want more hifi-esque equipment, I'd consider Denon, Marantz, Pioneer, Cambridge Audio, Naim. The latter options may give you more access to 'catch up' services like podcasts etc, but I haven't tended to use them.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
i do have an ATV3 going into my DAC, might have to connect it to my telly - do you know if that provides any radio? Listen at me I am being lazy!

I could possibly connect my Sky box to my DAC?

John Duncan

stevebrock said:
i do have an ATV3 going into my DAC, might have to connect it to my telly - do you know if that provides any radio? Listen at me I am being lazy!

I could possibly connect my Sky box to my DAC?

You could do either, but from my recollection of ATV, Apple have some major omissions in their radio catalogue (like, say, the BBC); not sure if it has iPlayer built in? I don't know about Sky's radio catalogue at all but if it's anything like Virgin's it's limited to the usual UK suspects and doesn't offer any world radio.

stevebrock said:
I want to listen to radio more, local sport etc etc

What are my options? Can I utilise my wireless to stream to it ?

How does it all work - sorry I am a bit of a noob!

I know i can buy a denon 260L cheap but i would like digital/DAB pls - i dont mind a full size unit -

PS it doesn't have to be REGA :):):):)

The ONLY reason I've considered another tuner is purely for FM...

In your circumstance I'd certainly look at something like Marantz (I know its discontinued) that can act as a conventional tuner and streamer.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
ok cheers - i might just get a little portable one - i only want it to listen to local footbal radio 2 & 5 - not bothered about it going through my hifi, think it will be the cheapest option

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I'm not 100% certain, but you should be able to pick up a lot of stations through your pc/mac/laptop Steve.

John Duncan

richardw42 said:
John Duncan said:
richardw42 said:
Have you got a smartphone / tablet ?

if so you could get an app like Tunein and airplay to your ATV3.

Of course, stupid of me - that's exactly what you should do :)

i should have have said as long as it's Apple :)

There are a couple of paid-for apps in the play android store that implement Airplay, but I haven't tried them as Bluetooth works for me.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
yep will have a look - yes got iphone etc - try streaming radio 2 on my iphone via airplay to my atv3 then into my dac it didnt work, i will have a look at tune-in

thanks

PEAYEL

Dec 13, 2008
Visit site
I know it's a bit left field, but I kept my Pure Evoke 2. This is the older version with digital out. It serves as my walk about caravan and gardening radio but because of the digital out I plug it into the Cyrus decent DAB when needed. It will also output audio to the Sonos, for whole house R4,5,3 when needed. I know the Sonos can do all this, but when others in the house are on BBC iPlayer/downloading, I can still get decent sound.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
stevebrock said:
yep will have a look - yes got iphone etc - try streaming radio 2 on my iphone via airplay to my atv3 then into my dac it didnt work, i will have a look at tune-in

Works ok here.

Do you get the AirPlay symbol?

11703659324_2931750cb9_o.png

Can you click on the AirPlay symbol to choose the device?

11704044716_e050960df9_o.png

Do you have the volume muted?

Is the ATV3 connected to your wireless router with an ethernet cable?

Show us what comes up on your iPhone when you have iPlayer radio playing. (Including the control panel as above.)

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Chebby -

Yes well sorted!

Radio iplayer on my iphone streaming via airpaly to atv3 > Rega DAC - ALL GOOD THANKS

no need for another box

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I have three Pure DAB radios around the house, an iPad & a iPhone, I use Tunein Radio on the Apple's. For radio listening on my stereo, my Panasonic plasma doubles as a radio (via Freesat) that blanks the TV's screen automatically.

Although DAB is fine for portables the whole system was launched before it was ready - it uses the MP2 codec that takes up far too much bandwidth. I was told that because it was a Eureka Project, they wanted it to be entirely European so MP3 or AAC were ignored in favour of MP2! We are left with a third rate digital radio system for God knows how long. It should have been designed around downloadable OTA codecs to future proof it. IMO, it should be scrapped & done properly using a decent codec. I suppose DAB+ is better than nothing but only modern DAB radios will be able to use it. I blame the BBC who normally don't screw up so badly when it comes to technical stuff. One irony with DAB was that it was designed to work in cars - few cars still come with DAB - sigh!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts