DAB Radios with integrated Ipod Dock?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Is there such a thing and are they any good? I would like a radio for the kitchen but don't ant to miss out on chosing my own music from time to time.

Cheers

Nathan

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
We've just tested the Intempo RD1, which is an iPod dock with built-in DAB (£130). It's a smart-looking item, but we were disappointed with the sound which is harsh and lightweight, and it struggles to pick up some DAB stations.

A better bet is the Pure Chronos iDock (£100) that we recently tested in the Jan 08 issue of WHF?SV (5 stars). The DAB radio is composed, dynamic and commendably natural. Outright volume isn't all that impressive, but all iPods are catered for apart from the Shuffle.

If you want to spend less, look at Tesco's Technika DAB407 (£70). It's properly made from decent materials, and it sounds composed, too. DAB reception is solid, if a little unspectacular.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Andy

Do you think that this the start of a new product range that more and more manufacturers on going to jump onboard?

Nathan

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Well yes, I can see the appeal of a combined DAB/iPod unit, and I reckon we'll see a few more suitably-equipped DAB radios in the future. But I'm afraid my crystal ball doesn't reveal who'll be making them, when they'll be available and how much they'll cost! Soon as we know about them, we'll reveal all.

A

Anonymous

Hi Andy, I was looking for a while for a combined Dab/ ipod dock I spent countless hours in tesco and comet testing all of the models including the above mentioned pure and tecnika models. After driving the shop assistants mental, I went for the intempo that you reviewed. I can honestly say that whilst the sound is no where near as good as that dab-less Bose and jbl models but personally I felt the build quality and sound quality of the intempo vastly outshines the other two models you recommended instead. The tecnika was horrific when the volume raised and although the pure model had better sound quality it was still miles behind the intempo imho. I suppose it comes to personal preference, but I think the intempo is streets ahead of the supposedly superior models.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts