dangerouspartridge

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
My system is all but complete. But I just want to add a way of listening to the radio, especially BBC radio 6.
I've looked at DAB seperates but the choice is very limited. Is there a better way of listening to DAB stations; such through the Internet? Could I stream direct to my Roksan K2 BT amp? Would the sound quality be as good as it would if I had a separate system?
Thanks for help in advance.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Streaming from the internet will give a better sound than via DAB. (Assuming you have a fast and reliable internet connection.)

Plus - with BBC - you have iPlayer Radio with all the benefits that DAB can't offer. (Catching up on all the stuff you've missed whenever you want to.)

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Could you not connect your Sky/Freeview/Freesat box to your amp and get 6 Music that way?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Don't worry. The displacement of your equipment has done you a favour (assuming you choose BBC internet radio rather than DAB) as it will sound better.

I consume BBC radio with FM (good roof aerial) ...

... internet (via BBC iPlayer Radio apps and AirPlay) ...

.... Freeview (Although this is rare and only when I need to set up a recording of a radio play, or similar, to my Humax PVR's HDD because i'll be away longer than iPlayer will keep the programme.)

FM and internet are by far the best sound quality. DAB and Freeview are both about the same (they both use the ancient MPEG1 whereas BBC internet radio is AAC).

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Give DAB a miss and go down the IR route. Mostly, it pi**es all over DAB. Unless you listen to Smooth Radio, whose internet stream is inexplicably rubbish, is easily wasted by the DAB feed and even more-so by the FM feed, and as often as not, is even mono. But as you're not planning to listen to Smooth, you can ignore that!

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

chebby said:
Don't worry. The displacement of your equipment has done you a favour (assuming you choose BBC internet radio rather than DAB) as it will sound better.

I consume BBC radio with FM (good roof aerial) ...

... internet (via BBC iPlayer Radio apps and AirPlay) ...

.... Freeview (Although this is rare and only when I need to set up a recording of a radio play, or similar, to my Humax PVR's HDD because i'll be away longer than iPlayer will keep the programme.)

FM and internet are by far the best sound quality. DAB and Freeview are both about the same (they both use the ancient MPEG1 whereas BBC internet radio is AAC).

I think the OP probably needs to know the practicalities of streaming internet radio through his amp, something I'm unable to help him with.

By the way Chebby, the Film Club is looking for a new member. Fancy it?

Kamikaze Bitter

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
I agree with the Major - I listen via a clapped out laptop and a fairly inexpesive DAC. The high quality stream for BBC Radio 3 is splendid. It is the ultimate listening experience - you don't even have to choose the music or get up to change the disks! Heaven.

BryO

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
I thought about DAB, but ended up getting a Denon dnp720ae, some stations sound amazing, others less so, but BBC stations sound good. There'll be other DNPs outthere but for me this one does a good job and has Airplay if that's needed.

James7

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
BryO said:
I thought about DAB, but ended up getting a Denon dnp720ae, some stations sound amazing, others less so, but BBC stations sound good. There'll be other DNPs outthere but for me this one does a good job and has Airplay if that's needed.

Given the relative inexpense of something like the Denon, which offers DAB as well as internet radio - and FM and AM too, and Airplay - I would have thought this would be the way to go. I listen to internet radio in the lounge through my Squeezebox Touch, and it sounds good on lots of stations, but this cost more than the Denon and doesn't include DAB/FM/Airplay.

I would add, though, that DAB doesn't in my experience sound too bad at all. Reception in Worcester where I used to live and Exeter where I now reside is better than FM, and I would argue competitive with most internet radio streams, which are generally very low bit-rate. In fact, I have just bought a new DAB radio for my bedside table - a Ruark Ri Mk2 - and it sounds lovely.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts