Cyrus Vs Roksan

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Ive retitled this posting due to lack of response!!  Guess the old title was a bit boring!!

Hi there.  Ive been reading what hi-fi now for some years.  Im not the richest man and at present have a CA 540 Amp, and 640 CDP paired to MS 902i Speakers.  Ive made a couple of postings with regards to DACs and upgrading speakers but i guess what I want to hear is that if I invest £1,500-2,000 im going to be a happy (happier) man.  Ive been toying with the What Hi-Fi reccomendation of the Cyrus CDP(CD6 SE)  and Roksan Amp with B&W 685s but ive just seen that a local dealer is selling the Cyrus Amp 6vs2 for a great price. Would I be better off with the two Cyrus units or mixing and matching?  Also are the speakers enough???  Cheers, Alan.  - PS Assume I will also be investing in a rack and adequate stands and cables at extra cost. 

A

Anonymous

Plenty of stores stock both brands so go and take a listen.

A

Anonymous

I had Roksan caspian intergrated with 2 Roksan power amps and they were magic through the sonus fabers when using HDCD from the Copland.

They are reasonably detailed with a forward dynamic presentation, but smooth all the way through the sonus's.

It just so happens though that shortly I am going down the cyrus route, only because I won't go to the same place twice.

Demo them back to back if you can find a dealer, try:

Roksan with Sonus, Cyrus with Spendor / Dynaudio.

A

Anonymous

Its always nice to get opinions though I find. ÿThe whole idea of forums?

A

Anonymous

Hi,

Spendor and cyrus do go very well together. The Roksan do have a different presentation though.

Best thing, is take you and your missus down to the nearest shop with them both in, and set up a demo. Your ears and definition of what you like sound wise, is different to all others out there, each person is different. Have a good listen, then make your choice.

As you would be spending quite a nice sum with the shop, they would welcome you with open arms for a demo.

Which ever system you go for, it will be very good, as both brands are top of their price bracket.

A

Anonymous

I bought the Cyrus, but listened to the Kandy LIII first. Despite being less powerful, the Cyrus seemed to grip the music better, and to my ears had more tone and clarity. Actually, I just preferred the sound it made!

There are offers around for the 8vs2 and the CD8x (the predecessor to the 8SE). I bought mine as a package for £1325 from a brilliant shop in Guildford.

I found my ProAc Studio 110's ex-demo, so paid £1800 for the lot. I'm very pleased with what I have. At some point, I will upgrade the CD player, and maybe get a PSX-R or X power, but I don't feel a burning need to do so right now.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I would definitely save up for better speakers with that amp and CDP, or the others for that matter. You need to be spending £1k at leat on speakers to get the best from your expected pairing. Get them and wait for speakers, just don't tell 'er indoors the real cost.

ÿ

A

Anonymous

Just purchased Cyrus 8vs2 amp and CD8SE but did try amp with CD6SE first and sounded great. With upgrade always in the back of the mind I enquired about upgrade from 6 to 8 with Cyrus - £565. Difference in cost of CD player at the moment £300 therefore pushed the boat out and went for 8.

If you're interest the best price I found for both 8's was Barletts - £1680. Didn't price amp with 6 cd. Good prices on 8vs2 amp at the moment - £599.

Tried various speaker as well:

Dynaudio Excire X12 - recommended with Cyrus but were a bit too bright for me

ProAc Studio 100 - beautiful speaker and if you like bass there great - really tight - but I'm not a bass fiend and it was a bit too prominent

Totem Mites - Great detail and very balanced across the ranges

Would like to have tried Splendor 3's as recommended on various forums for Cyrus but none of my local dealers had any demos.

Ended up with Totem Rainmakers [ex demo] £300 more than Mites at list price but only paid +£30 because ex demo. Love them detailed, great vocals and sound stage.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Alan Arnold:
Ive retitled this posting due to lack of response!! Guess the old title was a bit boring!!

Hi there. Ive been reading what hi-fi now for some years. Im not the richest man and at present have a CA 540 Amp, and 640 CDP paired to MS 902i Speakers. Ive made a couple of postings with regards to DACs and upgrading speakers but i guess what I want to hear is that if I invest £1,500-2,000 im going to be a happy (happier) man. Ive been toying with the What Hi-Fi reccomendation of the Cyrus CDP(CD6 SE) and Roksan Amp with B&W 685s but ive just seen that a local dealer is selling the Cyrus Amp 6vs2 for a great price. Would I be better off with the two Cyrus units or mixing and matching? Also are the speakers enough??? Cheers, Alan. - PS Assume I will also be investing in a rack and adequate stands and cables at extra cost.

As has been suggested you really need to listened to your options yourself. I had a similar cyrus system with ProAcs and it's nice but felt underpowered on occasions. The Roksan K2 amplifier is not bad for the price but I find it is polite and bass, similar to the cyrus 8vs2 is slightly loose so speakers with tight bass are ideal, I'd tread carefully with floorstanders though something like Kef's iQ range should be ok. As always, just my opinion and you may feel different about it.

Another option would be AVI ADM9.1. Plenty of info around and although controversial, very good and better than the price suggests. My choice of the three.

Like the others suggest, you'll need better speakers for this type of system. Look at PMC DB's, or the new B&W CM range (above entry level) or maybe Neat Motive 3.

As far as which amp, well both have their own distinct character: the Roksan is traditionally more forthright sounding than the Cyrus highly detailed presentation. And of course you need to allow for the slightly idiosyncratic looks of the Cyrus.

I would suggest that both should be tested (if possible) at home rather than in the retailers. Both are great, although very very different. Like Drummerman this is a personal opinion.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts