Cyrus vs Naim

audiokid

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Hello... I'm currently using a Naim Supernait with a Mac Mini, playing FLAC files via optical. Overall, it's sounding good but contemplating a change over to Cyrus. I like the idea of small boxes, more reasonable prices longer term and a different signature sound. I once heard a Cyrus 8xpd and remember liking it, but it wasn't within my budget at the time.

Im contemplating a Cyrus DAC XP and XPower (so, pre, power and DAC, like a Supernait) and potentially adding the Stream X later. I'm going to arrange some demos, but wondered if anyone has any views on comparing the Supernait (or similar level Naim kit) with the Cyrus X series? Ideally, experience reports the products mentioned if at all possible! Thanks.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
audiokid said:
Hello... I'm currently using a Naim Supernait with a Mac Mini, playing FLAC files via optical. Overall, it's sounding good but contemplating a change over to Cyrus. I like the idea of small boxes, more reasonable prices longer term and a different signature sound. I once heard a Cyrus 8xpd and remember liking it, but it wasn't within my budget at the time.

Im contemplating a Cyrus DAC XP and XPower (so, pre, power and DAC, like a Supernait) and potentially adding the Stream X later. I'm going to arrange some demos, but wondered if anyone has any views on comparing the Supernait (or similar level Naim kit) with the Cyrus X series? Ideally, experience reports the products mentioned if at all possible! Thanks.

If you are enjoying the sound you have now, tread carefully, in case you lose this, or end up moving sideways.

What speakers do you have and what other brands have you heard?

If you like small boxes, Bel Canto should probably be on your audition list.

audiokid

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I have been using a few different speakers - Harbeth, Proac and Spendor. Currently have Harbeth P3esr which are very good.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I have always considered the two brands to be chalk and cheese, with Cyrus being very "HiFi" and analytical whereas Naim is more musical. I agree with Cno that you should be careful not to lose what you have. Cyrus sounds great but it is, as with Naim, a very distinct sound.

I have had the Cyrus DACXP+ running with an X Power and it sounds pretty amazing.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
audiokid said:
I have been using a few different speakers - Harbeth, Proac and Spendor. Currently have Harbeth P3esr which are very good.

The Harbeths are great.

Are you prepared to look outside of small boxes (eg. Luxman, Sugden, Creek, Pathos, Electrocompaniet etc), and what is your budget?

A

Anonymous

IMO moving over to Cyrus is more likely a downgrade then upgrade. Have you added a Hi-Cap to your SN yet? If no, you can consider adding it, it will yield better return as compared to moving to Cyrus.

I find Naim more musical and easy on the ear than Cyrus to me..........

audiokid

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I had the D2 for while. Great speakers but preferred the Harbeth overall. I really like the Harbeth mid range and balanced sound.

audiokid

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Yikes, is Cyrus really not up to SQ of Naim then?! Cyrus seems to pick up some good reviews. Will have to have a listen anyway.

Any Cyrus fans out there?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
audiokid said:
Yikes, is Cyrus really not up to SQ of Naim then?! Cyrus seems to pick up some good reviews. Will have to have a listen anyway.

SQ has such a big subjective element, that definitive judgements can't really be made. The main thing is to listen to a good variety of different brands and not get hooked on one or two....never take anyones' word as gospel.

audiokid

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
You're right... I just like the idea of Cyrus and Naim because they have a full range of components inc streaming, dacs, PSUs etc. Will have a listen.

A

Anonymous

audiokid said:

Whether SQ of Cyrus is up to the SQ of Naim is subjective. One man's meat is another man's poison thus it be better off for the tread starter to audit carefully. To me if he hasn't added in the hi-cap, he should try doing so since it is a known fact that adding PSU improve the overall performance of Naim.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Both brands have their own merits I'm sure, but imo there other makes out there

that are similar, if not better quality without the continuous need to add boxes for that endless search for HiFi navana.

However, if you're mind is set on this path, Naim would be the one I'd choose, even if only on build quality and reliability issues.

Cheers

Mac

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Someone needs to vote for Cyrus, so I guess thatll be me!

I personally have never really gelled with the naim sound, I have had two lengthy demos with a full naim system, plus heard various naim systems at Hifi shows. I can't quite put my finger on why I don't like the sound, but my reaction has varied from 'meh' to 'turn that noise off'.

Cyrus in the other hand I love. I currently own the 8xpd qx, and it really is a great little amp. My speakers are quite demanding (spendor sa1's), and while it doesn't drive them to their full capabilities, given its size, and qualities as a source when fed by sonos (no need for a cd player certainly) I think it does a great job. I still lust after a dac xp and mono x's but then that's the fun of the upgrade bug. I certainly don't need to upgrade.

The point is that you need to decide with your ears. Get a demo of the equivalent cyrus amp to your current amp or intended naim amp, and listen for as long as you can. They do have very different sounds, Cyrus being much more detailed and to my ears more balanced. YMMV

:)

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I'n not a big fan of either brand but would gravitate towards Naim personally. I would echo others advice here: stick to the devil you know, especially as the brands sound so different. If it ain't broke...

iceman16

+1 for Naim
smiley-smile.gif

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
gregvet said:
Someone needs to vote for Cyrus, so I guess thatll be me!

Whilst I like both brands for different reason (and my choice would depend on speakers), I'll add to your vote.

One thing I've never understood though. There are those that post on forums that seem to think Naim and Cyrus are trying to suck you into a one way street. I've only ever really looked at the positive - there is an uograde path for those that want to take it if they wish. I've never understood those that make out that if you buy Cyrus or Naim, you HAVE to upgrade. There are plenty of people out there who have bought Naits and entry level CD players, and likewise, 6 or 8 amplifiers and CD players and are more than happy with them. There are also plenty of users out there with a single product from these manufacturers, who have mixed them with other manufacturer's products.

These manufacturers offer products covering a wide range of price points so that people can choose their own level, and for those who want to further their system without having to scrap the lot.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
I've never understood those that make out that if you buy Cyrus or Naim, you HAVE to upgrade. There are plenty of people out there who have bought Naits and entry level CD players, and likewise, 6 or 8 amplifiers and CD players and are more than happy with them.

All true. However, there is the salesman looming over the customer demoing their entry-level system...

Customer "That's smashing. I didn't know my CDs could sound like that."

Salesman (after sucking air audibly through teeth) "Werrrl yes it is quite good, for what it is, but..."

Customer "What?"

Salesman "Most of our more discerning customers started off with the next one up the model range. I can get it in here in a jiffy. Another disgusting powdered coffee while I do that sir?"

Customer (not wanting to be thought less discerning) "Err yeah, sure, thanks."

More expensive item with capability to add seperate PSU is now connected and playing...

Salesman "Oh yes! This is far more like it. You can even hear the sweat falling off the drummer's forehead."

Customer "You can? I mean yes, I can. Mmm it's great. Sweat. Yeah."

Salesman "Of course if you had the custom PSU then it would enter a whole new realm of reality."

Customer "Huh? PSU? Drugs?"

Salesman "Haha Sir is quite the wit. I knew when you came in that you were more intelligent than most of the people we see. I'll get the PSU and we'll see what you think. Another filthy coffee sir?"

And so on...

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
And there also another version of that....

Salesman "I'm sure you'll thoroughly enjoy getting to know your entire collection again."

audiokid said:

I'm not a Cyrus fan at all...

Just had a brainwave: What I did like was the combo of Naim amp and Cyrus CDP. Although I've only heard the entry-level sets together, maybe worth to the combos higher end stuff.

The system I heard was: Naim Nait 5i, Cyrus CD6SE and ATC SCM11. It was pretty impressive.

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
And there also another version of that....

Salesman "I'm sure you'll thoroughly enjoy getting to know your entire collection again."

As long as a dealer doesn't try to pinch Curry Motors old slogan: "Nice people to do business with" or as we used to say in London: "Nice business to do people with"

I'm going to grab my coat...:wave:

iceman16

I do love Naim but I'm not a fanatic in every product(esp speakers). If I can improve the sound in my system using other brands(speakers,cables etc..)I would definitely do so. It's subjective and I've listened to Naim speakers(400 and 600) but they don't suit my taste.I'm quite happy with my system and it brought me the musical balance i'm after.:)

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
There are also plenty of users out there with a single product from these manufacturers, who have mixed them with other manufacturer's products.

Agreed. I have a combination of a Cyrus 6XP and Vincent CD-S6 tube cd player and love the sound. :)

dangalf

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
I have had a brief demo of both Cyrus and Naim kit. I thought the Cyrus kit was more direct, attacking and exciting to listen to whereas the Naim kit was more muscial and a more 'laid back' listen.
This gave me the impression that the Cyrus would be good for listening in short bursts but the Naim would be my choice for listening sessions lasting over an hour

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts