Cyrus Upgrades Review

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
“The best sounding CD player for the price” and “I am having troubles loading discs and when I do the player won’t read them” were contained in some of the reviews of the “Cyrus 8 SE”. So I was excited as well as apprehensive about sending my CD6s player to be upgraded. The idea of having a player returned to me with possible loading problems was not enticing at all. Nevertheless, having read some of the reviews within this forum and elsewhere I couldn’t resist the temptation of upgrading. Besides, I had especially bought a PSX-R to use with it earlier in the year when I upgraded my 6vs to 8vs2.

I received the upgraded player the first week of October and was extremely excited about using it and hearing the differences to my music. At first, I found the loading of discs a little bit odd. I thought I could just load the disc and once the player draws it in, it would load. But it didn’t! I soon realised that if I just slightly push it in, it will load perfectly.

I have now played up to sixty discs mostly manufactured in Japan, USA and a few UK titles and they have all loaded perfectly. I have also played a couple of CD-R titles and they too have loaded in without any errors. The only disc that I have and which didn’t play was a SACD. Interestingly enough, it was read but wouldn’t play any of the tracks! I think another member of the forum mentioned that he (or she) found that it was impossible to play SACD’s on it. Yet my previous CD6s did play it without any problems!

Regarding the sound. Well I was simply stunned. The player has put new life into the recordings I have. The stereo imaging is excellent and the bass is much more weighty. The player doesn’t sound too bright which I found with the CD6 player and all in all, I feel that it is up there along with the “Naim CD 5x” and “Roksan Kandy MK3” players which are also favourites of mine.

MikeF

Aug 26, 2007
Visit site
Interesting feedback - thanks for posting this. I am considering upgrading my CD 8 to SE and your comments have been very useful in that decision.

A

Anonymous

Hi MikeF,

No problems Mike. I'd recommend an upgrade to 8SE. As mentioned previously, I was apprehensive about doing this, but I've had no problems with the player. In fact, I have just noticed that if I am reloading a disc and using the remote control, then it loads with ease. When I tried reloading a disc via the remote control, initially it wouldn't reload! Maybe this has something to do with 'burning in' the player, maybe not. In any case, it's loading nicely and sounds fantastic.
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Cracking players and the upgrade path makes great sense for people wanting long term performance and the goal of upgrading without losing their shirt.

A

Anonymous

Moorgate:Cracking players and the upgrade path makes great sense for people wanting long term performance and the goal of upgrading without losing their shirt.

"Moorgate" I couldn't agree with you more. The player is one of my favourites and certainly worth upgrading for "long term performance".

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts