Cyrus turntable? There's a first

Gray

It is a surprise.
It was never going to be cheap though was it....£4,295 😱

With all the leaks that happen these days and the necessary development with a German firm (Thorens?) it's amazing that it appears from nowhere.

Last edited:
Looks as though that's the Rega arm from my P3, for £4k I would have expected something a bit more upmarket?
Yes, it looks suspiciously familiar. Cyrus say they designed it, but I suspect ‘customised’ is nearer the mark. Very few companies have the equipment to make a good tonearm.

When I saw German, I thought of Clearaudio, as used by Naim and Marantz amongst others. But Thorens qualifies, though I still imagine they’re Swiss, even after meeting their charming German CEO last weekend.

Reactions: Al ears

podknocker

Again, materials and tooling costs to make a turntable cannot justify this price tag.

It's the Cyrus premium again. It MUST be good, because it costs a fortune.

Can someone buy one and compare it to a £300 CD player and be honest?

Again, materials and tooling costs to make a turntable cannot justify this price tag.

not too sure why a £300 cd player, why would anyone that is looking for a turntable? perhaps a £1500 turntable instead... :cool:
If you are simply anti-vinyl perhaps this isn't a subforum you should consider commenting in.

Years ago Cyrus made their own speakers at an over inflated cost. They weren't very good as I heard a pair at a London show in 2007/8. They seemed to fade away into the Cyrus archive. I can see this turntable doing something similar - can't see it catch on.

To be fair, a lot of turntables use Rega components.

Nothing wrong with Rega, their tables are probably the most impressive out of all their range.
Not saying it’s a bad thing, it’s just up to the manufacturer if they want to go to the expense of designing and making it themselves, or have it made for them to offer a brand alternative. I think non turntable brand manufacturers don’t really sell many of their turntables (ones made by others), which is likely why many rely on an existing turntable manufacturer to make it for them. I doubt it’d be worth the cost designing and making it from the ground up for themselves.

Reactions: WayneKerr

matthewpianist

Years ago Cyrus made their own speakers at an over inflated cost. They weren't very good as I heard a pair at a London show in 2007/8. They seemed to fade away into the Cyrus archive. I can see this turntable doing something similar - can't see it catch on.

I still have a pair of the more recent Cyrus ONE Linear speakers boxed up in storage, from when I had the ONE HD amp. They're decent enough budget speakers but the packaging (which is excellent) and drive units shout IAG, and they were overpriced compared to similar Wharfedale badged product.

podknocker

I still have a pair of the more recent Cyrus ONE Linear speakers boxed up in storage, from when I had the ONE HD amp. They're decent enough budget speakers but the packaging (which is excellent) and drive units shout IAG, and they were overpriced compared to similar Wharfedale badged product.
I've seen the One Linear speakers discounted at £149 which is good value. They are nothing special though.

Rega P3/P6 hard to tell as all regas for decades look the same
with exposure printed on the plinth
or buy a project / technics / rega

View attachment 5355
It did sound very nice at the Ascot Show last weekend, with all Exposure electronics and ProAc speakers I think. It looks classier than a P6 somehow, but it may simply be the brace is finished the same as the plinth, and the swankier lettering.

On the face of it, it’s £150 more than a P6, but not obvious what is different. Maybe it comes with a cartridge at £1300? I was actually more interested in the new Exposure full-width CD player, but that wasn’t in the price list.

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts