Cyrus One with Project Phono Box MM and Dual Turntable

Dennis Michos

Jun 24, 2008
Visit site
Hello,
I am a happy owner of a Cyrus One amplifier. For 15 years now I listened to CDs but I would like to start using my Dual CS-503-1 turntable again which has not been used for 15 years. I plan to change the catridge and have it cleaned by a friend. I am wondering if I will find a big improvement by using a Project Phono Box MM which can be found around 50 GBP on Amazon or I use the Dual directly with my Cyrus One?

Many Thanks for your help
Dennis

iMark

I would spend the GBP 50 on some nice vinyl albums and plug the Dual directly into the Cyrus One. I heard the phono stage of the Cyrus One years ago at the house of a friend of friend and I thought it sounded great.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
There is nothing to be gained from spending money on a Project Phono Box if you've already got a Cyrus One (or Two). These amps came from an era when an amp lived or died by the quality of its phono stage because that was the main source, and so their phono stage is already outstanding, especially in the Two. Spend the same money on some records.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Another thought for you: put your £50 towards having your Cyrus electrically refurbished. Generally this involves replacing all the components that are no longer working to spec (typically electrolytic capacitors), sorting out any dry joints, maybe replacing the RCA sockets if they are worn and defective, and cleaning the selector switches. Upon return the amp is usually guaranteed to work as new or better. I haven't had it done to my own Cyrus amps so I can't recommend anyone from personal experience, but I googled "Cyrus One Service" and found this guy who offers various stages of service / upgrade and who on the face of it does seem to know what he's talking about:

http://www.amprepairservices.co.uk/cyrus-onetwo/4564767622

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts