Cyrus + Neat speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm currently shortlisting some new speakers, any opinions on Cyrus and Neat? I have a budget upto £3000, don't mind second hand, any other recommendations?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I think the combo could be a bit forward! Neats are very good though I have owned 4 pairs in the past and they all great.

A

Anonymous

Hi Thaiman,

Any recommendations then?

Shortlist so far:

PMC OB1's

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
PMC will need bi-amp to get the best out of them, very nice speakers.

What is your local dealers? (which area are you in?) The speakers I normally used are not the most poppular names in HIFI.

A

Anonymous

Hi Thaiman,

I'm in the Midlands, Worcestershire. For the right speakers, I'd be willing to travel anywhere in England to demo. I listen mainly to Jazz, smooth Jazz, Classical, Acoustic Guitar, Piano and on the odd ocassion some rock such as Yes, Rush, Purple, Floyd, Hendrix, Metallica.

I agree with what you say about the PMC's and bi-amping or even tri-amping with the OB1's but I think the 2 Cyrus Mono X amps will do quite nicely for starters.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="IanS1"]I'd be willing to travel anywhere in England to demo. [/quote]

Dedication :)

Music matters hif shop in west midland (sutton coldfield) has a good range of B&W and Spendor for demo. Around my way we have aanvil audio in suffolk which doing a superb offer on AUDIO PHYSIC range. They are stunningly good by the way - full with emotion.

IMO I think OB1 are great pair and I will try to hunt an ex-demo pair for you but for the cyrus (with all the respect) the FB1+ would do just fine and demo certainly needed for the combo.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the info, I know Music Matters in Solihull (near Birmingham) quite well, I'll give them a call to see what they've got in stock. Never heared of Audio Physic, I'll do some research into these.

I've already tried the FB1+ but found them to be a bit lacking in the mid range, they just didn't sound right. A guy on the cyrusynofficial forum was of the same opinion and he ended up getting the OB1's and said they sound superb, stating the weak mid range just doesn't exist with the OB1's. I guess I'll have to get a demo arranged.

Have you ever heared any ATC speakers? Similar sound to PMC?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="IanS1"]A guy on the cyrusynofficial forum was of the same opinion and he ended up
getting the OB1's and said they sound superb, stating the weak mid range just
doesn't exist with the OB1's[/quote]

Audio T in in Endfeild has an OB1 ex demo pair at reasonable price - 020 8367 3132 :)
Go for it as they will withstood any electronics upgrade in near future.

I forgot! Last year I heard a big stack of Cyrus (god know what they were!) with Kef reference 203-2 and thought they sounded very nice in the midrange and bass.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Thaiman"]

Audio T in in Endfeild has an OB1 ex demo pair at reasonable price - 020 8367 3132 :)
Go for it as they will withstood any electronics upgrade in near future.

I forgot! Last year I heard a big stack of Cyrus (god know what they were!) with Kef reference 203-2 and thought they sounded very nice in the midrange and bass.[/quote]

Cheers Thaiman, I'll look into it.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="jules153"]ProAc D28 ???[/quote]

Hi Jules,

I had a demo of the Studio 140's and thought they sounded a little too bright with my Cyrus kit. Are the D28's similar sounding to the 140's?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="IanS1"][quote user="jules153"]ProAc D28 ???[/quote]

Hi Jules,

I had a demo of the Studio 140's and thought they sounded a little too bright with my Cyrus kit. Are the D28's similar sounding to the 140's?[/quote]

Sorry not heard the D28's Ian but I mentioned them because WHF rate them as best in class or thereabouts. Perhaps Ketan (WHF) give you some further insights since he uses them in WHF tests I believe.

jules.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="IanS1"]I had a demo of the Studio 140's and thought they sounded a little too bright
with my Cyrus kit[/quote]

I mention that in the forum a while back and someone thought I had a hidden agenda!

Far to many people reading the mags and put that 5 stars amp with this 5 stars cd player which could work at budget to low midrange price point but when you gonna spend three grand on a pair of speakers a lot of home work needed sir.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Thaiman"]
Far to many people reading the mags and put that 5 stars amp with this 5 stars cd player which could work at budget to low midrange price point but when you gonna spend three grand on a pair of speakers a lot of home work needed sir.[/quote]

Yes, I agree, I'm not going to spend my £3K without being totally satisfied with my choice and that could take a lot of work, oh well I'm sure it will be fun.

Mike_Schmidt

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
Iam a cyrus owner myself from Canada, cd8x with psx preXvs with psx and two smartpowers running in mono with cardas cables. Iam waiting for my proac d28's coming from the studio 110's. My room however is small about 11.5 feet by 12 feel long with 9 foot ceilings. Any suggestions or insights being that this room might be too small I do listen to heavy rock to Tori amos and im not a volume junkie. Its a dedicated stereo room with french doors that open up behind me making the room some what larger. I just havent been able to find any reviews on these D28's, any help

A

Anonymous

hi there just wondering if you have herad the fb1 pmc with cyrus ?

Mike_Schmidt

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
Proac D28's arrived and one of the things i love about them is they sound good no matter what you play, where you place them and the better the electronics you feed em the better they sound. I dont find them to bright with my cyrus kit at all nor did i with the studio 110's or reference sigs. I think that is one of cyrus's pluses is there open forward sound. I tried the spendor 5se and I almost feel asleep, boring uninvolved sound IMO only.

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
I paired my Neats with cyrus gear and they were very good but a bit bright. I ended up changing the amplifier rather than the neats. I really liked them.

A

Anonymous

lowesy:
hi there just wondering if you have herad the fb1 pmc with cyrus ?

Heard the FB1+, didn't like them with my Cyrus kit, they didn't sound right in the mid range.

I've currently got a second hand pair of Dynaudio Contour 1.8 mkII. Although I like the sound of these I'm not totally satisfied that I'm getting the best from my kit but they'll see me through the next 12 months until I have time to find something else.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts