Cyrus + Dynaudio

Si O' the Times

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys,

Sorry to be a pain, but I need a bit more (quick) advice! I've been given two very good offers on used Dynaudio speakers, to partner my Cyrus CD6s & 8vs amp. My listening room is 13.5m sq. I will also be planning to add PSX-R & an X-Power to my Cyrus at some point.

Which should I go for: Excite X12 bookshelfs or Excite X32 floorstanders? I listen to all kinds of music at reasonable volumes.

Thanks again

Si

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Audition. Cyrus and Dynaudio, whilst decent sounding together, isn't necessarily the best match. The older 6 and 8 amplifiers were a little underpowered with the Dynaudio ranges, and whilst they were fine for normal levels, they could cut out at higher volumes. See if your amplifier will play as loud as you need it to and as long as you need it to with your speakers of choice before committing.

Si O' the Times

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
Hi David,

Thanks for your advice. It's difficult to audition when I don't have a dealer nearby & the used ones are 200 miles away :-(.

Would you however, recommend that the Excite X12's might be a better match for my amp's 75W x2 than the X32's ? Would this change if I bought an X-Power?

Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

Si

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Well there's not much difference in efficiency between the 12s and 32s, so not much to choose between them in that respect, but the 32s may be a little more demanding with regards to controlling the extra bass they will produce.

An X Power will drive either model fine, and to higher volumes. You should find they'll sound cleaner and punchier too due to the X Power's better dynamic capabilities. This will affect high and low level listening, not just high volumes.

One thing I will mention though, is that I found with that particular Excite range that I preferred the balance of the standmount models over the floorstanders. I couldn't put my finger on it, but it may have been due to the extra bass just upsets the balance I liked on the standmounts - either that or the floorstanders weren't as well designed as the standmounts.

Ivek

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Geman magazine Audio has tested Dynaudio Excite X36 floorstanders and X14 bookshelves. According to Audio X36 are easier to drive. I've auditioned Cyrus 6 cd, 8 amp and Dynaudio Excite X36 and I liked it. It seemed to me that Cyrus 8 drove the Dyns without problem.

Si O' the Times

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I just wanted to say thanks to those of you that recommended I should upgrade my speakers before I bought any more shiny silver Cyrus boxes.

I gave my newly acquired Dynaudio Excite XC12's a brief test last night and was very impressed. Listening to a bit of Johnny Cash ('Hurt' & 'When the man comes around') I was gobsmacked. The clarity of the vocals, the strum of the guitar and the sounstaging were a significant step above my MA BR5's.

I'm still saving for more shiny silver boxes though...

Si

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts