Cyrus DAC XP + Mono X

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Current system: CD8X + PSX-R 8VS + PSX-R 8 Power Monitor Audio S8i Chord Rumour cables I'm very happy with this system but you know what it's like when you get the upgrade urge. Originally I wanted to upgrade my speakers and I've listened to ProAc 140, PMC FB1+ and MA GS60 but I can't help thinking there was a slight lack of power in my system to drive any of these speakers to their full potential, so now I'm changing direction and looking at moving to a pre/power set up before I decide on my speaker upgrade. I've currently got a Pre VS2 + 8 Power on loan from my dealer. I'm running the 8 Powers in mono which I like the sound of but now I want more! so I'm also thinking of going straight to the top of the CYRUS range and adding the DAC XP + Mono X's to my system but I'm struggling to find a local dealer with these in stock so an home trial is out of the question at the moment. Anyone got any views about this pre/power set up? If I do decide to go for the DAC XP+ Mono X's and because I already own an 8 power, would it be a sensible idea as a future upgrade to use 2 x 8 power in mono to drive the higher frequencies or will the sound be unbalanced because of the difference in the power amps? Thanks Ian

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi I have not heard the Cyrus Pre VS2 + 8 Power you mentioned so I wouldn't like to comment. As speakers are concern I wouldn't put Proac with Cyrus (it's a known thing!) or at least have a long demo in your own house. PMC FB+ is a better pair if you wanna keep your singing shoe box but make sure you have a big enough room as they can produce a very very deep bass.

A

Anonymous

Hi Thaiman, Yes you're right the PMC's did sound better compared to the ProAcs but I felt there was something missing in the overall sound of the PMC's, I can't quite put my finger on what though but I think it could be lack of power from the amp, this is the reason I'm thinking of upgrading to the pre/power.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Yeb, the PMC need power to drive them correctly. At this price point you have a many quality pairs to consider! What kinna music you like?

A

Anonymous

Hi Thaiman, I listen to almost any music going apart from Drum & bass/ Rap music, but mainly I like Jazz, classical, piano, acoustic guitar type stuff.

From your comment of "singing shoebox" do I take it your not keen on Cyrus kit? Any suggestions welcome.

Ian

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
An open minded Cyrus owner! not many of you about. The comment "singing shoebox" is not new even What Hifi has use it in the past, I would call it a back handed complement. As i am not familiar with your electronics I can only tell you How would I build my system?...here we go. Firstly get a pair of speakers that suited to your room and have the Charactor you want ie bass heavy, smooth midrange etc...I have to point out that I would put 60 - 70% of your budget on speakers, shocking I know but I am being honest here. Then I would get an amp that CAN drive that pair of speakers properly, this is crucial as you can have the best speakers in the world but they still sound rubbish if your amp couldn't drive them to a full potential. Lastly, tune the sound to your liking with CD player, again from my experience, CDP under £1000 tend to sound quite similar, many £500 gears sharing the same transport and DAC, why should they sound that much different? Call me a snop if you may but it's the fact! Luckily you already got one at £1000 mark, your CD8x + PSU, from what I heard from my hifi friends, are very very good.

TRENDING THREADS