Cyrus DAC X, Pre XVS and X Power.....OR.....Pre XPd and X Power

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi there,

My current system is Cyrus DAC X, (streaming using Airport Express), Pre XVS and X Power all of which are on PSX-R's. Speakers are EB2's.

I think that the week link in this setup is probably the Pre XVS which I consider a little laid back for my liking so I was considring an upgrade.

Small problem.

No money.

With this in mind I was thinking about selling the DAC X, Pre XVS and one of the PSX-R's to fund an upgrade to a Pre XPd.

Anybody think this is a good idea?

Thanks.

jockey.wilson

Jan 27, 2009
Visit site
I have had a Pre XPd Qx in the past, and although a great pre-DAC combo, think it would be a sideways or backwards move if you were to sell the DAC X and your pre.

I would be looking at much better speakers I think; Spendor, Dynaudio, to name just a few.

How about cables? Try some from a dealer to see if a relatively small outlay can make a big difference.

Alternatively, ditch the AE, Pre XVS, DACX and go for a Cyrus Stream XP??? You could cut you box count down a bit ;)

The AE may be the weak link...

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The DACxp+ is the way to go. This is in a different league to any of their other pre-amplifiers. Very open with fantastic detail - we've been using it with the Mono X300's with the KEF Blades, and the system sounds gorgeous.

Gazzip said:
Hi there,

My current system is Cyrus DAC X, (streaming using Airport Express), Pre XVS and X Power all of which are on PSX-R's. Speakers are EB2's.

I think that the week link in this setup is probably the Pre XVS which I consider a little laid back for my liking so I was considring an upgrade.

Small problem.

No money.

With this in mind I was thinking about selling the DAC X, Pre XVS and one of the PSX-R's to fund an upgrade to a Pre XPd.

Anybody think this is a good idea?

Thanks.

Hi Gazzip

The weak link in your systen is the Pre Xvs. I'll highly recommend that you should hold on to your DAC X, X Power and EB2's and look at alternative and stronger pre amplification from other manufacturers. If you are happy to consider discontinued components then pre amplifiers such as the superb NAD C160 or Rotel's RC-995 are worth serious consideration. Although both of these pre amplifiers are full width designs however i feel this will be more then made up for by their ability to drive and energize the X Power to much greater levels of performance :) You can have greater levels of performance without having to change/replace numerous components and for a modest outlay.

Btw, just to be clear i don't deal with used components.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
The DACxp+ is the way to go. This is in a different league to any of their other pre-amplifiers. Very open with fantastic detail - we've been using it with the Mono X300's with the KEF Blades, and the system sounds gorgeous.

Thanks David. I picked up a DAXxp on eBay last night for £1K. It means I have to sell my DACx PRExvs and one of the PSX-r's before the missus discovers that the holiday fund has disappeared..... One further question. Is it worth the extra £457 to upgrade to the DACxp+ or is that a waste of cash?

Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts