CYRUS CDXt SE Scratching CDs Problem?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have just recieved back my upgraded CYRUS CDXt to SE transport. Its been on repeat play since Monday and it sounds fantastic - certainly worth the money for the upgrade sonic wise. However, the lower part of the entry slot has a very rough finish which obviously looks like a faulty paint job which I have reported to CYRUS who have asked me to send it back to them - fair enough. When inserting and taking out a CD it seems very hard not to scrape the underside of the CD surface on the bottom lip of the player. I have done this and scratched (hair line) many of my CDs like this. There does not appear to be any brushes or soft surface to the entry slot and I suspect this might be a problem even when the uneven / abrasive paint finish is rectified.

Has anyone else experienced this? Many thanks

A

Anonymous

I have no problems with my Cyrus XT SE loading slot being rough, but I do agree a soft edged slot would be better

A

Anonymous

the paint finish on mine is certainly not right. I believe that the delay in getting the unit upgraded was due to CYRUS rejecting the paint finish of the fascias and it seems that the next batch or certainly mine is not up to scratch - excuse the pun.

Could you check the underside of your CDs - load and eject a couple of times by physically removing the CD and then check the underside of your CDs to see if hairline marks appear? If this does happen everytiem then eventually the error correction circuit would be kicking in all the time on such CDs? Thanks again.

A

Anonymous

Could someone else possibly check out this as well please. From the pictures of SE players it looks like the slot loader entry port has a rounded smooth and flush finish. Mine has a noticable raised (probably half a milimeter) edge about 2mm into the entry slot on the bottom and top lip. Is this normal?

While I am taking my player back to the dealer tomorrow they do not have a SE CD player in stock for me to compare.

Thanks in advance.

matthewpiano

I can't tell you whether or not this is normal for the upgrade you've had done, but it is absolutely unacceptable to have this sort of issue on a machine of this price. What is the point in quality hi-fi gear if your CDs get scratched to the point of the error correction working overtime? The slot loading mech really put me off the Cyrus players when I recently upgraded my hi-fi and things like this only confirm my concerns.

A

Anonymous

I have a slot loader in my car which does not scratch the CDs in any way so I am hoping that this is a faulty issue and not a design one. The transport sounds so much better than the previous one which replaced my NAIM CDi player convincingly.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Sorry to hear you're having this issue - i'm looking at a CDXt SE right now, and there's no rough edges. Looks like you need to kick up a stink about yours!

Hi Fi Decision

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I tried to own a CD8se and gave up due to poor build quality and went for a Primare CD31 which has outstanding build quality and sounds better. For the price of a CDxt se and their Dac you can get a much better sound eg Meridian G08.2, Moon and dare I say it even my Primare CD31. I have 3 friends who own Cyrus and they have all had various niggles. One friend binned his 6 box Cyrus set up in favour of a Meridian G08 and a Chord Integrated CPM 2600....needless to say these 2 boxes produced a better sound than Cyrus's 6 and are also reliable.

A

Anonymous

RETSELDRIB:
However, the lower part of the entry slot has a very rough finish which obviously looks like a faulty paint job which I have reported to CYRUS who have asked me to send it back to them - fair enough. When inserting and taking out a CD it seems very hard not to scrape the underside of the CD surface on the bottom lip of the player. I have done this and scratched (hair line) many of my CDs like this. There does not appear to be any brushes or soft surface to the entry slot and I suspect this might be a problem even when the uneven / abrasive paint finish is rectified.

Has anyone else experienced this? Many thanks

Yes, I've noted the same poor finish of the slot-trim on the last of four CD8se units I tried to own before giving up. I've also noted that What Hi-Fi themselves have had an 8se review sample that had a deformity of the slot-trim which would very likely cause damage to the playing surface of discs. Unfortunately, What Hi-Fi failed to mention this fault in any reviews! I reported the problem to Cyrus ages ago but apparently they have done little to rectify matters.

I really don't like to say "I told you so" but do a search for this thread "Cyrus "SE" CD player troubles." and see page 7.

Regards

Lee

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:Sorry to hear you're having this issue - i'm looking at a CDXt SE right now, and there's no rough edges. Looks like you need to kick up a stink about yours!

thanks Clare. Can you confirm if your player has this slight raised edge on the bottom and top lip that I have described? Thanks.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Quenzer: I've also noted that What Hi-Fi themselves have had an 8se review sample that had a deformity of the slot-trim which would very likely cause damage to the playing surface of discs. Unfortunately, What Hi-Fi failed to mention this fault in any reviews! I reported the problem to Cyrus ages ago but apparently they have done little to rectify matters.

Lee, please don't resort to conjecture - we know you've got an axe to grind with Cyrus, but it's unfair to make sweeping generalisations.

Our 8se had no 'fault' - you spotted what you feel to be an irregular finish, but we've had no damage caused to discs whatsoever: and we've been regularly using it for months now.

The XtSE I have here has also got no 'lips' or rough edges - just a standard slot-loader that I've had no problems with (and which sound mighty fine).

Yes, there have been some teething issues with the SE range - that much is obvious - but a rational appeal to Cyrus seems to get them solved fairly.

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome: The XtSE I have here has also got no 'lips' or rough edges - just a standard slot-loader that I've had no problems with (and which sound mighty fine).

Yes, there have been some teething issues with the SE range - that much is obvious - but a rational appeal to Cyrus seems to get them solved fairly.

this is great news because mine has a very visible raised edge inside the top and bottom lip. Therefore my unit is clearly faulty in this respect. Superb sound quality as you say.

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:Lee, please don't resort to conjecture - we know you've got an axe to grind with Cyrus, but it's unfair to make sweeping generalisations.
The axe in my garage is now razor sharp and has Cyrus stamped all over it!
you spotted what you feel to be an irregular finish
The deformity of the slot-trim on your 8se review unit is easiy visible in any of the photographs of it in the magazine. It's there for all to see!
but we've had no damage caused to discs whatsoever:
OK, fair enough, it hasn't caused any problems in use.

The January 2009 issue has a review of a pair of Roksan Kandy K2's on page 8. The reviewer makes mention of the branding on the dust-cap at the centre of the bass/mid driver - calling it an eye-sore. I fully agree with that description, it cheapens the look of the product terribly. Likewise, what is quite obviously a deformed part on the front face of a product is a far worse eye-sore, and apparently it doesn't warrant being mentioned?
Yes, there have been some teething issues with the SE range - that much is obvious - but a rational appeal to Cyrus seems to get them solved fairly
But not timely.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
The branding on the Roksan speakers is obvious from across the room -
the irregularity of that specific Cyrus is only noticeable in close-up:
not once when testing did we feel it warranted mention, as it didn't
affect performance and no-one considered it an issue.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Why are blemishes and faults etc. forgiven time after time with this brand? It seems everyone is bending over backwards to help rehabilitate the Cyrus SE models and defend the manufacturer come what may. I have never seen this occur with any other brand.

To an outsider it does look odd.

(I have no axe to grind, I don't own Cyrus equipment and never have. I don't even recall ever having heard any. So I am neutral in this respect.)

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
It's not the brand, it's the SE models and the performance they're capable of for the money (and let's face it, that praise has been pretty much universal - it's not just us that thinks it!)

I'm not defending Cyrus - as you'll see earlier in this thread, I suggested the unhappy OP complained straight away, as such defects shouldn't be accepted - but neither am I going to write off an entire range of exceptional products because of a few teething troubles.

A

Anonymous

Excellent.

And could you also answer my question in the DAC Magic thread - so does an 8SE compare to your DACX with Airport?

Thank you.

Regards,

Edward

A

Anonymous

Thanks, Clare.

It's really adding value to the few pounds I spend here and there on the mag!!

The thread is "Goodbye DAC Magic" - http://whathifi.com/forums/t/167341.aspx

A

Anonymous

Hi Clare

I have just written a letter to Cyrus mentioning your name and comments with specific respect to my transport issue. Would you like me to forward you a copy? There does not appear to a PM function on this forum. Do you have access to my email? I will send you a copy of the letter if you would like?

Regards

Lester

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:The branding on the Roksan speakers is obvious from across the room -
the irregularity of that specific Cyrus is only noticeable in close-up:
That's rather like saying that because you can't directly see atoms, then they don't exist!
Regardless of the distance that the deformity can be noticed from, the part IS malformed - it would drive me mad! The cost of this part would be but a few pounds on a product that costs over a thousand pounds.
not once when testing did we feel it warranted mention, as it didn't
affect performance and no-one considered it an issue.
You made mention in another thread that you can only report problems that you find with your review samples?
I take it that if yourself or any other member of the What Hi-Fi team had personally bought the product in question with their own cash, you/they would have been happy to keep it? It surprises me that you/they would have such low standards.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts