Cyrus CD8SE Problems - Quandry?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Thanks for reply I understand they can be quirky but when it refuses to play it does not sound good at all. Audio T have changed every unit for me and they have been factory sealed but i am loosing patience after all this time. As I say at this price it should play my Arcam Cd72 played with no problem. My dealer says Cyrus have bought a cheap transport and the new one I have looks naff with the opening. Problem is if I trade in player and psxr I have a Cyrus rack as well if the units were standard size no probs with Naim unit.
Regards
Paul

A

Anonymous

Graham_Thomas:Er, I use on a daily basis and would recommend this to anyone -
How nice it must be to have a working unit.
Can you imagine the utter inconvenience caused by the supply of FIVE faulty units?

teething problems notwithstanding -
Teething problems? The problems continue, and definitely can not be considered to be teething problems any longer. The SE units have been around for two years or so?

spikey123

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I wish I had read this forum before I was lulled into buying a CyrusCD8SE when my old Arcam 9 got a bit twitchy. I read all the reviews prasing its virtues...why don't any of the mags tell us about the loading/playing issues. Yes, yes the sound is good, but when the units skip and jump and groan, they are worse than a scratched vinyl album..at least the vinyl will still play. I got a brand new Cyrus 8 cdse player and after 1 week it skipped and jumped better than Marys little lamb. It went back to Cyrus who admittedly got me a factory sealed new one. Now that one after only a few days doesnt like John Lennons Imagine. I mean who doesnt like that? It skips back and forth clicking and spluttering before the playback goes slow and distorted. To be fair I tried Paul McCartneys first album, same thing happened and I dont even like Paul McCartney.

I dont care about idiosynchroses ( spelling), this is a cd player not a blooming Maserati. These units must have gone out into the market place without being able to play all cds, even a £20 one from Asda can do that. Judging from the other threads this cd player has been around for a few years now, but my 2011 version, latest software etc, etc, still seems to do the same as the old versions.

If it wasn't so expensive I would have thrown it in the bin and put it down to experience. Well, I have learned now, havent I

A

Anonymous

Get another unit my friend. Or just ask for a refund, buy an Audiolab instead and buy a few beers with the change!
smiley-cool.gif

jerry klinger

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
'Get another unit' is clearly not the right answer. 'Get a new software team' might be appropriately directed at Cyrus. The 'my friend' of course is just patronising and unnecessary.

I've just had a CD8SE+ on loan for a couple of days and have enjoyed listening to it. It's worked 95% of the time. It's ejected about 3 out of 30 CDs and had an interesting but not insuperable time with a few more. It's certainly good enough to slot into a top-class system with some pretty pricey interconnects. But, to be honest, it's just too much of a PITA - life is, simply, too brevis for this player. Especially as streaming is on the horizon.

One has to applaud Cyrus's commitment and investment in the SE project. But allow me to let you into a little secret - I've been buying hifi for 40 years and I'm not about to spend 4 figures on a CD player that regularly doesn't play CDs.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts