Cyrus CD8se and the process of selecting it....

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I recently went through a process of auditioning Rega Apollo, Naim CD5i (non-italic), Roksan K2 CD player, Cyrus CD6se and then Cyrus CD8se recently through a Roksan K2 amp & MA RS6's (see my full set-up in my sig).

I auditioned a large range of music from Radiohead (In Rainbows), Bat For Lashes, Alela Diane, Pulp, Kings of Leon, UNKLE, Elbow, Vampire Weekend & a few more!

It was a very interesting & difficult process and one that I am very glad I did. I had been using the Naim CD5i (non-italic) for 6 months-ish and I enjoyed it but felt it wasn't giving me everything I wanted from the music, their was drive & rhythm with excellent timing but not huge amounts of depth to the music.
So tried a Rega Apollo and this gave an extra depth to instruments making them more 3d but still didn't have the attack i wanted.

Went to Sevenoaks to audition the K2 CD & CD6se through a K2 amp and MA GS20's.

Spent an hour listening to the CD6se's and revealed huge amounts of detail and more of the music but whilst I enjoyed hearing the new details I wasn't enjoying the music and was finding the treble hard (speaker related probably).

Moved onto the K2 CD player and felt it was a slight step back from the Cyrus, still a move on (for me) from the Naim & Rega but still not getting the satisfaction from the music I wanted. Not quite enough slam, emotion, attack & timing that I felt was still there in the music.

I mentioned this to the helpful sales guy and he suggested to try the CD8se.

From the first minute of Radiohead's Weird Fishes/Arpeggi and that was enough for me. It ticked all of the boxes of what I wanted & a whole lot more! It had the perfect balance for me of the revealing nature of the CD6se but making the music enjoyable and the musical nature of the Naim & Rega whilst adding its own dose of slam, attack and a sweet sweet treble!

I listened to a few more tracks to confirm this and knew that I had some saving to do!

As fate would have it, after a bit of internet trawling I found a CD8se for less than a new CD6se and I have not stopped listening to it yet!!

Just thought I'd share my experience with everyone as I found the process surprisingly difficult but in the end very worth it.

Thanks,
Adam

A

Anonymous

Be careful with Cyrus, you start by buying one box and end up with 6!

Add a PSXR power supply for more smoothness.

Add a matching amplifier - 8vs2's are a bargain at the moment due to Cyrus's birthday trade-in offer.

Try Cyrus unofficial forum for more advice

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your reply, I do indeed to add a PSXR but not for quite awhile, want to fully appreciate any differences when I do.

I'm very happy with the K2 amp to be honest and this is my last component change for a long time, I only plan to get a new interconnect to replace the VDH 'The Name' between the amp & cd player.

Thanks
Adam

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Really good write up that.

My other half has the 8SE CDP with her 8vs2 and XPower and the B&W CM7 speakers and it's a superb player; I've demo'd it with my system as well but I felt that the Rega Apollo gave me more of what I wanted but have to agree, the 8SE is very open and dynamic.

My only suggestion to your above set-up would be to try the Chord Carnival Silverscreen bi-wire instead of your QED cable. Having owned both and the same speakers I can say that the Chord really offers you a fuller soundstage over the QED cable and can knock down the bright top end when it occurs

A

Anonymous

If the budget allows forget the Silverscreen and go straight for the Chord Odyssey 2. Great cable.

A

Anonymous

I use Nordost interconnects and they do get rid of the some the shrillness at the top end.

A

Anonymous

Thank you for suggestions guys.

Its very satisfying knowing that I have the components I want & that I am very happy with but making decisions on cabling is going to be even trickier as the refinements are more subtle, all part of the fun though!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts