Cyrus cd 8se

jimm

Dec 3, 2007
Visit site
I just bought one for a good price, it replaces my old arcam cd73 which has served me well. It will work well with my cyrus 6xp, quite pleased as i think £350 was a good price. I will post my findings after i have a had a good listen. According to the seller the player has no disc loading issues..

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Interested in hearing how it goes.... I replaced a CD72 a few months ago with a Cyrus CD6, which goes with my 5 amp, and I have to say I'm very pleased.... Long term, I'll probably end up going down the transport and dac-pre route, but another CD player upgrade may happen first!!!

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Yep, Cyrus do seem to have a bit of a bum rap around here..... I wanted something by them the minute I saw some of their kit in a What Hifi issue when I was at school!!!! For me it has to be silver.

I was so relieved when I was finally in a position to buy kit and the combination of the 5 and the CD72 from Arcam sounded so good!!!! I also quite fancied Roksan, but it didn't sound as good.... to me anyway.

I've warned my wife that if money was no object I'd have Cyrus boxes piled up... And a Gyrodec....

jimm

Dec 3, 2007
Visit site
Hi Chris, I know cyrus is not to everyones taste but for me i enjoy the cyrus sound, the last cyrus cdp i owned was a dad3Q that was a brilliant sounding player that worked well with my old musical fidelity xa1 amplifier, the cd8se is different beast and i'm sure it will partner my amp and speakers well.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Cyrus gets a bum rap on here because their gear can sound very clinicial, regular posters - I think - like warmer sounding stuff - and bass can therefore sound a little weak. Partnered with the right speakers, however, and that clinical sound morphs into great hifi.

Before I moved back to the US in 2011 I progressed up the Cyrus ladder to a CD-XTSE, a DAC-X a Pre-X pre-amp and two X-power power amps (if I've got all the numbers and letters in the wrong order forgive me). I had a shedload of PSX-R power supplies too. Eight boxes in all, I think. The X-powers were used in twin mono mode to drive ProAc Studio 140 floorstanders sitting on a wood over concrete floor in the 15 x 12 living room of a ground floor flat. The ProAcs delivered the bass that seemed, repeat seemed, lacking and balanced out the clinical nature of the presentation. The neighbours, erm, "loved it", apparently *biggrin*

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I think some people dislike Cyrus gear because listening to amps which are tonally flat (or near) can be a bit of a culture shock. Same goes for many people hearing studio monitors for the first time: most common complaint is where's the bass?

On top of that there are speakers which are just plain totally forward (like my old Mission 794s) either deliberately by design, or because of poor design. They can sound very impressive in a demo compared to more laid-back competitors because the forwardness often initially is perceived as an open expressive midrange with a soundstage the size of a football field. But try listening to anything remotely shrill for longer than five minutes (trumpets, solo violins, female opera singers, electric lead solos, any song by Jon Andersson) and you feel your head's being bored into by a hammer-drill. Mate them with anything but a warm-sounding amp with an upper-bass bloom and what you basically end up with is a sonic weapon that can turn people's brains to mush.

jimm

Dec 3, 2007
Visit site
My spendor speakers seem to work well with my Cyrus amp so i'm confident the 8se cdp will fit nicely into my system. System matching is part of the fun, one of the best souding system's i owned comprised of a cyrus 8v amp-Musical fidelity x-ray and B&w cm2's, a lovely balance of detail and warmth, miss that set up.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts