cyrus cd 8 fault

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have the above cd player and this weekend i attempted to play a disc and nothing,heres what happened.

I put in a cd lens cleaning disc in and all was ok.

When i put in a disc display comes up with reading for about 10 seconds then display reads NO DISC.

It does this every time,i have unplugged overnight and still nothing !

Anyone know what it could be?

A

Anonymous

chefsmusic:
I have the above cd player and this weekend i attempted to play a disc and nothing,heres what happened.

I put in a cd lens cleaning disc in and all was ok.

When i put in a disc display comes up with reading for about 10 seconds then display reads NO DISC.

It does this every time,i have unplugged overnight and still nothing !

Anyone know what it could be?

It could be condensation inside, but i have also seen this if the unit has been powered off and not in standby for some time. I would leave it ON for a few hours, maybe 4 or 5 and then try a disc again.When i say ON i don't mean standby. Hope this helps.

A

Anonymous

It's not unknown for lens cleaning discs to scratch the glass on the lens, particularly if they're cheap. Fingers crossed that's not happened in your case...

A

Anonymous

Ring Cyrus and ask for their advice.

They might even quote you for a repair!

A

Anonymous

chefsmusic:sarcasm?

Not sure, but they will quote you £180 anyway. Might aswell check it fully first.

A

Anonymous

I had infact sent an email already and they ahd quoted me £200 plus shipping.

I cant really afford that to be honest which is frustrating,i love the cyrus so what to do now.

I have looked on ebay for alternative cd players but for now i will to play my cds in my Sony Blu Ray,sound quality is good but not as good.

plus i just cant bear to download music,it's just not right.

A

Anonymous

If you dont wish to have it repaired and spend the money to fix it, sell it on ebay but state that it is malfunctioning

£130 may get you a marantz CD63 MKii K1 signature cd player off ebay in good condition (which you may find to be better) ...

or if you want cheaper, look at the older rotel cd players ... some go for less than £50 in good condition ... the older Pioneers (PD series) go for cheap and are also very good

A

Anonymous

Cheers.

thanks for the advice

Will look into it,just seen a multiplay 6 disc pioneer on ebay.

A

Anonymous

chefsmusic:
Cheers.

thanks for the advice

Will look into it,just seen a multiplay 6 disc pioneer on ebay.

Have you tried leaving it ON for a day maybe?

A

Anonymous

I have left on for a while but not a day,not sure it will work but worth a go.

A

Anonymous

chefsmusic:I have left on for a while but not a day,not sure it will work but worth a go.

Yeah it's worth a go. Not gonna cost you much, other than a little bit of electricity.

A

Anonymous

Ok just got home from work so gonna start test now!

Will let you know how i got on.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
If you bought your CD 8 new + it was less than 6 years ago, then the retailer is still responsible for any repairs, parts & labour, aside from damage. (Obviously, you'll need the receipt/proof of purchase.)

The '6 year rule' is part of the Sale of Goods Act's "fit for purpose" caveat.

A

Anonymous

6th.replicant:If you bought your CD 8 new + it was less than 6 years ago, then the retailer is still responsible for any repairs, parts & labour, aside from damage. (Obviously, you'll need the receipt/proof of purchase.)

Given that it was used for a purpose other than playing standard CDs (i.e. putting in a disc with little brushes all over it), I think the retailer will tell you to jump if you presented him with that.

Also for general information, the 6 year rule is the statute of limitation, not the period for which the goods much last. The determinant is a reasonableness test (i.e. should the product reasonably have lasted a length of time). Also, after 6 months, the onus is on the consumer to prove that the goods were not sold fit for purpose - i.e. that they were inherently faulty at the time of purchase.

More info here: http://www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/consumers/fact-sheets/page38311.html

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
ffiish:
6th.replicant:If you bought your CD 8 new + it was less than 6 years ago, then the retailer is still responsible for any repairs, parts & labour, aside from damage. (Obviously, you'll need the receipt/proof of purchase.)

Given that it was used for a purpose other than playing standard CDs (i.e. putting in a disc with little brushes all over it), I think the retailer will tell you to jump if you presented him with that.

Also for general information, the 6 year rule is the statute of limitation, not the period for which the goods much last. The determinant is a reasonableness test (i.e. should the product reasonably have lasted a length of time). Also, after 6 months, the onus is on the consumer to prove that the goods were not sold fit for purpose - i.e. that they were inherently faulty at the time of purchase.

More info here: http://www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/consumers/fact-sheets/page38311.html

Hmm, don't happen to be a retailer do you?

BTW, does the Cyrus CD 8's instruction manual include a disclaimer/warning advising against the use of CD lens-cleaning discs?

A

Anonymous

Good evening all.

Well i have given up now anyway,besides i have had longer than 6 months.

I have decided to sell on ebay as faulty to try and recoup some money back,heres to a good price !

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
chefsmusic:
Good evening all.

Well i have given up now anyway,besides i have had longer than 6 months.

I have decided to sell on ebay as faulty to try and recoup some money back,heres to a good price !

OK, the hour is late, so I might be getting this wrong, however...

Are you saying that your CD 8 is over 6 years old or just past 6 months old?

If the latter, then it's still covered by the manufacturer's guarantee.

Yet, if the guarantee has expired but it's less than 6 years old, then the retailer is obliged to fix it FOC under the 'less than 6 years old rule'.

However, if Cyrus's instruction manual includes a specific disclaimer/warning advising against the use of CD lens-cleaning discs, then perhaps any claim will be less cut & dry. But hell, it's not as if you tried to clean the lens with wire-wool & turps.

And there're plenty of recent precedents re Cyrus's somewhat inconsistent reliability/build-quality.

In short, the CD 8 is a CD player - & yours has malfunctioned & no longer plays CDs. Therefore, surely your CD 8 is "not fit for purpose"?

A

Anonymous

first of all i thank you for all the info and indeed you are right.

As of now it is listed on ebay and it has now got 14 watchers,so hoping to get a good price for it.

Maybe i should buy and sell hi fi on line!

Seems a good option and i will get to hear some good quality hi fi.

Cyrus quoted me £200 for repairs,so a viscious circle until i win the loot !

A

Anonymous

6th.replicant:

No I'm not. I was trying to give some helpful general guidance, including a verifiable reference to a government source, about consumer rights, which had been misrepresented (viz. the length of time the goods have to last for). By way of comparison, no-one would be able to demand FOC repairs to an out-of-warranty car, except in very limited circumstances, even though the warranty lasts only 3 years, not 6. The key thing about "fit for purpose" is that it is a test applied at the time of purchase - hence you wouldn't have a successful complaint if a cucumber went mouldy a month after buying it, or a light bulb blew after a year.

This case is very bad luck, and I have every sympathy; I certainly wouldn't want my kit to break down when I was trying to do what would seem to be routine maintenance, and I would certainly be pursuing all reasonable options to get it sorted out.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
ffiish:
6th.replicant:

No I'm not. I was trying to give some helpful general guidance, including a verifiable reference to a government source, about consumer rights, which had been misrepresented (viz. the length of time the goods have to last for). By way of comparison, no-one would be able to demand FOC repairs to an out-of-warranty car, except in very limited circumstances, even though the warranty lasts only 3 years, not 6. The key thing about "fit for purpose" is that it is a test applied at the time of purchase - hence you wouldn't have a successful complaint if a cucumber went mouldy a month after buying it, or a light bulb blew after a year.

This case is very bad luck, and I have every sympathy; I certainly wouldn't want my kit to break down when I was trying to do what would seem to be routine maintenance, and I would certainly be pursuing all reasonable options to get it sorted out.

Interesting & useful comments, ffiish.

As a case in point, my Pana plasma TV recently developed a fault - a thin, vertical green line down the centre of the screen - a mere 2.5 yrs after purchase.

I contacted tradingstandards.gov.uk/08454 04 05 06 & was advised that I'm covered by the '6 year rule', thus the retailer is liable for parts & labour because the TV's 'demise' within 2.5 yrs renders it "not fit for purpose".

Er, well I hope that's true..?!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts