Cyrus 8 dac Vs Cyrus 8 Mk2 Dac

mushroomgod

May 25, 2009
Visit site
I currently own a Cyrus 8 dac with a faulty PSU. I suspect my youngest (2 years old) turned the thing on/off so many times he damaged it.

I have two options open to me..

Send it in for a full repair and service - this will get the item fixed, and I think they give it a new two year garantee. The cost for this is £300 (its a fixed cost).

Or...

I have the option to upgrade to a Cyrus 8 Mk2 Dac, which is their current equivilent model. The cost for this is £500.

So, my question is does anyone think the additional £200 is worth the upgrade. Without question Ill be spending £300 to fix it. Im just not sure if I want to splash out more.

Any thoughts?

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

mushroomgod said:
I currently own a Cyrus 8 dac with a faulty PSU. I suspect my youngest (2 years old) turned the thing on/off so many times he damaged it.

I have two options open to me..

Send it in for a full repair and service - this will get the item fixed, and I think they give it a new two year garantee. The cost for this is £300 (its a fixed cost).

Or...

I have the option to upgrade to a Cyrus 8 Mk2 Dac, which is their current equivilent model. The cost for this is £500.

So, my question is does anyone think the additional £200 is worth the upgrade. Without question Ill be spending £300 to fix it. Im just not sure if I want to splash out more.

Any thoughts?

ive had lots of cyrus stuff (see my sign off with kit list) and I think the upgrade is unlikely to get you much in extra sonic qualities. What speakers are you using? Cyrus did a few changes in 2015 to these new Mark 2 models which I think were relatively minor. I had the pre qx dac I bought in 2014 but people were saying on forums - cyrus unofficial - the pre 2 dac qx was little better.

An upgrade that would bring better sonic qualities than going to version 2 would be adding the qx card if your amp doesn’t have one, or possibly changing to a different set up if you have a budget and want to do that? That said you could equally get benefits adding an after market dac. I know the chord dacs work really well with Cyrus.

Another way is to add x powers and bi amp the 8dac with your speakers. X powers can be bought quite cheap used and as little as £400 if you try hard and this will equally give an added kick of amplification to your speakers, which could be an alternate to changing the dac to improve resolution. That really depends on speakers too and how detailed they are, if you would like more detail etc.

Bear in mind you can negotiate better prices than the upgrade price list on cyrus’ website, by contacting dealers. Jon at ripcaster has offered me very good discounts in the past. So with that in mind it may be a good thing just to upgrade to version 2.

i do know that when you get them to do the service, they can’t charge more than the service price even if parts require it. Which is a good thing so far as you know what you are paying with no surprises, but then you do get the guarantee as you say, even though it might be galling the part is cheap to replace. That said if you think it’s a switch gone, you could take it to someone else much cheaper, to see what is causing it, but then you won’t get added warranty. So swings and roundabouts.

mushroomgod

May 25, 2009
Visit site
cheers for the help!

I have a pair of Tannoy Revolution (they are about 4 years old, not sure of the exact model No). They are pretty good.

I think (based on what youve said) Ill stick with the PSU fix. Im open to the idea of getting a 3rd party to look at it, just a case of finding one.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

If you go on the cyrus unofficial forum someone on there will know a repairer. You might be able to get someone to do a no obligation check if no parts changed. If it’s out of warranty it’s probably cheapest option to do it outside cyrus.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts