Cyrus 8 2 DAC with power amp or Cyrus pre dac with one power amp?

Narco

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
HiHi[/list]Hi
I know it's ultimately subjective but which option above would offer most value? An 8 2 DAC with power amp, say an 8 Power or Smart or Q or Pre DAC with X Power? Bi amping vs separate quality components?

Price wise there's little difference for me at the minute. Would appreciate some guidance.

Narco

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
Ah, sorry.

Not too good at this and thought as was a different question would be different post ideally.

You know I was talking about Cyrus...but point taken. :D

Any opinion on original question?

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

The pre dac and x power would be better value as it would give a more defined and proper dynamic hi fi sound. I've used a Cyrus intergrated 6 dac with a Cyrus x power amp and it wasn't so good. I think this is due to the fact you need the smallest power supply possible in the pre and if using the intergrated as the pre or in a bi amped set up, it's never ideal, as it has a huge power supply and this no doubt takes out the benefit of a traditional pre and power set up.

adamrobertshaw

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I have never regretted upgrading my Cyrus kit from integrated to pre and power. Thereafter moving from single power to mono bi amp added better separation and soundstage. You don't need to go down the route of the expensive Cyrus mono signature. Just stick to X power plus PSX-R.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

I did the same from Cyrus intergrateds to pre and power and adding psx-r's and I had twin x powers, but the mono x200/x300/x200sig/x300sig variants are quite a bit better than x powers and I was running almost the same or similar speakers to you at the time - 20 23. So I'd recommend doing it in an all cyrus system. But x powers still bloody good but not quite as dynamic, detailed etc, as the mono x200/300 variants. But that said I've heard some cheaper amps which sound decent on my dac xp sig - some Michell alectos. They weren't quite as fluid as my mono x200 sigs though. The Cyrus mono x variant power amps are expensive for what they are, but I got mine new and cheaper than normal so I couldn't resist.

Whats your view of the psx-r2 on the dac xp sig instead of psx-r. Mine is the psx-r but am upgrading it soon if it's worth it.

adamrobertshaw

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
The version 2 was noticeably crisper and gave more weight but it did replace the oldest of my PSX-R. If and when my PSX-R start to sound a bit tired I'll send them to Cyrus for the upgrade to version 2.

I've seen plenty of ex demo 300 signature but there's nothing compelling into putting several £k into them through PX for my X power and PSX-R, or just upgrading my X power to 300 signature through Cyrus. I'd prefer to upgrade my PSX-R to version 2 and put the cash saved into upgrading a source or upgrading the Qute HD.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

I never thought to upgrade beyond mono x200 sigs ie to x300 sig, with my set up, but pmc's love amps and keep getting better with better amps I've found. So a used set of say x200 or x200 sigs around say £1700 would be much more worthwhile than say a psx r upgrade at £350. The return on the psx r2 is minimal I have heard from people so even though mono amps more expensive they are better value on improving sq per pound if bought used. Maybe not if new.

If you are near me, you are welcome to check out my x200s. I'm in Sussex.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts