Cyrus 6xp amplifier - running in time?

bunnahabhain

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm new to the forum having just bought the Cyrus 6 xp amplifier to replace my Cambridge Audio Azur 540A, primarily to save on valuable space. However I'm really disappointed with the sound, which is the same irrespective of source, and am hoping that it will improve on running in - this is day 2. Does anyone know how long a running in time I should give the amp to improve? I'm not really convinced that it will change that much but am resigned to giving it a chance to shine.

I appreciate the whole concept of sound preference is personal and I'm not too hot on the descriptive jargon in the magazine reviews and forum, but I would seem to be experiencing the same type of sound as some other threads describe the Cyrus 6 xp - thin, light and bright. Compared with the Cambridge and to be honest an old Denon D-110 mini system which it in turn replaced, bass from the Cyrus is really poor with the volume having to be turned up to levels around -30dB to hear anything appreciable. This level is too loud for comfortable / everyday listening, also treble then becomes too forthright and vocals sound almost distorted. At more comfortable volumes around -50 to -45dB the sound is simply tinny - not much better than the TV's inbuilt speakers to be honest. Speakers are old Monitor Audio 3, again these have been fine over the years.

This is my first ever venture into the pure world of no bass and treble controls, and certainly not a good first impression sonically from such a respected brand as Cyrus and an amp which not long ago cost the best part of £1k and won product of the year. Pity as it looks just the part! - please someone tell me it will get better next week!

Sorry to read of your disappointment, and I can't say specifically about the Cyrus 6, but a couple of thoughts:-

1. Leave it on 24 hours a day for the first week. It should mellow in a few days if it is going to.

2. Is there any chance the speakers are out of phase? If the black and red (or however labelled) speaker wires to one speaker are reversed the bass mostly cancels out, because one speaker is blowing when the other is sucking.

Aside from that, the question of other kit, as already asked above, may be relevant. The Cyrus is not the sort of amp to gloss over flaws elsewhere.

Welcome and I hope you resolve the concern.

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
The cyrus is a 40watt per channel amp.

Seriously what were you expecting from it?

Not sure that's terribly helpful?

What's your point - volume, sound quality, or something else?

Pretty sure many people on here have listened to 40wpc amps powering the right speakers and neither volume nor sound quality would be an issue. And I'll include 40wpc Cyrus amps in that.

Back to the OP - nopiano's advice is good. First of all, check your wiring.

As much a pain as it might become, you may need to look at your source and speakers. The Cyrus is definitely a very decent amp, but probably just needs careful partnering (which may not be what you want to hear exactly!).

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Don't be like that....

My point is WHEN he bought the amp did he know the spec.

Its not an amp thats going to shake the walls or cause stuff to vibrate. "as good" as the amp is it will only do so much. An out of phase speaker does not really cause a lack of volume it causes a super wide sound stage in my experience. not As he discribeds, sounds much like the problems I had with the rotel 1520 and Audiolab 8200a.

He sounds like he's use to is 'old' set up the 'new' amp is not all it cracked up to be 'even if it sounds so much better than last years model'

LEAVE IT ON FOR TWO WEEKS, THEN TRY IT AGAIN.......

A

Anonymous

I'm afraid to say that in my honest opinion the idea that electonics 'burn in' to a degree that affects the sound is false and your amp will sound the same now as it does in three weeks. What will change is how you hear it, humans like what they are used to (not just true with hifi) so when you get used to the sound you will like it more - most people attribute this to burn in but really it's a fallacy.

Can you be a bit more accurate about your speakers, are they the old Bronze 3's? in which case they have a sensitivity of 90db which means that they only need half the power of speakers that are 87db to achieve they same volume, ergo they should be ok (and also demonstrate why power figures are meaningless out of context).

manicm

I'm sorry to say but I don't find any responses here either helpful, knowledgeable or intelligent. To the OP - Cyrus amps have been known for great imaging and transparency, and perhaps as a result of that not initially as perhaps 'full' sounding as other amps.

You describe the sound as 'thin, lean and bright'. One idea is that it may be so. Another idea is that you may be still getting used to such transparency. My guess is that the brightness will dissipate over time as your ears attune to the Cyrus.

Another idea is that your speakers may be aggravating the leanness of the sound. My advice is to take your amp to some shops and audition some other speakers. From what I've gleaned is that your speakers themselves may be a bit lean sounding. Don't ditch the amp yet.

shado

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
My Cyrus 8xpd took over a week before it sounded like the model at local sevenoakes and my 6 power amp took longer 10 days before I was satisfied that biamping my system was beneficial. Believe me you will know when it suddenly engages and draws your attention!

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
manicm said:
I'm sorry to say but I don't find any responses here either helpful, knowledgeable or intelligent. To the OP - Cyrus amps have been known for great imaging and transparency, and perhaps as a result of that not initially as perhaps 'full' sounding as other amps.

You describe the sound as 'thin, lean and bright'. One idea is that it may be so. Another idea is that you may be still getting used to such transparency. My guess is that the brightness will dissipate over time as your ears attune to the Cyrus.

Another idea is that your speakers may be aggravating the leanness of the sound. My advice is to take your amp to some shops and audition some other speakers. From what I've gleaned is that your speakers themselves may be a bit lean sounding. Don't ditch the amp yet.

did you really just say that.......lol.

Then suggest going out and spending more money, I swear some of you guys.

Anyway, author of this thread, leave it on for a couple of weeks, maybe connect it up, turn your speakers off and turn it up so it gets hot -just leave it on for a couple of weeks has suggested and come back and update us, pls.

currently on day4 doing the same thing with a Rotel 1520...... I SHALL UPDATE.

A

Anonymous

When I bought my Cyrus set up, I had the same initial response..... felt like a waste of money.

It took a few weeks for either a) it to burn in or b) me to get used to the sound. Or a combination of the two.

Very happy with my cyrus now.

Have a look on the inside lid of the box the amp came in... Cyrus themselves say it can take a couple of months for the amp to settle in.

T

the record spot

Two days in is a little on the early side to make some conclusive judgements. Give it a few more days yet and then decide once your ears have become used to the sound. Did you buy online or instore? If online, you have 7 days from the day after the day of delivery/collection to exercise your right to return the item to the retailer. You only pay return postage. Them's the rules. If you bought instore and it's still not to your liking, have a chat with the dealer and see what they might be able to do for you.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts