Currys / Comet - Why bother! (A short rant! lol)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

yeah but no one was interested. I heard the same about recent panasonics. I was thinking about one of the new LED which are about as well, maybe the LG 9500, looks like a nice little number.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
armourtillo:yeah but no one was interested.

Well that's blatantly bull, you had 4 replies including from two of the resident dealers with excellent suggestions, you can't ask for much more than that. In fact it's you who don't seem to be interested, given that you haven't even bothered to reply to any of them!

Some people are unbelievable...

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
the_lhc:
6th.replicant:armourtillo:what' wrong with richer sounds? i was thinking of buying my new system there. Caveat emptor! Nothing really wrong per se, just don't believe a word they say; if you shake hands with anyone there, count your fingers afterwards; if the product needs to be returned/swapped more than once, they become a tad terse and unhelpful; economical with the truth re the price-matching policy; too pushy re in-house brands (ie Cambridge); and during hot summer days, the stores reek of the staff's BO.IMHO, best used as a discount store when you're 100% certain which product(s) you want.

That's funny, every one I've been have been the model of helpfulness. Yes it helps if you know what you want and if you know what you're talking about but that applies to anywhere. I went into a Sevenoaks recently and asked about the difference between two subwoofers, it quickly became apparent that the chap I was talking to really didn't have the faintest idea what he was on about, especially when he started telling me "facts" about one of the subs that I knew were incorrect.

Funny how there're are variables in each's experiences.

Only ever used one Sevenoaks (Bromley), thrice, and each time was a pleasure: staff seem to know their stuff; helpful & polite without being creepy-crawly; fair and open re price-matching; and were recently very civilised when I went through the aggro of returning (refund/credit) an iffy 4-month-old Philips TV.

My experiences at Richer Sounds are based on the Fulham Rd, City and Maidstone branches - IMHO, all as bad as each other (at least they're consistent).

A

Anonymous

Oh really? That so completely my bad. I don't use any other forums dude i hadn't checked as no one seemed interested straight away.

Chill out. and thanks for pointing that out.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
6th.replicant:the_lhc:
6th.replicant:armourtillo:what' wrong with richer sounds? i was thinking of buying my new system there. Caveat emptor! Nothing really wrong per se, just don't believe a word they say; if you shake hands with anyone there, count your fingers afterwards; if the product needs to be returned/swapped more than once, they become a tad terse and unhelpful; economical with the truth re the price-matching policy; too pushy re in-house brands (ie Cambridge); and during hot summer days, the stores reek of the staff's BO.IMHO, best used as a discount store when you're 100% certain which product(s) you want.

That's funny, every one I've been have been the model of helpfulness. Yes it helps if you know what you want and if you know what you're talking about but that applies to anywhere. I went into a Sevenoaks recently and asked about the difference between two subwoofers, it quickly became apparent that the chap I was talking to really didn't have the faintest idea what he was on about, especially when he started telling me "facts" about one of the subs that I knew were incorrect.

Funny how there're are variables in each's experiences. Only ever used one Sevenoaks (Bromley), thrice, and each time was a pleasure: staff seem to know their stuff; helpful & polite without being creepy-crawly; fair and open re price-matching; and were recently very civilised when I went through the aggro of returning (refund/credit) an iffy 4-month-old Philips TV.

I agree with that completely, my very first hi-fi shopping experience was with the Sevenoaks Witham branch, it was excellent, I really couldn't have asked for anything more from them, I think I got my amp, rack and turntable from them, used to love going there, live too far away now though.

My experiences at Richer Sounds are based on the Fulham Rd, City and Maidstone branches - IMHO, all as bad as each other (at least they're consistent).

Well the Bristol store is pretty good, although they did cut me off when I was playing hunt the Sonos zoneplayer by turning each zone up to full volume so I could work out where they were all plugged in last time I was in there! I guess I can't really blame them for that!
emotion-2.gif

chudleighpaul

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
Reading this thread reminds me of Jasper Carrot. He used to be very hard on Dixons (now Curry's Digital) staff, but his real venom was reserved for Argos assistants who "had failed their Woolworths exam"!!
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Not being able to speak very good English makes it tough in Curry's as well. Every time i tried to ask something it seemed to be that they didn't understand what i was saying or just didn't know what i was talking about. either way, frustrating.

It is quite funny though when you think of it that way. Going to check out Seven Oaks this weekend, everyone seems to have good things to say about them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts