Current set-up

T

the record spot

Not added anything to this section for ages, so thought I'd upload the current set-up. Not quite so many boxes as some of you have, but it does the job rather well I think!

Hi-Fiphoto.jpg

Apologies for the slightly fuzzy image, but this is NAD 3020A amp to the left, the Samsung DVD-HD950 universal player on top of the Marantz SA7001-KI Signature SACD/CD player which is the main one used for listening. The DVD-A capability in the Samsung comes in handy for the odd such disc. The "fence" in front of the stereo is the kids' collapsable metal playpen. Keeps their little hands off Daddy's toys...!

Then the fruits of their labours (the hi-fi's, not the kids!) are heard through these:-

DigitalCameraPhotos2001.jpg

Total bargain - Mission 752s for £80 off Ebay, about 15 years old, give or take a month or two and in superb nick.

Hi Fi World rates these as "cracking floorstanders" and WHF at the time were handing out 5 star reviews for anything in the Mission 75 series, so these were no exception. They are exceptionally good in this, the pre-Freedom incarnation. The original mesh-dome tweeter is anything but harsh.

Overall, the system gels nicely; good depth in the bass, full and expressive midrange and the treble is all present and correct without becoming too shrill. I could have a couple of minor gripes on some music, but the overall synergy is extremely impressive for what is effectively a mix of 1980s/90s/00s lower to middle price range components!

idc

I like it to. Is that a nice bit of granite under the Marantz? My kit is on a cupboard and I found granite to make an excellent isolation platform. I take it that is not the usual speaker positioning.

A

Anonymous

idc:I take it that is not the usual speaker positioning.

I was going to say they look a little close together
emotion-5.gif

Looks good. I like the fence too. I might get one for if i ever have clumsy types over!

T

the record spot

Yes, there's a Tesco granite slab under the CD player, and no, the speakers don't normally sit like that. There's roughly a 6 or 7 foot gap between the two typically. There's a bit more room to breathe with the 752s that the previous 733i - good though they were for their price - couldn't achieve.

Interconnects are all Audioquest. The Type IV speaker cable (solid core copper) from about 12 years back and more recently, their Copperhead interconnect between the Marantz and the amp. Roughly £60. A Qunex cable sits between the amp and the DVD player. Both work pretty well, but as fine tuning more than anything else.

The speakers were in that position as I had thought of selling them on originally. Let them settle in and they grew on me. Quite lean with the wrong kit however (the amp made all the difference here; better synergy, more warmth but still detailed enough to satisfy my listening needs from a tonal perspective).

T

the record spot

Not at the moment; it's upstairs awaiting repair to the mains lead (a real pain - the tear in the mains wire is right through to earth core cable (i.e. it cuts through the coloured internal shielding too). It could be repaired for £30, but the IEC connector is a definite option. Alternatively, I might get the right tool and take the case off to have a peek inside.

A

Anonymous

Fantastic looking system, bet those Missions are very involving. It worries me when I see 'child protection' items around hifi because it just reminds me of where I (hopefully) will be in a few years. Blimey, I might move into the loft...

A

Anonymous

Nice setup and it must feel all the better when you got a bargain on the Missions.

My fiance and I are not planning to have children, and when I think about how I poked and prodded my Dad's hi-fi, I think it is a good decision! I would hate to let a child loose around my hi-fi!

T

the record spot

igglebert:Fantastic looking system, bet those Missions are very involving.

They are, but need some careful matching - they're tonally lean, which isn't to say they won't do bass at all, but partnering them with my previous amp and current CD left me with a very open sounding set-up but one which was maybe too honest. Not enough depth didn't help, so that plus hearing all the nuances in bad recordings put me off after a while.

The NAD works but is a little more constrained than the Marantz amp - less of the huge soundstage, but more body. It's preferable, however, so I can live with it for the time being quite happily.

T

the record spot

PhilAllen:
Nice setup and it must feel all the better when you got a bargain on the Missions.

Yes, that was a bit of a winner in all honesty - I might well replace them at some point, but they're in fine fettle for now. The only thing under £500 I'd look at would be the Q Acoustics 1050i at £350 or less, but otherwise I'd want to upgrade. Another reason why that upgrade is some way off!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts