Current pics as of Dec 2009

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
izpuuteejs:just noticed that You use NAD cd player as transport + DAC, is the improvement noticeable and worth money or it's better to buy a ~1000-ish cd player?

Yes, the improvement is very noticable. But I guess it would depend on the DAC. I like the benchmark very much. I will say that although it defies logic, the transport still makes a difference to my ears.

Whether you should upgrade to an expense CDP or just buy a good DAC I think depends on what you plan to do in the future. I like the DAC because it gives greater flexibility. I can add a Wadia or a min mac later. I do believe that the NAD 545 feeding a benchmark DAC is competitive with a very high quality CDP.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Benchmark makes several models of the DAC1. I have the basic model. While I can use it directly connected to my amp, bypassing the pre-amp, I would lose the remote control (have to use the benchmark manual volume control) and I would lose the ability to hook up other sources. I'm happy with the NAD C165 in the loop. I tried it direct, and I couldn't tell a diff.

The more expensive benchmark DACs do have the ability to control multiple source and the top model has a remote control...

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
love the set up looks realy nice bet it sounds good to

oh and i thought i new your picture from somewhere but i couldnt think,i thought a friend must have had it but ive just seen it again,in the cafe in eastenders.

A

Anonymous

Jaxwired!

Althow a little late, let me congratulate you for the fantastic system.

In fact I'm also considering on buying the NAD pre+amp combo like yours.

Presently I have the C355 serving as a pre to feed the fantastic Emotiva UPA-2 power amplifer that I bough to Emotiva directly (www.emotiva.com) on the USA for such an encredible low low price.

You said that the pre+amp combo has less emphasis on the mid-bass frequencies than the C355, do you still feel this? Also how you caracterize the pre-amp combo sound comparing to the C355 in regards to bass, midrange, treble, SPL, soundstage etc etc??

Thank you very much and again congratulations for the such clean set up

A

Anonymous

beautiful set up Jaxwired.

Out of interest, where did you source the Panamax power conditioner as I can't find any UK distributors.

I really like the minimalistic approach. Very nice setup.
emotion-21.gif

That picture frame looked like a projector screen to me at first glance........... was quite surprised that it showed a picture in such a bright room
emotion-5.gif

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
valkilm: You said that the pre+amp combo has less emphasis on the mid-bass frequencies than the C355, do you still feel this? Also how you caracterize the pre-amp combo sound comparing to the C355 in regards to bass, midrange, treble, SPL, soundstage etc etc??

I would say that the NAD 165/275 combo is more neutral sounding than the C355. Don't get me wrong, I love the C355, but there is no doubt that the 165/275 sounds quite different. As good as the 355 is, the 165/275 betters it in pretty much all frequencies. The highs are a bit more detailed, the sound seems to emerge from a blacker background. The 355 has more emphasis in the mid bass region. The 165/275 combo has deepeer bass that will be immediately obvious to you if you switch, yet the bass is definately more articulate. The 165/275 is just in a different league. It's very very good in my humble opinion.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
sillyoldman: Out of interest, where did you source the Panamax power conditioner as I can't find any UK distributors.

I live in the United States. Panamax is highly available here. I'm surprised a big player like panamax isn't available in the UK. I've got the same problems with some of the UK brands. I'd love to hear the Leema products, but no US distributor...

A

Anonymous

nice set up i hope you added some baking soda to the sand
it then rises to the occassion,
good system though and looks nice as well.

A

Anonymous

I too am very impressed with this set up. The clean look and feel is definitely what I want when I move into my next apartment. I think the stand does it all.

Awesome work. I'll get pics of my current set up on here soon.

A

Anonymous

Lovely system!

I like the CD racks on the wall, are those the IKEA ones? I was looking at them but thought the CDs may fall out of them. Also how many CDs can you fit in one rack?

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Brisk:Lovely system! I like the CD racks on the wall, are those the IKEA ones? I was looking at them but thought the CDs may fall out of them. Also how many CDs can you fit in one rack?

Yes, they are from IKEA. Nice metal racks and unbelievably cheap. $7 each in the USA. I think they hold 76 CDs each. I have 2 more that I will put up when I need them. No real problems with the CDs falling out. Occassionally I get a CD that is just in a card board sleeve and has no jewel case. Those CDs don't work as well in the rack, but as long as they are surrounded by other normal cases its fine. The racks are a bit of a pain to mount on the wall...but for the price it's hard to beat...

A

Anonymous

jaxwired:

valkilm: You said that the pre+amp combo has less emphasis on the mid-bass frequencies than the C355, do you still feel this? Also how you caracterize the pre-amp combo sound comparing to the C355 in regards to bass, midrange, treble, SPL, soundstage etc etc??

I would say that the NAD 165/275 combo is more neutral sounding than the C355. Don't get me wrong, I love the C355, but there is no doubt that the 165/275 sounds quite different. As good as the 355 is, the 165/275 betters it in pretty much all frequencies. The highs are a bit more detailed, the sound seems to emerge from a blacker background. The 355 has more emphasis in the mid bass region. The 165/275 combo has deepeer bass that will be immediately obvious to you if you switch, yet the bass is definately more articulate. The 165/275 is just in a different league. It's very very good in my humble opinion.

Hello,

The sort of sound you describe seems a lot like the sound I have now, the Emotiva power amp delivers this sound, only the bass isn't as deep as the 355, I mean it has that attack, but also not that mid bass emphasis, I would describe the sound of the Emotiva a much more neutral and dry sound than the 355, but I'd prefer the bass to be deeper and low volumes...I'm using the 355 only as a pre amp

With classical music the Emotiva shines and delivers a better sound than the NAD, maybe due also to the high power output

TRENDING THREADS