Cryogenic treated, silver, braided interconnects

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
insider9 said:
Think I might have heard the freezing but marker pen? Hahaha, incredible!

To be fair it was a thousand times more credible than freezing, and believe it or not, according to Dave.co who witnessed some tests, it was proved to genuinely reduce read-errors. Marker pen had to be a certain shade of lime green to absorb laser scatter. Still it was a big con though, because the Reed-Solomon error correction built into CDs already fixes read errors 100% perfectly unless the data in a sector is so damaged that the audio skips, and no green pen can fix that. At the time, this magazine was just as full of baloney as the rest about it; you know the usual crap: crisper highs, better soundstage, deeper bass. All that stuff which can't possibly happen with a digital signal without DSP.

insider9

MajorFubar said:
insider9 said:

To be fair it was a thousand times more credible than freezing, and believe it or not, according to Dave.co who witnessed some tests, it was proved to genuinely reduce read-errors. Marker pen had to be a certain shade of lime green to absorb laser scatter. Still it was a big con though, because the Reed-Solomon error correction built into CDs already fixes read errors 100% perfectly unless the data in a sector is so damaged that the audio skips, and no green pen can fix that. At the time, this magazine was just as full of baloney as the rest about it; you know the usual crap: crisper highs, better soundstage, deeper bass. All that stuff which can't possibly happen with a digital signal without DSP.
Has the veil been lifted? And even the wife could hear the difference? :)

insider9

andyjm said:
insider9 said:
They quote: "better electrical properties including less electrical resistance"

A remarkable advance. 

So as I posted earlier, instead of using thicker copper cable, at virtually no cost, the answer is to cryogenically treat the cable and charge a huge markup.  Engineering or marketing?

The only study I could find on cryo treatment of copper (which was a combination of tempering at a high temp then a cry soak) was for the electrodes on spot welders.  The contact points of the electrodes have to be a limited size to allow for sufficient resistance heating of the metal being welded and  therefore increasing the size of electrode was not an option.  Even a marginal improvement in current flow was worth having in this case.

When I last checked, there was room down the back of my amp for the interconnects to use 0.2mm copper instead of 0.1mm copper.
Fair point Andy. I'm threading a thin line here being open minded enough but not stupid enough to believe marketeers.

So I guess you're saying if the price is right you wouldn't mind? Assuming already a thick enough cable is being used.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
nopiano said:
insider9 said:
Yes, it was green on the edge of the disc, and was meant to help the laser tracking or something. Less light scatter in the player too. I remember it well. ( I probably still have the pen I bought,nthough never could bring myself to use! )

I seem to remember reading in WHF magazine (must have been 1995-ish) that drilling out bits of a CD around the centre spindle would improve disc stability. This I tried, carefully lining up the drill adjacent to the centre. I proceeded to pull the trigger only for the drill bit to bite in to the plastic and then spin the disc off axis at 700RPM on my garage floor. The CD was face down and was obviously ruined. My girlfriend's self titled Beverley Craven CD I remember, so no real loss to the music collection.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I was / am tempted to try Deep Cryo some CD's if someone wants to come in halves with me. Not in the freezer dont want my CD's smelling like fish fingers

We need 2 copies same cd and then test them after.

Who is man enough...

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
insider9 said:

Did I really say that? I must have been really 'winging it' that day!

More importantly, I see you have the baby BK subwoofer, how do you get on with it?

I am really interested as I need something to place a small spotlight on/

jimmy1

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Just route your cables through your freezer *biggrin* what happened to good qaulity copper i remember when it was all fields round here lol

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
This professional service technician can't stop recommending how important cryogenically frozen cables are to high fidelity sound. clicky

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
You mind find this interesting it talks about cryogenics it is a wast of money .

https://youtu.be/lG-3KyURXqk

Interesting video with a great deal of sense spoken. Although for some reason I wanted to kick both of their heads in. Especially the guy in the red t-shirt.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Gaz37 said:
Would chucking your interconnects in the freezer overnight make them cryogenically treated?

Just wondering?

Not unless you live on the space station and store your food on the balcony or leave the window open.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Surely the pro-system on which the original recording was mastered would also need to have used cryogenically “enhanced” cables in order to pass on the claimed signal improvements?

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
The reason why it’s a wast of time to cryogenically freeze cables is because ones the cables goes back to room temperature the copper goes back to its original state before cryogenic freezing .

A cable is just passive cable until a signal is sent though the cable which is a very low signal so there is no proof that cable run-in or sticking battery’s to the cable to keep them run -in makes any difference to the cable or signal it’s just a cable company’s BS to make you think your getting something special as none of us are scientists so we take there word for it .

as long as the cables are the right impedance for your speakers and cable lengths that’s all you need to worry about the rest is cable jewellery

insider9

In most cases materials will change their properties when either warmed up significantly or frozen. Talking about temperature changes of over 200C.

Argument that you can significantly heat things up and cool them down or vice versa without any changes seems flawed.

insider9

In most cases materials will change their properties when either warmed up significantly or frozen. Talking about temperature changes of over 200C.

Argument that you can significantly heat things up and cool them down or vice versa without any changes seems flawed.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
The reason why it’s a wast of time to cryogenically freeze cables is because ones the cables goes back to room temperature the copper goes back to its original state before cryogenic freezing .

True of 100% pure copper but potentially not so if it contains impurities. Many metals can have permanent molecular changes imposed upon them by using heat and cooling in a controlled way. Carbon steel is a great example, and many alloys are also formed like this.

I’m not saying that cryogenic freezing of your interconnects will have any effect on your hifi’s sound, but I wouldn’t pay too much attention to those two ill informed, sanctimonious jokers in the video link you posted.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts