TonyHall

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
Yep. Love it.

I've yet to see a LCD TV that doesn't disappoint with its picture quality. Colours lack smooth gradation which renders the subjects with an unrealistic 'plastic' look, and SD artefacts are too prominent. Obviously these screens haven't been set up correctly, possibly too much auto image processing - I guess.

I haven't examined plasmas or much HD material but my lack of experience with these technologies means a sizeable lump of money stays in my bank account. :)

I won't be replacing my old faithful CRT telly until it eventually breaks down. Besides, I prefer music to the idiot box!

Cheers,
Tony

A

Anonymous

Good for you. I have to say I agree with you in part. LCD screens are not without their flaws. Plasmas are much better, though not perfect and still have processing issues for SD broadcasts. I maintain my old sony trinitron 28FX60 CRT had the best picture ive seen yet. Thanks for your reply.

HDNumpty

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
"Besides, I prefer music to the idiot box!" LOL LOL quotes Peter Kay's character from '24 Hour Party People':

(To Tony Wilson, who works on it...)
"you know what I call it - the Idiot Box. Idiot Box."

HDNumpty

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
Actually I disagree on CRT. When I got my first (2nd/3rd gen) LCD I was dissapointed with the colours etc. Its when you get to DVD upscaling that things change and the picture is far better (and larger) than any CRT - and therefore more fun! My 37" is now larger than any CRT ever made and offers good Freeview broadcast quality, certainly no worse than my old Pana CRT.

I think poor/compressed digital channels disapoint on Full HD and poor LCDs tho.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
i have a panny crt and will stick with crt for as long as possible, or until flat panels and hd become so attractive itd be churlish not to change.

however, im not overly impressed by the expense i have to go to to get a hd picture when im not much bothered by home cinema and ive a very limited budget. and i just cant get on board with those who say decent flat panels show SD well. just not true imo. i even saw that panny plasma everyone was raving about (even i was very keen) recently, showing SD, and was unimpressed. bad setup? oh, i can well believe that, its just that it was true to form of most flat panels ive seen with SD, tho i do prefer plasmas over lcds (make plasmas smaller please folks!).

so lets hope my crt doesnt die until everyones watching hd.

Drummerdave

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
When my Loewe Xelos crt died I replaced it with a Sony lcd - there is no comparison when watching SD, the Xelos had a much better picture.Now that I have Sky HD the quality is comparable but I still miss the Loewe.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
I only jumped ship when I emigrated... :)

...And after much faffing, I prefer LCD to Plasma, and now have 2, a 37 inch Philips, and a 40 inch Sony.

In hindsight I wished I'd waited a little, as neither do 24 FPS...bum

To be honest I would never go back to CRT. I could always see them flicker like mad. That problem doesnt exist on LCD.

T

the record spot

Yup, an old Samsung 21" - not seen anything as yet on LCD that makes standard TV broadcast look as seamless as any CRT. Depending on the quality of the set, football or rugby can be anything from acceptable/good to downright awful. We don't watch too many DVDs so the appeal of the current clutch of flatscreens - albeit improving - isn't going to make me rush out and buy a set anytime soon.

A

Anonymous

Yes. Using a 36" Phillips which, weighing in at 70kg, doesn't get moved around a lot.

A

Anonymous

Yes, we still have a 28" CRT in the lounge. Working well and the quality of the picture on the Toshiba is excellent. I'd love a new screen, but only due to an increase in size with no added bulk. I see no benefit of picture on SD, hoping to get into the world of HD soon though and that's where the real gains are.

Upstairs we have a 26" Sony LCD, but it's just running a basic DVD player and my PS2 at the mo. Got this as we're more limited for space up there and it quite happily sits on top of a shallow bookcase.

Saving up for something like a 40" or 42" but think we'll be moving house first.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts