CRT versus Plasma/LCD

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have read with great interest the discussions on the forum and when I got the mag and read the review of 42" tv's I was certain that I wanted the Panasonic TH42PX70 or the 700 if the sound is that much better. Then someone said "it is nearly as good as my old Panasonic CRT" which threw me into confusion. My CRT is a 10 year old 28" Panasonic which has served us well, but if I spend £1000 on a new tv and my wife thinks it it is only "nearly as good as the old one" I am dead!

Bottom line is, we watch quite a lot of tv, 90% is digital from SKY with terrestrial from a good aerial when I am recording Sky. We don't watch many dvd's as they don't look good with the wide format on a 28" tv and the sound is poor. I will consider Sky HD at sometime and I am looking at Sky +. Do the Team think that we will be happy with the Panasonic? I have been in a shop and looked at it and was impressed so I am not just going on the reviews honest.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes you will be happy with it. For a start the screen is much bigger, so it's a matter of comparing apples with oranges, and it'll look fine on the broadcasts you watch now, as well as making a lot more of your DVDs, thanks to the greater screen size. And when you get Sky HD, you'll be amazed...

A

Anonymous

That's true to a point but I have seen some very good top end CRT's that can match if not better the LCD's & for sure when I got my LG 37" LCD a few months back my old 28" widescreen was miles better so it all depends on what you buy because althoght CRT's are now out they still have a great picture on the top end ones it's just they are so bloody big.

Thankfully I sent the LG back & got a Sammy 97hdx & now it's hooked up to HD I see just how things have moved on it's great watching SD but HD is mind blowing & puts a smile on ya face.

Get your Panny get HD & I guarantee your wife will be happy but if for some reason she's not make her watch the TV upstairs get the beers in & enjoy.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your endorsement of my choice Andrew, I wonder what you think of the sound quality. We are reluctant to have an external sound system with cables and speakers all around and I noted that the 700 model was thought to have a superior sound, but for an additional £200 or so do you think it worth it. This is one element that is very difficult to judge in a shop environment.

A

Anonymous

I could move the old CRT to another room and I like the idea of the beers. How do you spell d i v o r c e again?
emotion-18.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Chicken_George"]
Thanks for your endorsement of my choice Andrew, I wonder what you think of the sound quality.

[/quote]

Asking the wrong person, I'm afraid, George - haven't heard a TV set yet that didn't sound pants, with the possible exception of the B&O sets with the optional soundbar speaker. But that's a little out of your price range.

However, you could consider one of these, which will almost certainly sound so much better than any TV's built-in speakers. Wireless subwoofer, too, and if you go for a black one you won't have to put up with all the 'a finger of fudge is just enough...' jokes.

A

Anonymous

No Chicken-George was freed and went to live in Henning Tenessee with his family. Don't know about his chickens though
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Thanks Andrew, I think we will go ahead with the PX70 and see if we like the sound or not and then follow your advice and check out the sound bar.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts