Critical systems

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I feel that in the light of a couple of recent threads, we really need to rationalise some of the contributions to this forum.

Firstly we need to expand on the signature that many use to list the components, it needs to be expanded so that all aspects of the system are detailed quite carefully. It is important that all details are included, including cables and set up so that we have a clear picture of the system.

This will enable us to properly evaluate the system so that we can determine the level of resolution that the system possesses, clearly some systems will have better resolution than others, that is the important bit.

Once we have evaluated the resolution of the system it will be possible to determine whether or not the differences being tested will actually be audible on that system or not. Clearly it is a waste of everyones time to read the views of someone who's system is incapable of resolving the differences in the items under test/discussion.

Ideally we would need some sort of scoring system that would rate systems and this could then be used to assertain which subjects would be valid for the owners to comment on, clearly those with an 'inadequate' system would not be allowed to comment on those matters deemed to to require a system with higher resolution.

If we were to get started on this project pretty much straight away, I can see no reason that we could not have something workable set up by, say, the first day of next month...*unknw*

jmjones

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
First up David, I’m supportive and game for a laugh. I also have a vested interest. Over the last few years, I’ve thought how I may improve my system at a fairly reasonable cost (doubling the cost of a component works for me). Not worked it out, other than the Oppo which I’ve found to be a great source component. My kit is in my signature.

Given that I like the flexibility to do just about anything. How would you like to rip my system to bits and people could add their contributions?

insider9

davedotco said:
I feel that in the light of a couple of recent threads, we really need to rationalise some of the contributions to this forum.

Firstly we need to expand on the signature that many use to list the components, it needs to be expanded so that all aspects of the system are detailed quite carefully. It is important that all details are included, including cables and set up so that we have a clear picture of the system.

This will enable us to properly evaluate the system so that we can determine the level of resolution that the system possesses, clearly some systems will have better resolution than others, that is the important bit.

Once we have evaluated the resolution of the system it will be possible to determine whether or not the differences being tested will actually be audible on that system or not. Clearly it is a waste of everyones time to read the views of someone who's system is incapable of resolving the differences in the items under test/discussion.

Ideally we would need some sort of scoring system that would rate systems and this could then be used to assertain which subjects would be valid for the owners to comment on, clearly those with an 'inadequate' system would not be allowed to comment on those matters deemed to to require a system with higher resolution.

If we were to get started on this project pretty much straight away, I can see no reason that we could not have something workable set up by, say, the first day of next month...*unknw*

Yes, I agree. We should also itemise the whole sytem in descending order of RRP rounded to the nearest pound. And next to each item include price/resolution coeficient. After all we wouldn't want anyone to be misled by not very resolving components be it amplifiers, speakers or cables. I think it would also be helpful to include who provides our electricity.

However I would object to the proposed deadline. I believe it isn't workable these calculations are quite intesive and require more notice. I propose these changes to coincide with Brexit date whenever this may be.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
Don’t forget the need to room dimensions, distance between speakers, placement relative to walls and listening position and full inventory of furnishings and sound absorbing cats and dogs. No, forget it, these can’t be relevant to anything relating to sound.

jmjones

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
But it’s good to look for ideas and advice from the best source you can. Other people can have an opinion on the kit you use, maybe making positive suggestions for improvement. Start a positive discussion, see where it goes. As long as a little logic is applied, works for me.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:
davedotco said:

Yes, I agree. We should also itemise the whole sytem in descending order of RRP rounded to the nearest pound. And next to each item include price/resolution coeficient. After all we wouldn't want anyone to be misled by not very resolving components be it amplifiers, speakers or cables. I think it would also be helpful to include who provides our electricity.

However I would object to the proposed deadline. I believe it isn't workable these calculations are quite intesive and require more notice. I propose these changes to coincide with Brexit date whenever this may be.

Yes, I think that is a good idea, we can use RRP to form a sort of weighting system so that we can give preference to more resolving, naturally more expensive systems.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I would just like to say that I don't listen to my system.....Mrs. Cno does and then tells me if it's resolving enough. *crazy*

Seakiwi

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
I fear in your drive for excellence in advice you have omitted the single most important factor.

The ears of the person doing the listening and advising.

Advice should also be rated based on an approved hearing test validating the ability of the advice provider to actually hear the full range of frequencies being commented on. This should, of course, then result in a rating system to be included in the signature of advice givers, and only those with aproven level of hearing should be able to offer advice to buyers considering gear above a set price point.

insider9

After a little thought I'm not sure if the RRP coeficient would be appropriate. After all if I paid for my amplifier under the RRP is it still as resolving? Should we disclose the prices we paid without rounding them up and exactly as we paid not including postage? That includes method of payment and if card was used last 4 digits so the informantion is credible.

As to the idea of sharing details of electric supplier it would also be helpful to include the tarrif you're on. For those with generators please include type of fuel you're getting your electric from.

insider9

Seakiwi said:
I fear in your drive for excellence in advice you have omitted the single most important factor.

The ears of the person doing the listening and advising.

Advice should also be rated based on an approved hearing test validating the ability of the advice provider to actually hear the full range of frequencies being commented on. This should, of course, then result in a rating system to be included in the signature of advice givers, and only those with aproven level of hearing should be able to offer advice to buyers considering gear above a set price point.

I'm afraid I only have a basic test done a couple of weeks ago. Would this qualify? Or do I need to see an audiologist?

26036269267_d1dad84834_h.jpg

Seakiwi

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
No I can't say I see that resolving the issue.

There is no mention of frequency ranges used or, for that matter, the cables used to connect the testing gear or type of device used to replicate said frequencies into your receptors.

Also..we need to know if electronics are plugged straight into the wall sockets or expensive mains conditioners are being used.....and what type of fridge and other electric equipment are being used throughout the said abode.. Which might cause interference and hinder the overall performance of the stereo equipment in question.

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
The signature should also include the electrical cables inside the walls and those connecting the house to the power plant.

A full description of the power plant wouldn't go amiss.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

I think if you spend your time writing this sort of asinine vacuous stuff you need to have a long think, if you are set on just annoying people and not thinking intelligently and dealing with people as such. I wonder what type of people you actually are. But it probably wouldn’t concern those who aren’t bothered that I could have these concerns. Everything is game on the Internet. Nobody has concern for others.

I’ve always thought that those who intentionally take pleasure in others dissatisfaction and suffering are the worst types. It shows the real level of intelligence of the person, but karma comes around and it will be eating them up in some other way in their lives. What comes around goes around. Some people on this forum, you can tell are decent, but there are an awful lot of people who aren’t, and who will probably retort with the usual unintelligent schoolboy stuff currying favour with others to gain ‘respect’. If some of you are rather normal, I wonder what you are actually trying to do. All I’ve done is give an opinion, develop an argument and debate, for which you meet out veiled and somewhat pathetic attempts to put people down which is vindictive, toxic, and damn right illegal. If you come on forums to have out with issues, but yet you resort to this, what does it say. It says a lot about how you can actually deal with it, and the fact some of you have probably never stepped outside the schoolyard in your safe psychological minds, still little boys putting people down in the only way you know. With no real idea of the damage people like you do.

do you actually revel in making people uncomfortable. There will be people, not just me, who are looking at this thinking it’s targeted at them, and whilst Ellis has kindly offered to demonstrate kit, you unwittingly put him down in the comments on here.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Quest it's obvious this post was all a bit of fun, aimed at no one person in particular, and so far, after loads of people have gone along with it and contributed in their own way,up to now you've been the only person offended, obviously because you chose to be. Lighten up my friend and have a laugh. Life's too short.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Seakiwi said:
It is simply humour, and there is nothing wrong with a bit of humour.

Laugh and move on.

You think this is meant to be funny?

It is a serious attempt to bring some order to this forum by giving preferential treatment to those contributers who have spent substantial sums of money on a hi-resolution system that enables them to analyse and give us the benefit of their opinions on matters that most of the rest of us can not hope to hear.

This is important stuff!