creek evolution 50A and Arcam fmj a19

hybridauth_Facebook_664715932

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone,

i was after an amplifier for a long time and i bought one today from audio affair birmingham. my speakers are bw cm5, cd player marantz cd6005. i had a musical fidelity e10 amp, which i had for almost 20 years, i auditioned mf m3i a couple of years and was rather dissapointed with the sound so 2 years later i was again on the hunt. I narrowed down the list to creek evo 50a and fmj a19. i know rotel makes good pair with bw but i wanted to buy a british amp. unfotunetly, audioaffair don't stock bw so i asked them to use a pair of focal for the audition. first up was the creek, first impression it sounded a bit flat so the advisor said give it a 10 mins or so. came the 2nd track i could see or rather hear the difference straight away, it produced the sound exactly to my taste, not in your face, nice and subtle bass, was not boomy at all, string instruments were well pronounced and i could hear instuments on the recording i never herd before. than we swithed to fmj a19, we played the same tracks even though it had the same laid back appeal as the creek, but creek sounded much more refined a mature particularly the bass sounded much more real. so i choose the creek and also bought the arcam irdac to pair up with the amp as i use my ipod a lot. also bought the chord carnival silver screen speaker cable. i should have all the items deliverd by monday next week. can't wait to get my hands on them.

could any one please tell me what is the run in time for new amp and dac?

thanks for reading

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Naim quote about 6 months plus.

Vladimir will probably say about a millisecond.

I'd guess for a SS amplifier circuit to stabilize completely perhaps 30 seconds. However, it has been measured that distortion pattern change with temperature so it seems plausible that until the amplifier reaches optimal operating temperature for a given volume, sound could change.

regards

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:

I'd guess for a SS amplifier circuit to stabilize completely perhaps 30 seconds. However, it has been measured that distortion pattern change with temperature so it seems plausible that until the amplifier reaches optimal operating temperature for a given volume, sound could change.

regards

This is an interesting one.

I was always convinced in my time as a dealer that amplifiers (in particular) always sounded better at optimum temperature, ie nicely warmed up. I was so convinced of that, that I could walk into a dem room and tell if an amplifier was being used cold.

However, as was pointed out to me the other day, modern amplifiers use feedback so the feedback circuits should automatically compensate for any issues, temperature related or otherwise, so 'run in' and 'temperature effects' should really be minimal.

I 'know' I heard the difference, now I am wondering, what did I really hear?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
davedotco said:
I was always convinced in my time as a dealer that amplifiers (in particular) always sounded better at optimum temperature, ie nicely warmed up. I was so convinced of that, that I could walk into a dem room and tell if an amplifier was being used cold.

Every amp I've owned (and many I've demoed), have sounded better once they had warmed up (from stone cold)....to my ears anyway.

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
davedotco said:
drummerman said:

regards

This is an interesting one.

However, as was pointed out to me the other day, modern amplifiers use feedback so the feedback circuits should automatically compensate for any issues, temperature related or otherwise, so 'run in' and 'temperature effects' should really be minimal.

I 'know' I heard the difference, now I am wondering, what did I really hear?

How about actives? Do they sound better warmed up?....................... Joking!!!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
ChrisIRL said:
How about actives? Do they sound better warmed up?....................... Joking!!!

Oh yes ...

burning.png

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:

regards

Depends how fast you shovel coal into it.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
davedotco said:

Every amp I've owned (and many I've demoed), have sounded better once they had warmed up (from stone cold)....to my ears anyway.

Ah yes but some amplifiers have measured worse when warm ...

regards

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
drummerman said:
CnoEvil said:
davedotco said:

Ah yes but some amplifiers have measured worse when warm ...

regards

Does your amp sound the same whether stone cold or well warmed up?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvi Does your amp sound the same whether stone cold or well warmed up? [/quote said:
Good question. I once (many years ago) thought yes and since then I tend to switch my systems on about ten or twenty minutes if I plan to listen with more attention than just back ground music.

So, my answer is ... I don't really know

regards

Animesh, I suggest you do a couple of things. One, is ask your dealer when you collect your amplifier. Second, see what the manual says. Third thing is not to worry about it!

The sound will be so much better you won't really be able to tell at first. You will probably enjoy a lot of your music all over again. These things are typical when we upgrade.

I agree with those who find a warm amp sounds better, but then the room is probably warmer by then, I am more comfortable in my chair, and I have "tuned into" the system after a while. All hard to break down scientifically. But since when was enjoying music scientific?

hybridauth_Facebook_664715932

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
nopiano said:
Animesh, I suggest you do a couple of things.  One, is ask your dealer when you collect your amplifier. Second, see what the manual says.  Third thing is not to worry about it!

The sound will be so much better you won't really be able to tell at first. You will probably enjoy a lot of your music all over again. These things are typical when we upgrade.?

I agree with those who find a warm amp sounds better, but then the room is probably warmer by then, I am more comfortable in my chair, and I have "tuned into" the system after a while.  All hard to break down scientifically. But since when was enjoying music scientific?

Thanks nopiano. Can't wait!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts